1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the "foresight of faith" view to only viable "Arminian" explanation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ye also, as living stones, are built up a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:5

And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready at the quarry; and there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building. 1 Ki 6:7

.....heheh, praise the Lord!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, corporate.
    Did you ever notice that the verses you reference are always directed to believers within that corporate group. When God spoke to Israel he spoke to them corporately, but individually they had to enter by faith.
    We are a chosen nation, but individually each one of us must strive to be conformed to the image of Christ, just as we must strive not to be conformed to this world.

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (1 Peter 2:9)
    --The subject (YE) is plural. Peter addresses a corporate body. We all as one holy nation are a peculiar people that God has called out to show forth his praises. The entrance into the body is always "by faith."

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would tend to think so, but I'm not sure that is the Arminian view. I don't think they consider God predestining people to believe, but simply God predestining to provide salvation to those in whom he forsees faith?

--> Regarding corporate election, the point I am making is that even though God included numerous people from other nations in the special relationship he had with Israel, the vast majority of people alive during OT times did not have access to God's law or blessings. It sounds as though even if God did not irresistibly call every Israelite to salvation, he at the very least decided he was going to deny the citizins of other nations basic knowledge of who God was and how to relate to him...sounds like God did not give everyone the same opportunity to believe.

So is your view that God has in a sense "hardened" all men in their sin, but that he has then shown mercy to all, giving all the same opportunity to come out of their hardening?

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe not his law, but according to Paul they had all they needed to acknowledge him as God through general revelation and conscience. Not having the law was not an excuse for their unbelief, in other words.

God shows mercy to all men (Romans 11:32) He does this by inviting them all to a covenant relationship with him through faith, which they are all capable of from birth. It's only when they continually refuse to acknowledge His clearly seen and understood revelation that they will grow hardened. They are NOT born, "given over" or "hardened" they BECOME that way after time. God then may seal them in that hardened condition to accomplish a purpose through them (as he did with Israel in accomplishing the crucifixion)... more later....

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't see that God was holding information back from other nations.

Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

There were Jews in every nation, so the word of God was known.

And as you read of Paul's travels, he always found and entered a synagogue there, as his manner was. (Acts 17:2)

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Skandelon, I hope what i'm asking is not what you were planning on expounding on "later." But...

Are you saying that god sealed Israel in that hardened condition for only the short time durring the one generation that crucified Christ? ...Or that the whole nation was sealed in hardness for many generations leading up to Christ, which sealing was then lifted after the gentiles started coming to Christ, so as to make Israel jealous to repentance?

If the first, I'm wondering where in scripture you see that specifically.

If the second, it sounds like God at least reprobated those certain Israelites in their hardness of heart for some greater purpose.

If neither, please explain.

7. Skandelon

Well, to answer that you need to understand there are two types of hardening.

"Self hardening," where one rebells freely and simply becomes calloused to the things of God. And second, "judicial hardening," by which God seals someone in their already hardened condition by temporarily blinding them from the truth so as to accomplish a redemptive purpose through them. (i.e. Pharaoh; and Israel)

I do believe that once the redemptive purpose was fulfilled the "judicial" aspect may have been removed, but there is not a lot of detail on this in scripture. In Romans 11 it does seem to indicate that Paul anticipated that his own ministry might provoke some of the hardened Jews to envy and lead them to salvation, so at least we know what Paul thought about it. But even if someone is not being blinded from the truth, they may remain in rebellion by choice (self hardening), but Paul's hope is that their will might be provoked and cause them to change their minds.

I don't see any reason God would have needed to seal an already rebellious people into the hardened condition prior to Christ's coming. It seems to me this is unique to while Christ was on earth. Just as when Moses (foreshadowing Christ) went to Pharaoh, it was necessary for his heart to be hardened so as to make God's power known through all the plagues. Through his being hardened the first passover was brought to pass, and through the Israel's hardening the real Passover was brought to pass.

There was no need to continue hardening Pharaoh after the people were redeemed, so I don't see any reason God would keep Israel hardened once the gentiles were established in the church.

As explained, in Romans 11.

I don't deny that, but keep in mind judicial hardening is a result of self hardening so those hardened have already been fitted for destruction. They deserve condemnation. The key is that they weren't born hardened, as the doctrine of Total Inability virtually teaches.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::applause:

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Right on target....no need to rush past this....it should be focused on.
    God's work,God's way is always first:thumbsup:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    skan;
    sure it does

Where do you guys make all this up? First he describes the time of the individual election....then teaches that as part of it we are adopted as sons.
    You and winman go out of your way to pervert the texts..to mean odd and strange ideas that no one else holds to...it is like you are obsessed with being contrarians
    14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

More error in your theology here coming to the forefront. You, having allegedly been a Calvinist in your past, and on the right theological path then, know this which you are teaching is error. Scriptures clearly teach the opposite of what you are teaching here. It's not only taught in Ephesians 1, it's a dogma throughout God's Word.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord mercies some and He hardens the rest. All people do not receive mercy. Some receive His justice.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so God elects people based on a quality and not according to His will. You can only "reconcile" predestination with noncalvinism by making God small, by suggesting that there are things outside His control. So your analogies make God a recruiter or a football coach, never a creator. God's success is completely dependent upon something that the recruit must do, and upon a quality which he possesses.

Paul's analogy nails it. God is a potter. From the same lump of clay He makes vessels fit for destruction, and those into whom He sheds His grace. No difference in the clay, simply in the will of the Potter.

14. Skandelon

I have an honest question for you Aaron. Will you ever get tired of typing blatant misrepresentations of what we believe?

That is not even close to what I've just described, and I'm pretty sure you know it. I guess I'll just start saying things like "you don't believe in evangelism" and "you believe God hates most of all mankind before he even creates them" and "you believe heaven looks like the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory," I mean if we're going to make up stuff about each other we might as well make it interesting.

Actually it's "common use" or "ignoble purposes" not "destruction" as you misquoted. But I guess if you can change what I say you feel its ok the change what Paul says too, right?

Enjoy the debate with the figment of your imagination. :)

15. Skandelon

You are confusing two issues. The verse I referred to says that God bound all men over to disobedience so as to show mercy to them all. Hardening Israel was actually an act of mercy, according to Paul in Romans 11. Read the whole chapter again and he explains that by hardening Israel in their unbelief he allowed room for the Gentiles to come into the church...this is an example of hardening Israel for the sake of the Gentiles. But in doing so it will provoke Israel to envy thus possibly bringing some to salvation, which is an example of God using the hardening to show them mercy.

It is like when the scripture speaks of casting out the unrepentant brethren so as to save his soul. How is casting someone out going to possibly save their soul? The same why hardening them (or cutting them from the tree) does. It allows them to come to the end of their sin (their pig sty) so they may come to their senses "humble themselves" and turn.

Our God is so merciful that he is showing mercy even in his hardening.

16. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Hmmm... Those verses do not seem to be a good example for the idea that God predestines certain people to be saved and I don't think you'll get disagreement from Arms that we are adopted as sons.

For such a strong accusation against Skan and Winman I would think you'd provide some red meet.

17. Skandelon

True, especially when one considers all the verses which clearly teach that the Spirit comes through faith, not the other way around.

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Originally Posted by Skandelon:
    Rippon's reply:
    Rippon, the Verse actually says God shows mercy to all men. You can debate how that mercy is expressed, and if it is necessarily saving, but to say God shows no mercy to all men is clearly unbiblical. God give rain and sun to the just and the unjust alike.

If you are going to say that you believe the exact opposite of what a Bible verse says, at least try to qualify it a bit.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The above verses are written to those individuals who have already, by faith, become part of the bride of Christ. Paul is listing some of the privileges that each believer, each one who is in Christ, already has. Such information is never addressed to the unsaved. It is only given to the saved. We are chosen to serve him (John 15:16).

The verse that you highlighted is written to a plural number of people. "YE" have received the spirit of adoption." That is, all who are in the nation that God is calling out for himself, have received this Spirit of adoption. The subject is plural, not singular.

We are a royal priesthood, a peculiar people, a holy nation.
    He has called (elected) us out to show forth his praises--to call people out of darkness into his marvelous light. Election is directed to this wonderful corporate body--a holy nation called out by God.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Election is individual......forming us into a corporate body is the Spirits work in sanctification

The plural only indicates that it is true for each individual...who are placed by God in a local body...you have the same YE in 1cor3.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.