1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is the pledge of allegiance idol worship?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BroChris, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BroChris

BroChris Member

A co-worker stated one morning that he thought saluting the American (and even the Christian) flag during services was a form of idol worship. He compared it to when Aaron made the golden bull...(I didn't see that analogy making sense with his argument, but I still see where he's coming from). What are your thoughts?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like he's a Jehovah's Witness.

They believe that pledging loyalty to any human institution divides your loyalty to God.

While I don't have a problem reconciling the fact that I am a citizen of both earth and heaven, JW's have such a convoluted false theology that they cannot understand that simple biblical truth.

3. Loren B

Loren B New Member

The Old Testament Hebrews paid special honor and respect to items that were not God and it was not considered idolatry. Manna, Aaron's Rod, and the Tablets of the 10 commandments were given special place and were set as remembrances. Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness. The Hebrews were commanded to leave mounds of stone in certain places. These were all tokens not gods.
    Flags are but tokens of our earthly citizenship. Paul certainly used the fact that he was a Roman. Did that make him an idolater of Rome? He never renounced his Roman citizenship.
    Even Jesus very clearly stated "Give unto Caesar ..."

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Patriotism is not a vice.

However, I have seen the extreme that have used it as part of a hate-worship - been to Hayden Lake, Idaho, where a "christian" church is really neo-nazi.

And have seen some preachers so pro-America or pro-Bush (or Reagan) that they DID elevate it to the point of worship. Sadly.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, the Pledge of Allegiance is not adolatry.

6. I'm no JW .and of course the flag and the pledge is a form of idolitry .MATH 5:33-35 ;JAMES 5:12, .ANY government is the world and the only gov. that a christain can have loylty to is his true home/country HEB.11:14-16 ;11 COR.5:20 GET your dictionary and look up ambassador .O" brother Black there you go again taking everything at face value...

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

No, and it isn't even close.

8. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

If "I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands...", is my allegience to G-d compromised since I cannot server two Masters???

This too was a question that I asked of myself and others following 9-11 when so many began to place the American flags on their vehicles; their businesses; their homes; etc. and it became a matter of what I interpreted as worship of an ideal; a concept; a way of life. I posted back then that I refused to worship this symbol of freedom and the leader who pressed this symbol ever onward to oppress Iraq.

I am not a Bushite. Nor do I worship at his alter of war whereon is mounted the flag of the United States. My vehicle doesn't carry any symbol except that of the manufacturer. There are no flags and no fishes or crosses either.

If I did pledge my allegience to anything, it would be my allegience to all things Christian; and of and to G-d.

That was my argument and it wasn't a popular stand to take. I was called unAmerican and a traitor. It didn't mean I was not patriotic nor that I wasn't proud of being an American or ready to stand to defend my country. It simply meant that I wouldn't compromise my faith and belief in G-d for anyone's secular belief system. I still feel that way.