1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the government keeping citizens down?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Fishnbread, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

The American government has placed bans on weapons, vehicles, pets, suppelments and numerous other items, to many to speak about. So I ask one question is the American government purposely holding it's citizens down?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No. We probably live in the freest country in the world. There are always restrictions and usually they are for safety.

Instead of putting energy into finding something to complain about, think about the nations where people can't worship freely or don't have free elections. We have it too good, I think sometimes.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amen Marcia. I would say; to they who find so much to complain about;
    Go get your Visa, and move somewhere that you think might be better. And good luck!
    In His service;
    Jim

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't it amazing how people from other countries can come here not knowing the language, go into business, and do well. While the Americans here complain about how there is nothing they can do.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!

In His service;
    Jim

6. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

I don't mean to complain I love this country and feel very blessed to live here, as a matter of fact I personaly dislike haters of America. but don't you guys think that it is mighty suspicous that the FDA can place a ban on steroids, and other performance and strength enhancers using the excuse that it is bad for health. Yet things such as cigaretts can be bought and sold freely without so much as a sniff in there dircetion by the FDA.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

One hand washes the other. It's all about safety...it's for your own good now shut up and take your mercury, er I mean medicine.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a good point concerning the inconsistencies and bureaucracies of our government.

We have the right of free expression. Hopefully when we complain it is not for complaint sake alone but for the common good. That's being a good citizen.

Here is one of mine: My family are amateur mycologists (mushroom gatherers).

Here in beautiful Washington State this year we found Chantrelle, Matsutake, Hedgehog and Porcini mushrooms, all delicious.

But, there is also an abundance of hallucinogenic mushrooms here in WA. There is one in particular that has a deadly lookalike. The Galerina.

The Galerina will kill you quite dead. But it is not illegal to pick and possess, and yes, even eat this deadly poisonous mushroom.

However if you pick, keep and/or eat it's non-deadly hallucinogenic twin (I'm not going to give the name) even one, that is illegal and you can go to jail for quite a while.

BTW, I'm not promoting their use, I obey the law, just pointing out an inconsistency.

HankD

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The reason I complain is because I love this country and can't stand to see it (and us) used by backroom double dealing politcians and "big money monopoly corporations" that use safety as their excuse to rob us for every penny they can get their hands on while feeding us poison for our "own good" at such outrageous prices.

If that bothers some folks then by all means use the patriot act to stop my dissent thats whats it's there for.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cry of the Democratic Party is how the government is keeping you down. Conspiracy. Republican monopoly.

Many Blacks have bought this. No personal responsibility (for job, raising kids, etc) if it's "the government's fault.

My thinking is let's not give the Federales any more power than absolutely needed. Keep government at the local level. THEN we will have no one to blame and complain that we are "being kept down".

11. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

In the United States we find absolutely disgraceful behavior and corruption at all levels of government, but also in the United States we have the freedom to say so as long as we first consult with our attorney to make sure that we are using only politically correct language, have no ties to the middle east, and we have never cheated the IRS :eek: .

[​IMG]

12. Craigbythesea

FOUR REPLIES:

[​IMG]

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I didn't realize how blessed we are in the U.S. until I lived 4 years overseas.

14. baptistk

baptistk New Member

My brother took a mission trip to Bolivia and came back thanking God for America. We sometimes forget how blessed we have it.

15. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

May every one please stay on subject?

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We also have corruption and embezzlement in some of our churches and denominations too. We also have a nation comprised of every person who sins. But we also have great churches and people doing their best trying to live for Christ.

In the church is every sin in the world. Read scripture, it talks about the churches then. Corruption is everywhere because there are sinners.

17. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

2 out of 3 ain't bad... :D

18. Craigbythesea

Did I forget to mention that I am a Federal Prosecutor specializing in IRS cases? Man ... you are now dead meat! [​IMG]

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Craigbythesea

Those who are Christians need to repent. There is no excuse for sinning.

[​IMG]

20. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

uh...well...uh...never mind. [​IMG]