1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Suicide a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rex77, Jun 15, 2006.

1. standingfirminChrist

Does the Bible say he is? If he is, then God has made Himself a liar, for His Word says no murderer shall inherit the kingdom. If one kills someone and repents and asks God to forgive him of that great sin of murder, then God is faithful and just to forgive that sin. But one cannot ask forgiveness for murder and then go commit that murder.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

From 1 Samuel 9, 10 it sure sounds like Saul is in Heaven. The Bible doesn't say one way or the other, but to be annointed by God Himself should tell you something.

It amazes me that you snub your nose at Scripture that states blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the ONLY unpardonable sin.

The "murderer" who cannot inherit the Kingdom has commited the unpardonable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which is the denial of Jesus Christ as God.

#22 webdog, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  3. standingfirminChrist

It is amazing that one snubs nose at the scripture that says

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

SFIC,

In another thread, you stated that salvation can't be lost. Now, you say that it can. Which is it?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and it duly amazes me that someone who claims "preaching the Gospel" as an occupation cannot decipher context, but instead eisegetes a text to read what they want it to say.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He believes you can't...unless you are a murderer, sorcerer, idolater, and liar which includes...EVERYONE, other than that, we're pretty secure, huh? :rolleyes:

7. standingfirminChrist

The true christian will not commit suicide, no matter what anyone says.
    God does not allow so much on us that it would cause us to commit suicide.

One cannot lose one's salvation and I have never said one could... in this thread or any other.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So true Christians can commit any other kind of sin besides murder and suicide? Is there a sin nature clause that negates murder and suicide?

9. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

There was a pastor in Colorado who comitted suicide a while back - Ken Stephens I believe. Anyone have any thoughts on that as it applies to this discussion?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Ken Stephens put his faith in Jesus Christ, I look forward to seeing him in Heaven, sucide or not.

11. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

I think the testimony of his life evidences that he knew Christ.

12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Hopefully so but not necessarily so!
    God reads hearts and knows all things! We do not!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It will be God who has the final say. Who art thou oh man who would judge another man's servant?
    If the heart quits you die.
    If the lungs quits you die.
    If the liver quits you die.

If the brain quits who knows? Better left up to God don't you think? Is it murder if you don't know what you are doing?

14. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

This is true. God knows the heart.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There is one thing I have never let myself do and that is who is going to Heaven. I do judge another fruits to what kind of person I think he/she is but "who is going to Heaven" is not mine to make.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do think a believer can commit suicide and be in heaven - it just so happens that his/her last act is this one, regrettably. But if that person is in Christ, this last sin is forgiven just as any other sin is forgiven. Many people who kill themselves seem overwhelmed, and true, their faith may be low when they do this, but we don't lose salvation just because our faith is low.

This might be for another thread which I might start later: I am not sure Saul is in heaven - not because of his suicide, but because of his disobedience in the matter of the Amalekites (sp?) causing God to take His Spirit away from Saul, before he killed himself. In fact, that was why Saul consulted the medium - God was not answering him. Saul is condemned pretty strongly in 1 Chron. 10.13.

17. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Actually God killed Saul, according to scripture! 1Chron 11: 13,14

#37 2BHizown, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  18. standingfirminChrist

1 Chron 11:13, 14 have no mention of God killing Saul. As a matter of fact, in another place we read that Saul took his own life by falling on his own sword; 1 Samuel 31:4.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He cited the wrong verse number.

20. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Saul, killed by God

Yes, thanks! Times when my brain works faster than my fingers, thankfully!
    Point is that God did kill Saul!
    My bible notes state: Saul's disobedience was both active and passive, he not only did wrong, but he failed to do right. He actively disobeyed by attempting murder, ignoring God's instructions, and seeking guidance from a witch. He passively disobeyed by neglecting to ask God for guidance as he ran the kingdom. Obedience too, is both passive and . It is not enough just to avoid what is wrong. We need to actively pursue what is right.
    His frantic requests to God came only when he had tried everything his own way. He never went to God unless there was nowhere else to turn. When he finally asked God refused to answer. Saul sought God only when it suited him and God rejected him for his constant stubborness and rebellion. God arranged a defeat in battle so Saul would die and his kingdom would be taken from his family. If Saul had not taken his own life, the Philistine soldiers would have killed him. God's choice and decision for his gross failure!