1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the CBF poised for a shift on homosexuality?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mandym, Mar 20, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

(If one were to go to www.archive.org he could do a search for books and pamphlets for Mormonism, the Islam of America. Seems that did little good considering what is happening today.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which statement is more true:

1. Evangelical churches spend too much time bashing homosexuality at the expense of evangelism and witnessing

2. Those who are pro-homosexual think and / or believe that Evangelical churches spend too much time bashing homosexuality

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Any church that starts to dialog on homosexual practice and considers voting on it has already abandoned the faith.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am glad to see a post we agree on. The SBC is just a man made organization, and not very effective or powerful at that. Really, it would cease to exist if enough local churches voted to quit the organization. Really, all we need is the Gospel. As was said, Paul did not order the latest, handy, dandy Sunday School material for the quarter. Some of the comments and choice of focal passages are really off the wall, but that is another subject. There is nothing wrong with man made programs to spread the Gospel, but they are not sacred.

I see the subject of this op as a sign of the general deterioration of our society, and it is affecting the church. To even consider such, as one poster said, says the battle has already been lost.

I have had to remove myself from threads involving Mitt Romney in the political section, as it makes my blood boil for a Christian to support a pro gay rights, pro abortionist, cult member for President.

I am not an expert on the connection of any of these events, but it seems to me, when any Christian organization, whether a local church, or a group of New Testement churches consider such questions, and at the same time we are being forced to vote between two people for President has a pro gay rights, pro abortion agenda for President of this nation that God has so richly blessed, that we are on a downward death spiral at warp speed. I see all these events as very connected.

#24 saturneptune, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well put....

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Also worth noting than the passage in Romans 1 dealing with the gay issue sees such perversion as a symptom, not the cause, of a sick society.

Michael--I'm curious about one thing. How do you figure preventing this particular sin from happening would get anyone into heaven? How is it different, than say, lying?

I wish nobody did either sin, but we cannot work our way into heaven!

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the CBF changes its position to allow practicing homosexuals to be employed by the Fellowship, that will be the end of the Fellowship as we know it. All the conservative churches will withdraw support and it will die or merge with the Alliance of Baptists.

What is interesting here is that the Southern Baptist leads hip is suddenly acknowledging that the CBF has long held a biblical position on homosexuality and is only now in danger of losing it. I don't know how many times over the years, and often in this forum, we have been told that the CBF endorses homosexuality.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'm confused as to why those in the CBF don't just go and join the Alliance of Baptists instead of trying to challenge and change a long held conviction of the CBF.

At least one thing I've learned in dealing with the SBC leadership is history means nothing, especially if the history contradicts what I'm saying or trying to do today. It's a good point that you make about SBC leadership "letting slip" that the CBF has had a Biblical position all along.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Stefan said...

Or we could tone down the rhetoric and say the same thing.

There isn't anything wrong with saying something like:

Which is basically what I said. It is a hideous perversion

I agree.....

#29 Alive in Christ, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey! What happened to..., "Warning: No Threads Regarding Human Sexuality Are Allowed in This Open Public Forum"

Does being homosexual involve human sexuality?

...just asking. :smilewinkgrin:

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that "hideous perversion" is far more inflammatory. IMO, we already have enough fuel on the fire as-is.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Focus on Jesus, interpret the Bible with humility, speakers tell sexuality conference

An update on the meeting in the op:

http://www.baptiststandard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13717&Itemid=53

13. mandym

mandym New Member

It now seems that BP was not so far off.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

This is just a bunch of mealy-mouthed gobbledy-gook. These people seem to be heading down the same path that some United Methodists, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians have headed down, talking about discernment and listening for God's voice about this matter. Well, God has already spoken on the matter -- in creation and scripture; He didn't create Adam and Steve.

When any church or group of churches starts debating and trying to "discern" morality, it's the beginning of the end.

If the CBF does change its position, I'll never give them another cent, just as I won't give the SBC a cent of my money now. I care not for any brand of fundamentalism -- not of the right nor the left. Seems like the middle is becoming extinct.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF we keep this to the "mind of Christ"...

He would say thatHe died for their sins, that he loves them, but that he wants to change them so that they will be able to say in this area "sin no more"...

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Ah, but you see, that's the rub. These people are working their way to saying that homosexual practice is not a sin because God created them that way. But no homosexual gene has ever been discovered -- and the practicing homosexual "Gene" ordained bishop by the Episcopal Church doesn't count.

18. mandym

mandym New Member

Well said, something we agree on. Let's not share that.

#38 mandym, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mohler Predicts Division in CBF ""It’s going to be very interesting to see how this issue unfolds in the CBF," Mohler said. He predicted that an upcoming [Baptist] Conference on Sexuality and Covenant co-sponsored by CBF and Mercer University "is likely just to be a start, the public start, of a very divisive conversation.""

On a related note, Mohler interviewed President Jimmy Carter several weeks ago on his podcast. Carter teaches Sunday School at a Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Georgia church. Baptist Press: Jimmy Carter Discusses Views on Biblical Inspiration, Gospel Exclusivity, Homosexuality

Last year he told Georgia journalist Jonathan Merritt (son of SBC President James Merritt) that the churches should face the facts that "we've lied about the nature of homosexuality and have practiced what can only be described as a form of homophobia" and "is clear that sexual orientation is a deep inner struggle and not merely a matter of choice".

20. Squidward

Squidward Member

Serious evangelism question when speaking with a homosexual. Do you try to win them stating that homosexual acts are a sin or do you win them to Christ first and then counsel them that they have to turn from the sin?