1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Baptist church a restoration movement church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tc80, Nov 28, 2005.

1. tc80

tc80 New Member

I have been looking into the restoration movement a bit lately in preparation for a class I am going to take, and I was just wondering if the Baptist church is a restoration movement church?

They seem to share alot of the same beliefs, but the Baptist church is a denomination and I think restoration movement churches are against denominations. Though I can't really find the differences between them.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It can be. It need not be as a requisite. That's for each autonomous congregation to decide.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC, the restoration movement, as I suppose you are using the term, is a movement descending from the ministerial labors of Alexander Campbell, Barton Stone, Walter Scott and others. Baptist churches predate the restoration movement, which started roughly about the beginning of the 19th century. Alexander Campbell was raised a Presbyterian, later was baptized by immersion in 1812 by a Baptist preacher, and for a time was connected with a Baptist church. His separation from Baptists occurred (or was pretty much complete) around 1830.

Here a couple of links that provide historical information on the restoration movement:

Restoration Movement Pages

Restoration History

4. tc80

tc80 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I really wasnt sure about this.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The restoration movement had many influences on Baptists, including the introductino or solidification of Baptist Successionist theology or Landmarkism. Additionally, many restorationists were from more traditional denominations in existence in the 1800s including presbyterians, methodists and baptists.

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gold Dragon's post reminded me of the article in the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. Looks like it is probably a fairly accurate article.

Restoration Movement

7. tc80

tc80 New Member

Yeah, but as I read it I feel the line between the beliefs of a restoration movement church and a baptist church become a little blurred.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really think that very few of us Baptists would consider ourselves to be in a denomination. A denomination has a headquarters which controls the churches, usually even appointing pastors. One of the Baptist distinctives is that each church is autonomous. Even in the SBC, which many IFBs consider to be at least denominational (any SBCs want to comment?), each church can pull out of the convention at any time--if the pastor doesn't mind losing his retirement. ;)

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Reading on the RESTORATION PAGE in thier lessons they claim baptism is essential to salvation.That does'nt sound very baptist to me.