1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Street preaching that effective in this day and age.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 11, 2017.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think one issue is that pretty much everything used to be done by "street vocalizing". News was spread by a man in the middle of town yelling out what was happening and then the townspeople listening and passing the news on. If a preacher came to town, people would stop what they were doing and run and listen to him. That is what was happening in Bible times - people were actually listening as they were addressed. But when we see videos today of street preachers, it is someone standing on a soapbox and spouting words with no one listening but people rushing by. Yeah, someone may stop and yell and make fun of someone and rarely maybe someone may ask a question - usually to bait the street preacher - but I don't see how anything is falling on listening ears. We can't compare this to what was happening in the Bible at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of people in this thread who have never actually done street preaching just have opinions and thats it.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that so many of us have never done street preaching?

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh...... Sometimes one gets tired of these endless debates around here. Bought me some 10 stamps and am going to mail letters to 10 individuals (not churches nor abortion centers) but individuals. As Desmond Doss said in Hacksaw Ridge "Just one more Lord" I also seek just one more soul to evangelize. Just one more Lord.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty's question was valid. How do you know so many people aren't out open-air preaching? Or are you just assuming because they seem to be in disagreement with you?

You're aware Doss was a 7th Day Adventist, right?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

True open air preachers do not give up. 7th Day Adventism has some false doctrines, but I cannot say that 100% of adventists are not saved.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you say they're not out there; now you imply they've given up. Shouldn't you identify who's not out there before you judge their lack of commitment?
    That's what I was hoping you'd say. Of course, it really depends on what they're placing their faith in.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have noticed that it's much harder to get people's attention these days due to the obsession with smartphones.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And aftr that evnt, the church grew and miltipled by cell groups and witnessing person to person!

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the Gospl is the power of God unto salvation, so need to have the right message!

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I don't believe in the "elect" as salvation is for all.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, John 3:16 does not speak of an "elect"group getting saved, but rather WHOSOEVER, "all" who believe will be saved. Now I see where we differ. Not only in politics, but in theology. Check your heart at the door brother. Heaven has some big surprises for the close minded, elected only group.

• Agree Agree x 1