1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is the Holy Spirit Involved in the "Modern Charasmatic' Movemnent at all?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But that was the purpose of the miracles of Jesus--to demonstrate that He was God. The Jews recognized that. Not only in John 10 did they accuse him of deity, but in Mark one, when they said: "Who can forgive sins but God alone." In that case he had healed a paralytic. If you claim to do the miracles or claim that others of this generation can do the miracles that Jesus did, then you are claiming that they are Jesus come to this earth, or that they also are deity.
    Just how many "gods" do you believe in?
    Yes I can. A greater work is not necessarily a miracle. Jesus was on this earth 33 1/2 years, only 3/12 years of which was ministry. From the time that you were saved how many years will you have before you die? I have been saved a long time now. In that time, as a missionary, I have seen hundreds come to the Lord. If I count the number of souls that those ones have led to the Lord then it becomes in the thousands. I have started dozens of churches. Some of the pastors of those churches have started others. This is called spiritual reproduction. It takes time. Bringing a person into the kingdom a God that he might have eternal life and forgiveness of sins is a far greater work than walking on water. This is what Jesus was referring to.
    Jesus had 3 1/2 years. We have had far more time than he had. Therefore we should able to accomplish more in one sense. No one will know until we get to heaven.
    The will of the Father is that you obey Him.
    "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."
    Do you ever pray that prayer? Do you mean it?
    Today God works through "churches," not a metaphysical, nebulous, non-existent so-called universal church. If you are not in a local church you are outside the will of God. What Paul was describing in 1Cor.12 where the gifts are listed was the local church at Corinth. He never said to seek for gifts, but that different members were given different gifts, and that each member should exercise their gift accordingly. They should not be jealous of those who had different gifts. At the end of the chapter he lists the gifts and asks some important rhetorical questions?
    Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all have the gift of healing?
    The obvious answer was no, and neither should the seek for them.
    He then goes on and tells them to desire the greatest gift of all--Love.

He spends seven verses on love, returns to the gifts and then tells them that they will cease in 13:8. When? When the Bible is complete. It was complete at the end of the first century.
    I can see Benny Hinn's heart; why can't you?
    The Bible is my final authority in all things pertaining to faith and doctrine.
    If Benny Hinn denies the essential truths of the Bible then not only is he a fraud he is not saved and that is enough to see.
    Benny Hinn believes that there are nine persons in the trinity. That alone is enough to condemn him. It is unbelief in the triune Godhead. He worships another god--probably from his Hindu background.
    Benny Hinn believes Christ went to hell to make a bargain with the devil when making an atonement for our sins.
    Benny Hinn believes "we are all little gods running around on this earth." (direct quote).
    Is Benny Hinn saved? No.
    He wasn't even saved.
    Not through the gift of healing; but through answer to prayer, and then only according to the will of God.
    The verses you provided were instruction given to the 12, not to you or to any so-called faith healer of today.
    If they were given for today, then why don't you go search for some cobras and other snakes to pick up. While your at it take some of your household cleaners like Draino, and insert that into your regular diet. It is a promise of God that it will not harm you, right?
    Or don't you believe the Word of God? Where is your faith. You have unbelief!! You really don't believe God's Word do you?

Thirdly, I have showed you in this post that they have ceased.
    The question is, will you accept what I have shown you?
    I already know that answer.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I am not a cessationist, but the way the Charismatics believe in and practice the gifts bears no resemblance to NT example.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

That was not the only reason for his miracles! One reason, yes!
    What is the purpose of this question???

The works that Jesus did bear witness of of who he was. The works he did were the miraculous! So you are saying that your works are greater than his?

Back to the same ole tricks! Trying to be demeaning in your responses... What was his will in heaven? Is there sickness in heaven?

He tells us to desire spiritual gifts! 1 Cor. 14:1 We are His church! YEs, we gather locally! But the work that he wills us to do does not have to be inside a building!

Where is the Greek word for the completion of the BIBLE? It is not there! He spends 3 chapters on the gifts, correcting there use...which was not done in love or order.
    i CAN GIVE YOU THE MONTH, DAY, HOUR AND THE PLACE WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT FIRST BAPTIZED BELIEVERS. BUT YOU CAN NOT GIVE ME THE SAME INFORMATION WHEN IT WAS TAKEN AWAY!
    The fact remains that no gift of the Holy Spirit was ever removed from the church by the Holy Spirit, but certain gifts were suppressed through unbelief and removed from operation by the Holy Spirit because the negative and critical words of men grieved the Holy Spirit, and He withdrew His presence.

Think about your theology! We now hold in our hand the Bible with 66 individual books of divine intructions. It reveals 4,000 years of human history, including the rise and fall of empires. It contains the narratives of hundreds of signs, wonders and miracles, including healings. So you are saying that God activated the miracles so men could compile it in one big book and future generations could read stories of how powerful God USED to be..and not believe He can repeat His miracles in our day! Think real hard on this one!

Not to mention that even after the Bible was printed it was not permitted in the hands of the common people for hundreds of years. If your theory is correct, which it is not, then he should have removed them in 1611 or after Bibles were established. You have no written proof of the gifts ceasing. Just because there was a dry spell in church history does not mean that it was God's will! God's will was for the Holy Spirit to finish the work He came to do in the church! THe church is still here..and so is the Holy Spirit..working in, around and through us!

You are getting nowhere pointing out the faults of people and there ministry. I have no idea what he believes or do I follow him. My doctrines are from the Bible! AGAIN, you can not disprove the real by pointing out the false!

IT is by the power of God! THe HOly Spirit is that power! I do not limit the Holy Spirit!

If you understood those scriptures you would not make these comments! I see you still have not searched out the serpents and drinking of deadly things...

NO, I will not accept what is not true! You have not shown me in scriptures where they have ceased, nor can you! You put in your own words to satisfy your own doctrines. The completion of the Bible is not in that scripture anywhere. He did not use the words graphe, rhema or logos in that chapter. THe completion was not the Word of God..written, understood or spoken. It will be when we see Him face to face and know as we are known. We will come behind in no gift, waiting for the coming of our Lord!!

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

But Baptist churches that have come to believe in the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, have embraced the truth in the Bible and let go of their unbelief are walking and witnessing a wonderful presence of God in our services!
    I have never attended a church that most of the people describe as Charismatic. But I have been in services where the Holy Spirit manifest Himself through His people..We have laid hands on the sick, tongues and interpretations, word of knowledge, wisdom etc.

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have never been in such a Baptist church, so I can't comment on that. All I can go by is independent Charismatic churches, and Charismatic televangelists.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul "lost" that Gift, as he suggestion was to Timothy to drink wine for upset stomach...

Hebrews makes it clear that by time of it being written, the Apostolic signs and wonders ahve ceased, as their mission was to confirm the Christ, so ceased when that was done!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the Theology/doctrines though of MOST of the modern Charasmatics...
    hagin/Copemand/Hinn/price etc

ALL teach and epouse heretical teachings and doctrines, so how can it be the Holy spirit involved with they have a different jesus and Gospel?

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give some examples of the the sick-- what they had, how long they had it, did they show any sign of the sickness a moment later, a day later, 3 days later...-- and some examples of "word of knowledge." Just what words?

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

How do you back that up with scriptures?

Paul told Timothy to drink wine and not just water, because Timothy was experiencing frequent stomach illnesses (1 Timothy 5:23). Based on this verse, You are claiming that Paul couldn't heal Timothy, as if Paul was "losing" his ability to heal people. But clearly Paul was writing to Timothy. Paul was nowhere near Timothy and couldn't have laid hands on Timothy even if he wanted to! Timothy didn't have an "illness" (singular), but instead he had several illnesses (plural). Since he had "frequent illnesses" (plural), this shows that in some way his stomach illnesses were healed each time. This verse doesn't support the idea that healing was "dying out" in the first century.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do not follow their doctrines so I do not know what they believe. There are unscriptural things that happen in all churches to some degree. Many pastors have changed their theology over the years...the ones that are willing to open there minds to let the Holy Spirit teach them the truth...and not some man-made traditions.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

One example was a girl in her 20's suffered from migrane headaches for years, taken everything the doctors could offer. Had surgery to correct it etc. Nothing worked! Hands were laid on her and she recovered! She is working and was able to go back to college. Did satan try to steal her healing, yes! Several times! But she is productive now in society where before she was not. Headaches gone! She gives her testimony in several churches around this area.

Knowledge is facts, understanding is the arrangement of the facts, wisdom is the application of those facts.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly does that mean? Did she have any more headaches or not? (while only she would know, and if she is going around boasting about what great faith she has, there is no way for the listener to know).

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

THe only headaches to my knowledge is normal headaches that you and I have. We can take a tylenol and continue on! Her headaches before put her in bed for days!
    I did not say she boasted about her faith! She boasted about how wonderful God was..gave Him all the credit!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please don't claim ignorance.
    Before you associate yourself with any particular movement (like the Charismatic movement), it is your God-given duty and obligation to find out just who you are associating yourself with. What do they believe? What kind of theological company are you keeping?
    Read John MacArthur's "Charismatic Chaos," or at the very least go to his website and read the articles he has written and posted on the Charismatic movement.
    You obviously have a computer and the internet. Use your search engine. Find out what these men believe, where the Charismatic movement is heading, who your company is.

The Bible says:
    How can two walk together unless they be agreed?
    Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees. (i.e. their doctrine).
    Beware of false teachers; wolves in sheep's clothing.
    Come out from among them and be ye separate saith the Lord.

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

I am far from ignorant!
    I do not associate myself with any movement! I believe the Bible!
    Again, I do not follow a movement! I have studied this out for myself! I am a member of a full gospel Baptist church!

Why should I follow and study after other denominations? The Bible is clear enough for me!

I am not among anyone! I fellowship with Baptist believers that have embraced the truth in the Bible about the manifestation of the Holy Spirit. We are not cessationalist!

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The gospel of John is centered around seven miracles. Every miracle is designed to demonstrate that Christ is God. Every single miracle in the gospel of John was just for that purpose.
    If the purpose of miracles was to demonstrate the deity of God, then aren't you and all your co-horts making a claim to deity also?
    Jesus said to his disciples that they would do "greater works." If that extends to us as well, then what are "greater works"? What does that term mean? Does it mean that you will be able to raise the dead (after they have been dead and buried for four days), feed five thousand (20,000 including women and children) with just a few pieces of fish and some bread, walk on water, calm the sea, etc. Have you done those works?
    are you going to? Do you know anyone who is? or even able to perform them? [I walk on water most of the year because our winters are long, and there is plenty of ice all around our house], :)

Obviously the "greater works" are not the miracles of Jesus. I explained what they were in a previous post. A dedicated Christian can accomplish much for the Lord in a long ministry compared to the 3 1/2 years our Lord was here. He had a specific purpose. To declare God to mankind (the incarnation), and to atone for our sins.
    That wasn't your question. Your question was: What is God's will.
    Jesus came to do the will of his Father.
    Then he taught his disciples to pray:
    "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
    His will is done HOW? Immediately, without hesitation, without complaint, with no rebellion, with no quarrel, with complete submissiveness, happily and joyfully, always to the glory of God.
    That is how his will is done in heaven. Is it done the same way on earth.
    "On earth as it is in heaven." Do you really mean it when you pray it?
    No he doesn't.
    Young gives a more literal translation:
    1 Corinthians 14:1 Pursue the love, and seek earnestly the spiritual things, and rather that ye may prophecy,
    The emphasis throughout chapter 14 is on prophecy, similar to our preaching today. It was love that they were to pursue after. And if any other thing, prophecy would be the preferred gift.
    The Greek word
    1 Corinthians 13:10 οταν δε ελθη το τελειον τοτε το εκ μερους καταργηθησεται
    is
    teleion. It means completed. When that which is completed then that which is in part shall be done away. The ending "on" is a neuter ending, and therefore cannot refer to a masculine Christ. It therefore refers to the Word, which was completed at the end of the first century.
    1. The signs were signs for the apostles and therefore lasted no longer than the apostles did--the apostolic age.
    2. Some of the signs were for judgment for the Jews, and when judgment came on the Jews (70 A.D.) they weren't needed either.
    3. Some were signs were revelatory gifts and were needed while revelation was still being written. The last book to be written was Revelation, written by 98 A.D.
    Taking those factors in consideration the gifts were all out of existence by the end of the first century.

This phenomena that you believe in did not come into existence until 1905.
    It is your belief that for at least 1800 years no Christian had the filling, baptism or power of the Holy Spirit; that they were dead spiritually even though many of those centuries contained some of the greatest revivals history has ever seen. True?
    Like I said above--garbage!! You believe 1800 years of brainwashed historical garbage. You need to study church history.
    You think about it:
    There were certain "eras" in which God did miracles (I mean many miracles).
    1. The time of Moses. (all the plagues on the land of Egypt) and more.
    --During this time revelation was given. God gave to Moses the Pentateuch.

2. The time of Elijah and Elisha. There were more miracles between these two prophets then all the other prophets put together. Elijah started a school of the prophets. They are representative of the prophets.
    --Revelation was written during the time of the prophets.

3. Christ. Christ is the source of all revelation, and his miracles demonstrate his deity.

4. The Apostles. The apostles wrote the NT. This was an age of miracles also. Miracles were performed (en masse) during times of revelation.

There has been no revelation for over two thousand years, and no gifts of the Spirit either. They have all ceased. Those who claim them are frauds.
    There was no dry spell. They ceased at the end of the first century.
    In this "dry spell" a cobbler named William Carey dedicated his life to the Lord, and in 1793 went to India. He never spoke in tongues. He denied the gifts of the Spirit. He was a Baptist Calvinist. But he translated the Bible or parts of it into over 40 different languages and won thousands to the Lord. He also started a Bible college.
    Have you ever heard of George Mueller. By faith he started an orphanage and never asked money from anyone. This was in the mid-1800's. Christianity Today recently had an article on him. You can find it here:
    http://www.christianity.com/church/....com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/05/2013
    Look up: David Brainerd, Adoniram Judson, John Hyde, Amy Carmichael, Mary Slessor, Jim Elliot, Hudson Taylor, C.T. Studd, and many more.
    Read their biographies, and then tell me that the Holy Spirit was suppressed. You are demonstrating your ignorance of church history.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is a command of Scripture. Learn it.
    Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    I mark those that have doctrine contrary to that which I have learned and I avoid them, and teach others to do the same. It is a command that we are to follow.
    You are keeping company with false teachers.
    Semantics!
    God has already limited himself according to his nature, his word, his will, his purposes.
    God is not your little genie that you carry around in a bottle stuffed in your pocket that you can take out at any time you want a little miracle or some extra power. That is not how Christianity works.
    God does answer prayer, according to his will, not yours. He is not your slave. You cannot order God around, contrary to the thinking of many Charismatics ("I command you in the name of Jesus....") Who are you or they to command God to do anything? Very arrogant aren't they?
    You allegorize these scriptures like Origen a heretic did.
    They mean what they say.
    When are you going to start drinking your Draino?
    But you don't take the Scriptures here literally; in other places, but not here. That is rather convenient, don't you think? Even hypocritical.
    teleios is of a neuter gender and cannot refer to Christ. It refers to His Word. But you won't believe me no matter how well I explain it or how much proof I give. So what is the use?

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

Who are my co-horts? Who is claiming deity?
    Well, you continue to stay in your little box and believe that! The Holy Spirit is moving in a powerful way! He can get more done in 10 minutes than we can in a century!
    Nothing is impossible with God! Live in your history books! I want to be a part of what He is doing now!

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 nice little bumper stickers

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Since you know soo much about me..who am I keeping company with? My company is His Word and His Spirit to guide me!
    Again, study out Mark 16 carefully, Search out scriptures where He mentions serpernts and poison...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.