1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is taking morphine, demeral, and other pain meds sinful?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by webdog, Jun 30, 2005.

1. OCC

OCC Guest

I shall try my best Rachel. [​IMG]

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

King James,

I think I agree with you. I don't think the medications themselves are sinful. I think abuse of them is, and I think violating laws regarding them is.

3. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Why are you so concerned with what somebody else thinks about your medication? Take the pill already!

4. OCC

OCC Guest

TS..we are in total agreement. [​IMG]

Pronto said: "Why are you so concerned with what somebody else thinks about your medication? Take the pill already!"

I say: If you are addressing me then you really don't have to bother. I don't take any medication, pills, suppositories or anything else. And no need to shout brother.

5. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

These questions are interesting to ponder, but there are so many different scenerios, so many different reactions from person to person, so many reasons why each individual should or should not take certain drugs, etc that it can't truly be answered...especially now, if we're not in a particular situation to take them at this time.

And if we ARE on certain medications at this present time, it's none of our business.

If a father with an ailment is in so much pain that he's yelling at his kids and wife over evey little annoyance, then perhaps it'd be wrong NOT to take heavy medications. We have the technology to help people with medications that could be considered recreational drugs on the street. Just because a group of people abuse the drugs shouldn't mean those who need them shouldn't benefit from them when they need them.

Hypodermic needles are used by drug addicts. Should that imply insulin dependant diabetics shouldn't take their medicine if it requires a needle?

Satanic cults sacrifice animals. Should that mean we shouldn't own a pet?

Dust-off is used a qhick high among teenagers today. This is a product-many of you know-that sprays out compressed air to remove dust from tight places on your computer and keyboard. It's odorless, shows no remaining signs except death ( PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE) Tragic as this product could cause teenagers who think it's harmless, does it mean we shouldn't have the product in our house?

What about metalic spray paint? Kids get a high off of this, also. We shouldn't have this in our house?

The point I'm trying to make is that if we are offered a medicine that carries a poor image on the streets, but our doctor recommends it for us, we have to weigh the benefits with the risks. I've been on very heavy painkillers. I don't get the high people speak about. The only good feelings I get is the removal of pain.

Sometimes, it'd be a sin NOT to take the medicine prescribed if the Lord has given the doctors and scientists the wisdom to help us.

I recently weighed the risks with benefits concerning red wine to lower cholesterol and help keep my heart strong. My mother had a heart attack this year, both sides of my family battled high cholesterol and all died of stroke or heart attacks (grandparents, that is).

In my case, I decided it was too risky to take the wine because there are alternatives, doctors can't prove it is the only option, and my husband, though hasn't had a drop of alcohol in his life, could be one if he tried it.

However, if red wine was very very benefitial and there were no options, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and keep it hidden if I had to.

We have to make these decisions individually--not based on what people think about us. If we pray about it and clear it with God, we shouldn't have to explain it to our friends and neighbors. If our friends are going to judge us based on an intelligent decision, is that person really a friend? [​IMG]

6. OCC

OCC Guest

Well said VictoryinJesus. [​IMG]

7. Victory in Jesus

Thank you, King James.

8. Pronto

Pronto New Member

The things people waste time "seriously" thinking about is truly amazing.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who said this is a "serious" discussion? It's a spin off from another thread. In your short time on here you have had no positive input. If trolling is your thing, go find a bridge to live under.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Water can cause death if too much is taken.

11. OCC

OCC Guest

And stay away from my bridge while yer at it! [​IMG]

12. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

13. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

[​IMG] I concur, God gave us minds to make responsible decisions. He is the Great Physician, He gives physcians the knowledge to decide what is the best medicine for the patient.

If I'm in pain and my Dr. prescribes a pain killer, it's my responsibility to use the medication as prescribed.

We can't say: "well if I become addicted God will get me out of it", again, He gave the ability of freedom of choice. Drs. are responsible to be alert if the patient is asking for more of the drug when it's not necessary. Albeit there have been some instances where a Dr. over prescribes, but those are rare.

Once agian I want to say I agree with you. [​IMG]

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since this is the general time of "the end", knowledge is increasing by leaps& bounds as God prophesied through His angel to Daniel.

As many of you know, my wife was critically injured in a schoolbus rollover December ,2000. First, God performed a miracle in keeping her alive. His next part of his miracle was to heal her beyond all human expectations, with her mental faculties and personality intact. However, she DOES have pain when the weather is changing, & muscle spasms at irregular intervals. She takes pain meds only when needed, and has refused all offers of Oxycontin, etc. for fear of becoming strung out. She says she can endure without "habit-forming dope" and doesn't wanna undo what God has done for her. However, she is NOT against theuse of such meds AS REALLY NEEDED. She DID use them short-term, but quit when she left the hospital.

Along with her, I see nothing with PROPER USE of such meds. BTW, she almost certainly wouldn't be here if not for blood transfusions, as she bled internally for over a week.

A word of advice...If you have a critically-ill/injured family member for whom you are legally responsible, remember to request and sign all release and permission forms early on, so your loved one can receive care such as a transfusion soon as the need arises, w/o delay caused by the hospital's having to locate you to secure permission. I believe the Holy Spirit gave me the foresight to do that despite the chaotic conditions at the time.

As others have noted, ANYTHING, even water, can be abused. Drinking vast amounts of water can cause sudden death by washing away the electrolytes your heart needs to conduct its electrical functions.

NOTHING that saves lives or alleviates pain & suffering can in itself be evil, but evil people can put anything to evil use, even the Bible itself.

15. Victory in Jesus

Sorry to hear about your wife, Robycop3. I didn't know that.

I do hope she keeps meds on hand for times when the pain becomes unbearable. I'll certainly be praying for her.

16. ChristianBigDog

ChristianBigDog New Member

Anything taken to excess is a sin, the bible doesn't say not to drink, it says not to get drunk. It also says not to be a stumbling block for your brother.

It is not a matter of the drugs or the taking of drugs being sinful. It is the misuse or the abuse that is the sin.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A big hearty AMEN to this "unique(?)" concept!

Incidentally, talking about the good being disqualified because of others mis-use, I strongly doubt that the majority on this board are virgins!

And to those of you who think that we should not use______ (you fill in the blank) because it's associated with addicts, well read the previous sentence and think a little!

18. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO not at all!! I Have to take Pain Medications Everyday! I take Three Heavy Seditives so I can function throughout the day.

All my Medications are Prescribled by my Doctor! I am Severely Disable, this is why I have to take these! God Gave Doctors Skills, thus I am here today typing this, even after I died from my birth defect surgery in 1965.

Love Always, YSIC \o/

KristiAnn
    MsGuidedAngel

19. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Goodness. Any kind of pain medication, prescription or otherwise, is not sinful provided it is taken for pain and not to alter sobriety.

I would say the same is true of alcohol. I just can't believe someone who enjoys a glass or two of wine over an evening without losing their sobriety has sinned. I think wine can be used for recreational purposes, like any mind-altering substance, and that would be sin.

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my area, Oxycontin seems to be the most-abused legitimate drug, while there's a well-known crack connection between Detroit and Huntington, WV. Huntington and Charleston, WV have had more than their share of murders lately, and the quadruple homicide in Huntington thai past May was most likely in every US & Canadian news source. My sources tell me that 3 of those people were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. They had stopped to score some pot from a local candyman at the same time some people had arrived to whack that dealer.

This homicide is unique because two of the vics were white. Almost all the other murder vics have been black, as have been the perps.

Crack & heroin have no medical use.

There have been several doctors in this area busted for violations of drug laws involving Oxy. One was a well-known man with a fairly large practice whom I knew, from my ambulance work, to be a highly-skilled physician who saved more than one life & restored the quality of living to many others. He ran a ring involving former patients of his to whom he'd prescribe Oxy; for a hefty fee,those patients would deliver the Oxy to certain other people; the patients split that fee with the doctor. He was caught when a pharmacist grew suspicious about the number of scrips this doc wrote for Oxy & contacted some other pharmacies,who confirmed that they also had an abnormally-large # of Oxy scrips from the same doc. They contacted the Feds who soon busted him.

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2002/06/28/news/export9503.txt

As a police "insider", I knew more about it than the paper published.

There were also some quacks in South Shore, KY & Portsmouth, OH who were busted in a separate "sting".

However, am I for the outlawing of all drugs that can be abused? Absolutely NOT! I believe God created the basic elements from which they're made...He certainly created the OPIUM POPPY...and allowed man to discover how to make the drugs. Like many of God's creations, they're a 2-edged sword that can be used for good or evil.

If my wife or I need to use a powerful painkiller, we can do so with a clean conscience.