1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Altar Call Scriptural

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! :thumbs:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, red nose pitts with some hounds but those things are crazy when wound up & take forever to calm down.
    LA & Ole Miss use Cur Dogs like Black Mouth Curs. I like them ....more versatile.

My brother is the reason I got 3 Bulldogs. He starts preachin & the wife lets the dogs loose. LOL.

I think the key is to have a Pastor educating vs a Preacher indoctrinating.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've an acquaintance (a very tough one at that) from N FL that hunts hogs with dogs, and they'll run the hogs down and hold them, and they actually will castrate and then loose the big boars so that they will be good eating later on when they run them down and catch them again. Heheh, I have about as much desire to do that as I do to noodle for snapping turtles..... :)

I think it is key to have a Pastor who derives great joy from the word.

#83 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Very well said. ((((AMEN!!!!)))))))

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have never done an altar call personally, and unless God presses this on me VERY HARD, I would never do it. Too many times, the preacher takes this on himself, and this gets him nowhere. I have been in church services before that did these, and you should have heard all the "play on words", or "theatrics" they used to make them "tear loose from their seat and come running to the altar to RECEIVE THE LORD!!!" YECK!!

I have a saying that I haven't heard anyone else use, but I may not be the first to say this: "If God can't shake'm, how can I??" I believe that salvation is between that individual and God ALONE!! They have to go to the Lord for themself, and not another!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good post Willis....
    http://www.sgbcsv.org/literature/WhyWeDoNotUseTheInvitationalSystem.pdf

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op asks if an "Altar Call" is Scriptural.

No. This is a man-made invention that perverts and hinders genuine work of God. BUT it gives "numbers" and a "head count" even better than raising hands. So strokes the egos of the number-centered ministries.

BTW, any Baptist church with an "altar" like a Catholic or Lutheran church is not worthy of the name Baptist.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Our pastor gives altar calls. He does not tell people that they have to come to the altar to be saved, but that the altar is open if they would like to come forward to pray. He tells them they can trust Christ right where they are in their seats if they will.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If a baptist pastor in this country invited people to come to the altar, most would wonder where he meant, as baptist chapels don't have altars.

Having said that, I am sure there are some churches here that use the invitation system.

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have always understood an alter call as an opportunity for someone to profess Christ publicly for the first time. This makes it easier to do so in front of those who are of alike belief. To use the "If God can't shake'm, how can I?" excuse to condemn the altar call is the same as those who justify not supporting missions or intentionally getting the Word out into their very own community.

Are altar calls in the scripture? Not specifically, but then neither is the use of radio, TV or internet to plant the Seed and harvest the fruit. Why harvest? Because the new believer is like a babe in the Word and needs guidance. But OH, I guess there are even those who would say "If God can not guide them, how can I?".

Alter calls can be abused just as radio, TV, INTERNET, visitation even the regular gathering of Christian believers can be abused.

God gave man an intellect. The responsibility that a Christian (the Elect) is to do what Col 3.17 says to do. Anything else is of man.

To generally condemn a person or a group because they do something different than you or your kind do it, is to be Pharisaical.

Even on this board we should be following.
    Col 3:17 (NKJV) 17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Just my thoughts

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Good response

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And with that our page-limit is reached.

As per the op (asking if it is scriptural) appreciate all the Scriptures that proved the modern altar call is correct.

:tonofbricks:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.