1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Anti KJVO Movement making a difference?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Oct 14, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

---------------------------------------------------
    I think this shows why cults are so dangerous.
    --------------------------------------------------

This is also another FALSE ACCUSATION of your bretheren that you have not provided ONE scriptural support for. Let me give you the definition of a cult, since you seem NOT TO UNDERSTAND this word either:

cult: 1. a system of religious worship or ritual 2. devoted attachment to a person, principle, etc., 3. a sect - cult'ism' n. cult'ist n.

Again, you have made the claim that what I believe is not scriptural, yet have provided NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT to make such a claim, and then call us a cult? You make these bold, and unfounded accusations and claims, without any evidence of such whatsoever, EVEN WITHIN THE CONFOUNDS OF THE DEFINITION of the word "cult" itself.

I would heed to remind you, and warn you, that the Scribes and Pharisees of Jesus day, called him beezlebub. You are walking dangerously close to this:

Matthew 10

13. And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
    14. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
    15. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
    16. Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
    17. But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
    18. And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
    19. But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
    20. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
    21. And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
    22. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
    23. But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
    24. The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
    25. It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
    26. Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.
    27. What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.
    28. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 12

21. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.
    22. Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
    23. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
    24. But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
    25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
    26. And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
    27. And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
    28. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
    29. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
    30. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
    31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
    32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
    33. Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

2. michelle

michelle New Member

Sorry, michelle, I don't need to "support" my position, because I've not made a claim that only one version of the Bible is God's Word. You do make that claim; therefore, you need to back it up. I have never said God does not preserve His Word. I believe He does. Why should I support a claim that I share in common with you?

Sorry, but the Lord commands us otherwise. You do NEED to prove your belief with the scriptures, since this is where our beliefs come from, and should come from. You belief is that God has allowed alterations of HIS words of truth, to which IS CONTRARY TO THE SCRIPTURAL TRUTH. This is what the Lord commands:

1 Thessalonians 5

1. But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
    2. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    3. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
    4. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
    5. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
    6. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
    7. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
    8. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
    9. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
    10. Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
    11. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
    12. And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
    13. And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
    14. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
    15. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
    16. Rejoice evermore.
    17. Pray without ceasing.
    18. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
    19. Quench not the Spirit.
    20. Despise not prophesyings.
    21. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
    22. Abstain from all appearance of evil.
    23. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    24. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
    25. Brethren, pray for us.
    26. Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.
    27. I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.
    28. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

and ......

Acts 17

11. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Ephesians 6

1. Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
    2. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
    3. That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
    4. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
    5. Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;
    6. Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
    7. With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:
    8. Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.
    9. And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.
    10. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
    11. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
    15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
    16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
    17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
    18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Remember also that the Lord has said, 3 times in the scriptures, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

michelle

3. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Is Homosexuality condemned in the bible? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, homosexual behavior is condemned in Scripture, along with a manifest list of other sins.

How is that even relevant to the issue of Bible versions? There are a great many pro-gay theologians that actually DO use the KJV.

Perhaps you should quit using the "guilt by association" and "cause and effect" fallacies of debate/logic/argumentation and stick the issue at hand. Rather than throwing out red herrings, James, show us the Scripture that says "The KJV is God's Word for the English speaking world to the exclusion of all other translations."

4. michelle

michelle New Member

KJVOnlyists say that God has preserved His Word/s in the KJV ONLY.

This statement shows where and why you and many err and false accuse others, and have absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of our belief. It is because you choose to blindly believe and follow mens opinions and fight only the labels, rather than looking at the truth being shared with you.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

5. michelle

michelle New Member

No, michelle, many, many times you end up with a statement that says ends up with the conclusion that God has shown you personally this information and that we are ignoring it. This past April and May is when I began calling you on it by accusing you of circular logic.

I haven't said, nor do I believe God only shows me this. He has shown all of us this. Some choose to believe it, others choose to IGNORE IT.

michelle

6. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Sorry, michelle, this is a straw man. (Yes another demonstration of your poor thinking). I do not believe God has allowed alterations of His Words of truth. (Please show me where I have ever written such a thing). I believe God has preserved His Word/s in/by the KJV and other MV's , like the NASB. Since I have never said that God has changed His words, and since this is not what I believe, it is not up to me to prove the position. I will not support the position you say I believe. Why? Because that is not what I believe or what any other MV believes. I need not prove your lies, because you have misrepresented what I believe.

I believe God has preserved His Word. You have done a good job of giving the Scriptures from which I derive that statement. Why should I post what you have so adeptly done for me? I guess I just don't have to proficiency at the cut-and-paste function of Microsoft systems that you do.

What you have NOT done is provide the Scriptures that say the KJV is that Word to the exclusion of all other translations. To believe that is to believe a lie. KJVOnlyists of classes 4 and 5 believe a false doctrine that they can not support from Scripture. It is THEY who have the unScriptural position.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Is Homosexuality condemned in the bible? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, homosexual behavior is condemned in Scripture, along with a manifest list of other sins.

How is that even relevant to the issue of Bible versions? There are a great many pro-gay theologians that actually DO use the KJV.

Perhaps you should quit using the "guilt by association" and "cause and effect" fallacies of debate/logic/argumentation and stick the issue at hand. Rather than throwing out red herrings, James, show us the Scripture that says "The KJV is God's Word for the English speaking world to the exclusion of all other translations."
    </font>[/QUOTE]How do you know that the prohibitions against homosexuality were not added to the bible?

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Websters Encylopedic unabridged Dictionary of the English Language:

4. a group or sect bound together by devotion to or veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. a religion that is considered or held to be false or unorthodox and unscientific.

I believe that the definition above answers the basic premise.

As to no SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT, Yes, there is none for a single translation in the English Language without room for others.

NOW, MICHELLE, DON'T SAY I AM MISREADING YOU. WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HERE?

Then you clip and paste, clip and paste. I have no disagreements with the scripture, I do have a disagreement with YOUR interpretation of it.

Who are you referring to with this scripture, Michelle?

I am really getting sick of the personal attacks. I can say that your belief is wrong, then you compare us with an evil-doer in the scriptures. WHERE NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT A BIBLE THAT CONTAINED THE APOCRYPHA!

I rest my case.

9. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Red Herring, James. I am well versed in the development of the canon, et.al. I will not be baited.

The issue here is the KJV Only movement. Stick to the issue and show us the the Scripture/s that support/s KJVOnlyism.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

</font>[/QUOTE]How do you know that the prohibitions against homosexuality were not added to the bible?
    </font>[/QUOTE]By studying the manuscripts. These manuscripts were never in question. No doctrinal manuscripts ever have been. Where doctrine might be considered the Bible is clear in other places.

This is a completely ridiculous comparison and the lack of scholarship or study is evident.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

OK, suppose it is a red herring for now. Now what happens when the vatican trashcan (trashcan... I think that word sounds like another word...) spits out an older manuscript that does not contain these prohibitions, what will you do then?

12. michelle

michelle New Member

Talk about the opinions of men...What about Ruckman and his lackeys here? Ruckman claims advanced (eg. Gnostic) revelation! Where's your righteous indignation there? Again, nowhere to be found...

First of all, I do not know Ruckman, nor have I read anything by him, except for what you all have provided on these threads. Secondly, it might do you well to understand the difference between the words "advanced" verses "new" revelation. Let me ask you this, do you see that the apostles were given advanced revelation when Jesus was here on earth in the flesh? If so, why? And how is this different to what Ruckman claims? Will there be advanced revelation when believers see/witness Prophecy being fulfilled? Or will it be new revelation when believers see/witness Prophecy fullfilled?

advanced: 1. in front of 2. old 3. ahead or higher in progress, price, etc.

new: 1 appearing, thought of, developed, made, etc. for the first time 2. different from the /one/ in the past /a new hairdo/ 3. strange; unfamiliar 4. a recently grown; fresh b.)harvested early /new potatoes/ 5. unused 6. modern; recent 7. more; additional 8. starting as a repitition of a cycle, series, etc. /the new moon/ 9. having just reached a position, rank, etc. /a new arrival/

I really don't know what Ruckman has said concering this, but I do know there is a difference in what you think Ruckman is saying verses what he in reality is saying based upon the definitions of "advanced" vs. "new" revelation. You are (and many others also) attributing the definition of "new" to his belief and what he has said, rather than definition of advanced, and seem to be confusing the two different meanings.

michelle

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Interestingly the Latin Vulgate was what was used by the KJV committee of translators to settle arguments between transcript fragments.

14. michelle

michelle New Member

Phillip,

You said this:

Michelle, I would NEVER limit GOD's ability to do anything. I am limiting man's ability because God inspired the original writers. MAN translated the languages.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....and you also said this:

Some of your post is just not worthy of answering, but I will remind you, as I have done many, many, many times in the past that it is impossible (I.M.P.O.S.S.I.B.L.E) to translate ANY language to another language and maintain Word for Word.

Now honestly tell me you are NOT limiting God with your belief and above statement? Let me again remind you:

Luke 18

25. For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    26. And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
    27. And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

michelle

15. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

The presentations about Ruckman have not been "as presented" with spin, Michelle. The most recent threads about Ruckman have consisted primarily of direct quotes from Ruckman, not taken out of context at that.

Where was your righteous indignation there?

I'm not going to let this go, either: Your buddy, Askjo, in fact, just this past week made the sweeping declaration that the NASB is not the Word of God. Where was your righteous indignation there? NOWHERE, that's where.

I submit you are too busy defending KJVOnlyism to take a stand against your buddies here. That speaks for itself.

Michelle, is the NASB the Word of God? Yes or No.

You say we're the ones that believe the word of God has been changed...yet you defend the use of different English words for the same Greek word in the KJV (witness...record) on the premise that the English definitions have different meanings, insinuating the KJV translators were more correct than the writers themselves. :eek:

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Interesting, she doesn't know who Ruckman is, knows nothing about him, but knows that we do not understand what he really says. . . If her statement could be made into one word it would be an oxymoron. :D

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Four pages, and I'm still waiting for scriptural support for KJVOism.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

STRAW-MAN--again, it doesn't matter what you twist my words to say it is irrelevant. Man translated the KJV, it was not inspired. If it was, the apocrypha would have been left out from day 1.
    :rolleyes:

19. michelle

michelle New Member

Have you thought that since there is no scripture condoning KJVOnlyism, then it stands to reason there is going to be no scripture to provide, therefore it is non-scriptural (which means, Michelle, that it ain't in the Bible.)

The reason you cannot see the truth in this issue, is because you look at the scriptures with a label/name, and not the scriptures within. You unfortunately are NEVER going to find a man made label, that has been attached to the scriptures, in the words of the Lord. You are setting up a stumblingblock for yourself, to keep you from the learning and understanding the TRUTH in this issue.

michelle

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Where have you been, John. You haven't read all of those clip-and-paste scriptures that indicate that we don't know what we are talking about? :confused: