1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Lord's supper confined to the church building?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Soulman, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I noticed when my former pastor would present the Lords' supper, that after we were finished in the auditorium he would take it back to the nursery workers, Masters Club workers etc. No problem there.

My question is: What about shut ins who are members that can no longer come to church? Is it acceptable for the pastor or another church official administer the Lord's supper in their home?

This concept was totally rejected by the pastor with no real biblical reasoning. Is it biblical to take it outside the confines of the church parking lot? What say you? :cool:

2. mioque

mioque New Member

"Is it biblical to take it outside the confines of the church parking lot?"
    "
    Yes.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

In the bible there were no church buildings or church parking lots, they all took Lord's supper in their homes, where they had worship. If a person is a shut in and unable to attend church then what is wrong with them still taking part in the Lord's supper they are still part of the body of Christ. And thats all that matters.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I agree with donnaA and Mioque. You would be amazed at the amount of preachers that would disagree. I just don't understand why the would disagree.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

That's easy. The bread and Wine is a manifestation of their special 'voodoopower'.
    Officially, the more sensible parts of Christianity have abondened Transubstantion many centuries ago, but emotionally a surprising amount of preachers (while condemning any view of Communion that isn't symbolic) are still stuck in the days when THEY made it all happen in their magic laboratory (read churchbuilding).

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I'm not sure that's the reason, mioque. There are many that believe communion is for the assembled body only, and for them that means church body in session and nowhere else. I don't agree with them, but they are very sincere, and it has nothing to do with the pastor's arrogance.

Like I said, I don't agree...

7. mioque

mioque New Member

USN2Pulpit
    Good argument, well reasoned.

But I still like my delusions of voodoopower explanation better. ;)

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I believe mioque put some truth into the conversation. For many Christians the church is “idolized”, and anything outside of it is called into question. The Spirit of God is in each one of use regardless where we may be.

When we began thinking only worship can take place in a church, we run into problems. Where were Jesus and His Apostles at the last Supper? They were in a room, perhaps a party room above a restaurant, or even the owners living quarters. I don’t believe it makes too much difference for He was there, so that is where the Church was. The Church is Jesus Christ, and we are in that Church, the Body of Christ. If we wish to commune with Christ Jesus at meals with a glass of wine in our homes, by ourselves, with family, and or friends, can any say this is not acceptable? Is this what I Corinthians 11 may be trying to tell us in verse 34?

When we endeavor to confine God into our little minds and buildings, can we be any different than the Catholic church, or some others? The Temple worshippers? Jesus didn’t have this last supper in the Temple for this was not the place. To commune is to be with Him, the Body of Christ Church, and the commune is not all about us coming together to commune with each other, but it is He and we as individuals to remember Him as He requested. We talk to Him and must isolate, and concentrate on Him and remember what He did for us.

I am not saying it is not proper to have communion in church, but it must be done in order, and reverence without any soliloquy, while doing so – just the Spirit within us communicating with Christ Jesus.

We don’t know the actual day of His birth, and the month is certainly not December, as He didn’t give us this information for a good reason. He never intended for us to remember His birthday, only His sacrifice. So He says, “remember Me”, and we do this whenever we wish as this is not a demand, but a request. This is our memorial to Him.

I believe we can make a person to person call to say hello to let Him know we remember Him, thank Him, and tell Him how eager we are to see Him. We can do this every meal, or snack time, but when we come together, I believe we then are making a “conference” call, and any that wish to participate should be able to do so. He let Judas participate, so who are we to turn away any sinner. The unsaved sinner's direct line to heaven has never been connected, so the dead are speaking to a dead 'phone. Christian faith, ituttut.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of my church people feel a special bonding with the whole family AND with the Lord during Communion. We have taken the elements to homes of shut-ins, but make certain they are reminded of the truth of the symbol . . and NOT the "voodoo".

For 99% of the Catholic/Protestant faith, communion IS taking the Lord (literally) and it IS "voodoo".

As the Catholic Priest would begin his magic incantation holding up the "host", he would say "Hocus Pocus Corpus Christi . . "

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I would argue that communion is an ordinance of the church (the Body of Christ). Therefore, it must only be conducted by the assembled local body of believers. Must it be done inside the church building? No, but it must be done by the assembled body of believers (i.e. the church). However, that does not mean that if the assembled body of believers were holding a church picnic (or some other church-wide event) in a local park (outdoors) that they could not conduct communion. Likewise, there is no problem with taking communion to sick and shut-in members of the congregation. Those sick or shut-in people and the pastor and a deacon or two still comprise the assembled local body of believers gathered in that particular place and time.

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

If we are in the Body of Christ, are we there only when two or three are gathered in His name? Are we without Him when we are alone. I believe an earthly church is formed where two or three are gathered, but we in the Body of Christ form that Holy Church Body, alone or in a group. Christian faith, ituttut