1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Masonic Lodge a "Cult"?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 21, 2001.

1. bustr

bustr New Member

"Translation:
    You cant pin us down…we don’t believe anything, with the exclusion of three little things. Nobody can speak for masonry…they only express opinions."

EXACTLY!!!!!! It's a fraternity. Nothing more. We choose people for their character not their bloodline or wealth.

"Luke 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division"

If you want to use that scripture as a basis for alienating people that's your business.

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

For the millionth time we do not have any unholy rites. We have initiations, scholarship fundraisers, blood drives etc.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you forget the subject. Masonic lodges don't recruit and most probably wouldn't let you in anyway because you are so argumentative and wouldn't be able to get along with anyone. Most of the men of character who join masonry will not be swayed by your baseless arguments. Those who are swayed don't have the brains anyway. Masonry requires a sound mind.

2. qwerty

qwerty New Member

bustr,
    We won't be leaving this topic anytime soon, because, you said:

God created all of us not just Christians. Therefore we're all his children.

False statement. All people are His creation. Not all people are his children, or family. Only those who have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, through the blood of Jesus, are in the family of God.

Universalism. That which wars against the Only True and Living God. The lodge puts all gods on an equal footing. Idolatry. Sounds like Athens hill.

But to us, He is not the Unknown god.

So, we will not let the Masonic member feel at ease. At least not in my church.

PS 2:1 Why do the nations conspire
    and the peoples plot in vain?

PS 2:2 The kings of the earth take their stand
    and the rulers gather together
    against the LORD
    and against his Anointed One.

PS 2:3 "Let us break their chains," they say,
    "and throw off their fetters."

PS 2:4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
    the Lord scoffs at them.

PS 2:5 Then he rebukes them in his anger
    and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

PS 2:6 "I have installed my King
    on Zion, my holy hill."

PS 2:7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:
    He said to me, "You are my Son;
    today I have become your Father.

PS 2:8 Ask of me,
    and I will make the nations your inheritance,
    the ends of the earth your possession.

PS 2:9 You will rule them with an iron scepter;
    you will dash them to pieces like pottery."

PS 2:10 Therefore, you kings, be wise;
    be warned, you rulers of the earth.

PS 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear
    and rejoice with trembling.

PS 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry
    and you be destroyed in your way,
    for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
    Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

3. bustr

bustr New Member

"The lodge puts all gods on an equal footing. Idolatry. Sounds like Athens hill."

You know how ridiculous you sound? The lodge is not a forum for the practice or discussion of faith. Using your faulty logic a person can't be a member of anything that isn't exclusively Christian. That includes civic clubs professional organizations etc. If you work in a non-Christian environment then maybe you should quit your job.

"So, we will not let the Masonic member feel at ease. At least not in my church."

That's okay with me. It's your church. Since I'm an adult and know what I'm doing I personally will only go to churches where I'm accepted and I'll take my tithes and abilities to serve there too.

This is my last post. I won't even check this thread again. I'd advise you to stay away from masonry and we'll stay out of your church. I and my fellow masons will take our efforts and money elsewhere.

4. bustr

bustr New Member

"This is my last post. I won't even check this thread again."

Oops I've changed my mind.

TTT

5. bustr

bustr New Member

" . . a system of morality by which practice its members may mount the theological ladder from the Lodge on earth to the Lodge in heaven". It seeks to find truth in all sects and religions without being one."

Bob

I don't know where you got that statement but, FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME, Just because a mason writes something doesn't mean he speaks on behalf of the organization. Pike's opinions are no more valid than mine. Also only a small amount of our work is written and that line isn't in the book. The book being a "lodge monitor"; The only other text used in the lodge will be the scriptures of whatever faith the candidate believes in.

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Which completely violates our call, as Christians, of separation, especially with those who worship other gods.

7. bustr

bustr New Member

"Which completely violates our call, as Christians, of separation, especially with those who worship other gods."

Separation Huh? Are you a Christian or a Pharisee?

8. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bustr:
    "Which completely violates our call, as Christians, of separation, especially with those who worship other gods."

Separation Huh? Are you a Christian or a Pharisee?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you a Christian if you believe you can accept "scriptures" from other faiths? :eek:

9. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

From "Freemasonry" at www.watchman.org:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Freemasonry: A fraternal order revived in the early 18th century in England, loosely based on associations or guilds of stone cutters (“operative” masons). Freemasonry (“speculative” masons) sought to give philosophical, moral, or spiritual meaning to the lodge, tools, and oaths of the stone cutters. Branches of Freemasonry include the Blue Lodge, York Rite, Scottish Rite, and Shriners. Affiliated organizations include the Order of the Eastern Star (for women), the Order of DeMolay (for boys), and the Order of Rainbow (for girls). Most modern adherents maintain that the organization is not a religion but a club or fraternity promoting high moral values and good works. They believe, therefore, that Freemasonry is compatible with and supplements Christianity and other religions. Critics counter that Freemasonry involves secret blood oaths or curses, and that the writings of respected early leaders (Albert Mackey, Albert Pike, etc.) are replete with occult philosophy and religious doctrine contrary to Christianity. Despite Freemasonry’s promotion and funding of a number of worthwhile, philanthropic endeavors (free Shriner children hospitals, nursing homes, etc.), many Christian individuals and churches have condemned Freemasonry or warned of elements that they believe are contrary to Christianity. These churches include the Presbyterian Church of America, Southern Baptist Convention, Episcopal Church, Christian Reformed Church, Church of the Nazarene, and Lutheran Church (Missouri and Wisconsin Synods). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Masonry Claims To Be a Religious Institution
    This claim is made not once in this encyclopedia but literally dozens of times in different articles. We have not the time to hear all these references. I shall ask you to hear only one. Under the article on "Religion," Dr Mackey discusses fully the right of Masons to be called a "religious institution." He says that some of the more "timid brethren" have been afraid to declare its religious character lest the opponents of Masonry should use this fact against the lodge. But he insists that the truth should be told. I quote from the encyclopedia (pp 618-619):

"I contend without any sort of hesitation, that Masonry is, in every sense of the word except one, and that its least philosophical, an eminently religious institution - that is indebted solely to the religious element which it contains for its continued existence, and that without this religious element it would scarcely be worthy of cultivation by the wise and the good. But, that I may be fully understood, it will be well first to agree upon the true definition of religion. There is nothing more illogical than to reason upon undefined terms."

Dr Mackey then gives in full Webster's definition of "religion." The quotation is too length to give in full, but Dr Mackey proves conclusively that Freemasonry meets every requirement Webster's three primary definitions of religion, and sums up the proof in the following words:

"Look at its ancient landmarks, its sublime ceremonies, its profound symbols and allegories - all inculcating religious doctrine, commanding religious observance, and teaching religious truth, and who can deny that it is eminently a religious institution? ...."

Masonry, then, is indeed a religious institution; and on this ground mainly, if not alone, should the religious Mason defend it.

This should settle for all time the question as to whether or not Freemasonry is religious. According to its own claims, it is proper to speak of the "religion of Masonry." The man who contends that Freemasonry is not a "religious institution" is childishly ignorant of the organization or else he is a willful deceiver! Masonry is religious - it teaches religion. But this fact alone does not necessarily condemn Freemasonry.

Now I desire to lay down a Biblical truth - an axiom of Christianity. Here it is: There is only ONE TRUE religion. That religion is Christianity. All other religions are false.

I need not argue that proposition. No Christian has ever denied it. But listen to the word of the Lord Jesus himself on that point. Jesus said, "I am the door." The door to what? The door to God; the door to heaven; the door to eternal life. But that is not all. Listen to this same Jesus as He continues: "All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers." (John 10:7-8)

We are now in a position where we can determine absolutely whether or not the religion of Freemasonry is false or true. Here are the propositions:

(1) There is but one true religion - Christianity
    (2) Freemasonry has a religion!

(3) If it is Christianity, it is true!

(4) If it is not Christianity, it is false!

The issue is perfectly clear. The logic of these propositions cannot be evaded. We shall now go to Masonry's highest authority and say: "You have told us that your institution is a religious institution. We believe you, but we would ask one more question. Is your religion Christianity or is it not Christianity?" Freemasonry has answered this question. Mark carefully the answer on page 618 of the encyclopedia:

"THE RELIGION OF FREEMASONRY IS NOT CHRISTIANITY!"

These are not my words! They are the words of Masonry's own encyclopedia, prepared by one of the greatest Masonic authors, recommended to m,e as authentic by one of the highest officers in the Grand Lodge in Philadelphia! It declares FREEMASONRY has a religion and that religion IS NOT CHRISTIANITY!

I have not condemned Freemasonry. Freemasonry has condemned itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See entire article at
    Freemasonry and Christianity

11. bustr

bustr New Member

We feel like a believer (even a non-Christian) is more honest. That is why THEY (not the lodge as a whole) are allowed to use their canon for certain things. I do not care how many articles you find from Mackey's Encyclopedia or Albert Pikes Encyclopedia. Those are their opinions; They do not reflect an official belief of the lodge. The lodge has no religion, no plan of salvation and only one written work which has never been quoted in any of the idiotic, fascist, hate-filled articles that attempt to discredit masonry. This thread is 5 pages long; I've refuted every ridiculous accusation made. I only sent it to the top because it was being discussed on another thread and I originally forgot to answer one of Bob's questions. For the last time on my part.

TTT

12. Brian

Brian New Member

Bustr, you seem to be the only person (mason) who doesn't accept the works of Pike and Mackey as masonic fact. The only refutiation you have made is to say "thats no true its just one mans opinion".

Weak.

13. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

You say
    “I do not care how many articles you find from Mackey's Encyclopedia or Albert Pikes Encyclopedia. Those are their opinions; They do not reflect an official belief of the lodge.”

You also say
    “We feel like a believer (even a non-Christian) is more honest”
    “The lodge has no religion, no plan of salvation”

So, they cannot speak for Masonry but you can?

For the record, will you renounce Mackey and Pike (seeing as you speak for Masonry) as heraticks?

“only one written work which has never been quoted in any of the idiotic….” I’ve got a little blue book around somewhere, could that be the one you are referring to?

14. John Wells

John Wells New Member

bustr,

In other words, don't bother with the facts. You've already made up your mind. And you alone are the sole spokesperson for the Masonic Lodge. Amazing how dogmaticly blind a person can insist on being! :eek:

Your lodge may not do any of the cultic things that have been presented over and over to you. But let me ask you this. If you found a Mormon church that was baptistic in worship and doctrine, would you join it? Whether you are honest and straightforward about your particular lodge or not, you as a Christian are violating God's Word by associating with an organized group of "other gods" worshippers.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: John Wells ]

15. mainemom01

mainemom01 Guest

I know that this is a late entry but in regards to freemasonry, I believe that it is a cult due to the fact that the Bible clearly states in Exodus and as a matter of fact it is a commandment that we are to put no gods before the Lord God Almighty. Freemasonry clearly has other gods that they deal with and you know that you can not serve two gods you either love the one and hate the other. So in regards to masonic belief what is it going to be the Lord God Almighty or your god?