1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the ESV already receiving an update?!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ScottF, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottF

ScottF New Member

I was reading a "rumor" on Amazon.com under a book review of one of the English Standard Version bibles that the ESV translation is already being given an updating. The rumor stated that the translators are currently working on it and that it is to remain "hush-hush" for the time being.

I know the ESV is extremely popular right now, but, personally, I think the ESV does indeed have some problems. However, if these problems were eliminated, the ESV would indeed be the perfect translation that everybody has been hoping for.

Here's what I mean:

The ESV uses archaic constructions to produce a text that sounds more literal than it really is. For example, Hosea 9:1 in the English Standard Version reads, “Rejoice not, O Israel” where the equally conservative Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) reads, “Israel, do not rejoice.” Both translations are equally literal. But the ESV suffers from archaic sentence structures. Perhaps I should say, “Write not archaic language, O translators!”

So the ESV translation only makes it halfway into modern English. Genesis 12:1 reads, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house,” which seems more literal that the same passage in the New International Version, which says, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household”; however in this case, the NIV is actually more literal, because no one seems to have “kindred” these days, and in modern usage, “leaving your father’s house” implies that you are living in your father’s spare bedroom or basement, which is not what the ancient text means.

Most Bible translations cannot resist finding their viewpoints on contemporary social issues in the ancient text. The ESV is not an exception.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I haven't heard anything about a revision. I like the ESV including the archaic phrasing.

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Yes, there is going to be a 2007 revision. It will not be a major revision, so don't expect too many changes. You can also email them to get a list of all changes, which i think is an excellent thing to do with revisions.

Here's an email i received from Good News Publishers/Crossway Books & Bibles...

And here is an earlier email that i received from them regarding the revision in general...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.