1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Church of Christ a cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist6589, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe spiritual gifts exist today. So no, no contradiction at all (for me).

I know the argument that sign gifts have ceased (that their function as a "sign" is no longer relevant). I am not sure what passages you believe indicate that spiritual gifts are not given, but you are right that that idea is contradicted by Paul (particularly when he lists love not only as a spiritual gift but as one that is eternal). Why do you believe that spiritual gifts do not exist today and what passages do you offer in support (which ones do you believe are contradicted by the existence of spiritual gifts today)?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eph 4 says spiritual gifts continue until the 2nd coming.

11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

A point still future for Paul in the writing of Eph 4.

14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree that this passage certainly does indicate that spiritual gifts will be given for the equipping of the saints. Scripture speaks of some gifts as signs to the unbeliever, but this passage also seems to indicate that some gifts are given for the purpose of equipping the saints for the work of service and that this will continue until "we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ".

I realize that this does not mean that men are given today as apostles or prophets, or that sign gifts exist (that would be reading much into the text), but I do think that God giving people as [what is needed] for the equipping of the saints implies (which is also reading into the text) that God has gifted these people with the necessary spiritual gifts needed to accomplish the task.