1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is The Christian under still the OT sabbath day?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is taken by Peter and the first part of verse 22 is directly applied to those who killed Christ by crucifixion (Acts 4:10) and verses 22b-24 is directly applied to God's response to their act by later resurrecting Christ from the grave (Acts 4:10-11).

Note the parallel repetition:

1. "This is the Lord's doing...."
    2. "This is the day which the Lord hath made"

The Hebrew term "made" is the very same Hebrew term used to describe the observance of the fourth commandment as a day "made" by the Lord to be observed. However, the day in question in Acts 4:11 is the resurrection day or "the first day of the week" (Mk. 16:2,9; Lk. 24:1,7,13,21).

2. zara

zara New Member

The fourth Commandment stipulates:

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

It is to be a day set apart to reflect on God, His works and establish what you have done and what you are about to do to please God and offer Him a "Better Day".

The day of the week or even of the year isn't important, can even vary and all can select a different day known meaningful to only God and you. ............ To me, everyday is the Sabbath.

zara

#62 zara, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
  3. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Psalm 118:20-24 (KJV)
    20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.
    21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my SALVATION.
    22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
    23 This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
    24 THIS IS THE DAY which the LORD hath made; we will REJOICE AND BE GLAD in it.

Psalm 118 does not say anything about a new covenant day of rest. Not even close

REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may ENTER IN THROUGH THE GATES INTO THE CITY.

Theres the gate that the righteous will enter [Psalm 118 {20}]. You would like it to say do all my commandments except the 4th. But it doesnt

Isaiah 25:7-12 (KJV)
    8 HE WILL SWALLOW UP DEATH IN VICTORY; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.
    9 And it shall be said IN THAT DAY, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be GLAD AND REJOICE in his SALVATION.

Psalm 118 {salvation – the day – glad – rejoice}
    Isaiah 25 {salvation - that day – glad – rejoice}

But its not speaking of a sunday as you claim. Its speaking of a day that will happen as “death is swallowed up in victory”

1COR.15[50] Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.[51] Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,[52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and WE SHALL BE CHANGED.[53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.[54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP IN VICTORY.

Just to be clear....this is not about a rapture to heaven. Its the beginning of the Day of the Lord.

Ezekiel 39:8 (KJV)
    8 Behold, it is come, and it is done, saith the Lord GOD; THIS IS THE DAY whereof I have spoken.

Jeremiah 46:10 (KJV)
    10 For THIS IS THE DAY of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates.

Psalm 118
    24 THIS IS THE DAY which the LORD hath made; we will REJOICE AND BE GLAD in it.

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

You dont do any work on everyday of the week?

5. zara

zara New Member

chow:

God blesses and helps me in my work as a retired aerospace/civil/military engineer. My work is to utilize and understand His & Christ's: Cosmos, rules, mass, and energies .......... and apply them to the needs of Americans. Who could possibly be a better counselor in my/our work?? .....and they enjoy watching my struggles.

....With God's and Jesus/Christ's contributions in my life and work on these Sabbath days, there is no equivalent competition and I am assured to be supporting my family.

zara
    .....:thumbsup:

#65 zara, Oct 27, 2012
  6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Biblicist, You make the claim that Psalm 118 is speaking of a new day of rest? Couldnt be further from the truth. Its all about the gate

MATTHEW 7 [12] Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. [13] Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT.

Theres plenty of gentile believers who do not keep Gods sabbath. Why do but a few enter the gate

JER.17 [21] Thus saith the LORD; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem;[22] Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but HALLOW YE THE SABBATH DAY, as I commanded your fathers.[23] BUT THEY OBEYED NOT, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.[24] And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but HALLOW THE SABBATH DAY, to do no work therein;[25] Then shall there ENTER INTO THE GATES of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: and THIS CITY SHALL REMAIN FOR EVER.

Wanna be amoung them that “enter into the gates” {verse 25}? Theres only one city that will remain forever. Just follow the directions

REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may ENTER IN THROUGH THE GATES INTO THE CITY.

Ofcourse not only the 4th. We must "observe" to keep them all

7. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Can you explain why we have daylight savings time. I heard it was to conseve energy. Hows that? Ill bet half of america does not wake up before 7 in the morning. But everyones awake between 5 and 6 at night. Thus at that time more energy is being used. Was this a trick by the oil companys so they could make more money?

8. zara

zara New Member

You can blame Uncle Ben Franklin for DST. He felt that setting the clock foreword in Spring he and others could save a few candles in the 1770s.

Now, who knows since we work around the clock and around the world with our computers and time zones don't matter.

I personally like DST because it gives me long evenings. .........It is good that you are critical of the Oil Corps and Banks. ...so keep up the good work!

zara

#68 zara, Oct 27, 2012
  9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist
    A. Fact #1 - The fourth commandment IS the sabbath law. There are no other commandments in scripture to draw the Sabbath law from.

B. Fact #2 - God applies the Sabbath law to other periods of time other than the seventh day in the month but to the first day, tenth day, 50th day as well as other periods of time such as a seventh "month" and seventh "year" and 50th "year."

C. Conclusion: The interpretation of the fourth commandment cannot be restricted to the seventh day "of the week" as God's own application of the Sabbath law EXCEEDS that restrictive interpretation. To demand that restrictive of interpretation is to condemn God's own application of the same law that EXCEEDS any specific day "of the week."

The Truth is that the Sabbath law can be inclusive of the seventh day of the week but not restricted to the seventh day of the week without doing violence to the Biblical application of that law to other time periods.

I recognise - I smell - a rat, a 'biblicist' called on this forum, one Dr Walter in fact.

O yes! Only one person who can so repeatedly 'make application' of the same by now stereo-typed quasi 'arguments'.

Quack-arguments ...

Self fabricated self-fooling. Every one of them ...

#69 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist

A. Fact #1 - The fourth commandment IS the sabbath law. There are no other commandments in scripture to draw the Sabbath law from.

GE:

Beautiful! Exactly!

Don't you ever backtrack on this your own arrogation!

Because in just your next quack-argument, you do!

#70 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 6, 2012
  11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist

GE:

Exactly! Yes!

Even though the Sabbath as such can - and MUST - be 'drawn from' other MOMENTOUS SALVATION EVENTS in Scripture.

Like the creation story and the LORD calling after Adam and Eve mercifully and savingly on the Seventh Day;

And the passover redemption on the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD;

and the cleansing of the most holy on the Sabbath;

and the enthronement of the Son of the King and killing of the evil Athalia on the Sabbath;

And the Son of Man who lays hold on the Sabbath;

And the Holy of the LORD the Son in resurrection from the dead riding on the heights of the earth because He regarded the Sabbath HONOURABLE thereunto;

"And God in these last days ...unto us ... by the SON ... THUS CONCERNING THE SEVENTH DAY ... spake: And God the Seventh Day from ALL, his works, RESTED" ... in Christ ... in Resurrection from the dead ...;

"And SABBATH'S-TIME, in the fullness of the Sabbath Day, Sabbath's mid-afternoon, Sabbath's in the very being daylight beginning inclining towards the First Day of the week ... there was a great earthquake ..." when Christ ROSE from the dead;

And Jesus who prophesied of Himself and his resurrection from the dead by figure of the ox or the donkey rescued from the dead and grave's pit and given the Water of Life to drink "on the Sabbath Day";

And Jesus who "UNTO THIS DAY WORKED; AND MY FATHER" for the restoration of body and soul, as well as eternal life through resurrection from the dead "on the Sabbath Day";

As Paul encouraged and comforted and assured the Body of Christ's own "with regard to eating and drinking of Christ The Substance and ... Nourishment being ministered ... OF SABBATHS' FEAST of the Body of Christ's Own";

And as Paul on the Sabbath Seventh Day of the week preached the Resurrection "by the Power of his - Jesus' - resurrection, "but about logistics" afterwards announced, "Let every person privately at home calculate as he prospered and save up so there won't be any haphazard collection when I come to fetch your charity to Jerusalem."

And as "every Sabbath Day everywhere" the Scriptures were read, so the apostles' admonishment against pagan relics "in the churches".

ETCETERA AD INFINITUM while "The Law stays for the TRANSGRESSORS" a prospect of no mercy.

#71 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 6, 2012
  12. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just as true is that nowhere does the Sabbath law restrict the Sabbath observance to any specified day "of the week." That is assumed by seventh day "of the week" advocates but never stated by scripture even once.

Indeed, God never makes that restriction simply becusae God's purpose of the Sabbath law exceeds any such restriction and therefore could not be restricted to any day "of the week."

The truth is that the Sabbath law is INCLUSIVE of such a day "of the week' but never RESTRICTD to such, as such a restriction would make God Himself a violater of such a restriction (Lev. 23-25).

#72 The Biblicist, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  13. billwald

billwald New Member

The Sabbath Law is the ONLY one of the 10 commandments which is not re-confirmed in the NT.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only a man ignorant of his ignorance utters such ignorance.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dr Walter diagnosed with symptoms of the syndrome Dyslexia of retracted insight caused by constricted restrictionist de-Biblicism.

#75 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I came across one better on Dr Walter the Biblicist's 'unrestricted' idea, "set-of-days", for the 'week'.
    Yea man, which will make Dr Walter the Biblicist GREEN with jealousy!

How's this one for you,

"periodicity of seven" ... what a 'beauty'!

#76 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 10, 2012
  17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The 'no-law-for Christians-to-keep-the-Sabbath' REFUSAL TO BELIEVE IN CHRIST, is exactly the same as the Jews' REFUSAL TO BELIEVE IN CHRIST when He answered them,
    "If they hear not Moses and the Prophets ['Prophets' with a capital letter because the Prophets are the Scriptures.], neither will they be convinced though One [Jesus Christ] rose from the dead."

EVEN IN FACT "rose Christ from the dead ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES", "... ON THE SABBATH", the Sabbath "... the day The Seventh Day God THUS CONCERNING SPAKE ... in times past through the Prophets ... and in these last days BY THE SON"!

... NO, EVEN ROSE CHRIST FROM THE DEAD they will NOT believe!

For what therefore would anyone WASTE his breath AGAIN like so many times before to try convince the UNWILLING-TO-BELIEVE?

Persuade yourself with whatever you like and try tell yourself "THERE IS NO LAW" while He is ALIVE AND JUDGE ON HIS THRONE!

#77 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 10, 2012
  18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The whole of Christianity is a conglomerate of pretentious, IMPERIOUS opportunist UNBELIEVERS!

... and SUNDAY-WORSHIP is its OPEN sign of allegiance and POWER over all, God, included.

… statement first made in my life, today, 10 November 2012.

#78 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 10, 2012
  19. billwald

billwald New Member

>>The Sabbath Law is the ONLY one of the 10 commandments which is not re-confirmed in the NT.

>Only a man ignorant of his ignorance utters such ignorance.

Which NT passage defines sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday as the only appropriate day for Christian worship????????????????

20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Not so billwald. Unless ofcourse you believe in billion to one coincidences.

EZEK.20 [12] MOREOVER ALSO I gave them MY SABBATHS, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them

ACTS 2 [26] Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; MOREOVER ALSO MY FLESH SHALL REST in hope:

My flesh shall rest {just as the 4th commandment commands}.

You will find the words "moreover also" only in these 2 scriptures. You will find those words nowhere else in the Ole King James. Aint the Word of God great billwald!