1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Lord Jesus Christ the one and only mediator?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was attempting to discuss this on another board, but I never got an answer so I am asking it here....please advise. Thanks

Is the Lord Jesus Christ the one and only mediator (i.e. means, medium, instrument) of salvation, or is salvation mediated through the agency of gospel preaching, the sinner’s exercise of faith and repentance, or participation in the sacraments?

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Jesus is the mediator. The Gospel is the message of the Mediator.

In other words, the message does not save. But it does point one in the direction of He who does.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that God is the only mediator of salvation. I think that men may be the instrument used by God, but salvation is not dependent on that instrument nor does that instrument save. I apologize if this is not worded adequately – but here’s an example of what I mean:

Suppose the gospel is printed on a poster and two people read the poster. One person is convicted, drawn, and believes while the other - after reading and considering what was printed - dismisses the words. The poster may have been the instrument used by God – but salvation was realized as work of God and not the poster. The poster was identical to both the saved and the unsaved reader – but the work was internal to the saved man and of God.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: That was what I was saying... I was just not as clear and used more words as I stumbled along.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

:applause:
    I believe you gave an excellent example of what we were both saying.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks guys...I agree.:thumbs:

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Can't be said better than this:

1st Timothy 2:5. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Can't argue with that one. :thumbsup:

Topped us both ... :smilewinkgrin:

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Question!

Of course Jesus is the only mediator. 1 Timothy 2:5

But does Christ's mediation start and end with Him becoming the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world? No.
    The idea is not only that He provides the propitiation for our past sins when we are baptized into Christ, but also that He continues to continuously propitiate our sins from then on. So unlike the High Priest who would sprinkle those with animal blood, to achieve a temporary atonement for sins, where the sinner would need to be sprinkled again and again, Christ's mediation is once for all, past, present and future.

Thus we are dependent on Jesus to provide our ongoing propitiation for our sins, after we are in Christ. So we are to be thankful for what He did, but also for what He does.

Salvation refers to more than one thing. When we are placed spiritually in Christ we are made alive together with Christ, and we undergo the circumcision of Christ where our body of flesh is removed (our sin burden) and arise in Christ holy and blameless and perfect. But then we stumble, and so we sin, but the fount of living water washes us continually so that the penalty of sin does not accrue to us. This "positional" (in Christ) sanctification occurs at conversion, when we are created and born anew.

However, another part of Salvation is called Progressive Sanctification, and this occurs during the time we physically live on earth after conversion. In this part of salvation we grow more like Christ, and if we build with stuff of eternal value, we accrue rewards, such that we enter heaven abundantly. If we do not build with stuff God rewards, then we still enter heaven, but as one escaping from a fire.

Finally, the third part of Salvation refers to our adoption at Christ's second coming where we are raised in glorified bodies.

So when someone says we play no part in our salvation, they may not be referring to God crediting our faith as righteousness, but to God alone placing us in Christ and causing us to be born anew. And they may not be referring to us either earning rewards or failing to earn rewards, through faithful service to our Lord and Master.

#9 Van, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  10. OldRegular

Some Scripture with which I believe Van's remarks above are consistent.

Hebrews 7:25. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

2 Peter 1:10. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

I John 2:6. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldnt know...he is on ignore.

12. OldRegular

I granted absolution to all those i had on ignore. I believe they are all gone now but my memory is going also!:sleeping_2:

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is but ONE mediator between God and man,Jesus Christ...

To hold that ANYONE/THING else can also go between us and God is to blashpheme the Cross and person of jesus Christ!

It calls God a liar, and tramples underfoot the blood jesus shed for our sins!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea well I've got an active list and it helps me not loosing it.:D