1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Is the 'Purpose Driven Methodology' scriptural?"

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bro. James, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Dr. Bob, I don't think anyone is arguing that a person must have perfect knowledge of all things to be saved.

However, if a person "comes to Christ" and yet still thinks he/she is in control, he/she is still lost.

So at best, Warren is incomplete in his "gospel" attempts.

Btw, have you ever realized the connection between Warren and Robert Schuller? You do realize they are very good friends don't you? You do know that his book mimics much of what Schuller is known for saying don't you?

2. superdave

superdave New Member

wundarbar, superdave exclaims with great relish

This is the real issue of this thread

BTW, The purpose driven methodology has nothing to do with your theology, except if your theology is correct, you will have no problem using it ;)

Speaking from a church that preaches the Gospel clearly, (Non-lordship, but we do believe that a call to sonship is a call to discipleship, clearly taught by Warren as well) and uses the PD methodology. It is two separate things folks, so don't get off track and discuss your petty differences with Warren's theology or practice. The PD methodology is an effective tool to use to market your message, thats all it is. I could adopt it to sell anything. It also happens to be based on scriptural principles, like almost all good business practices are.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Dave, you might want to check on this. I would be surprised if your pastor would deny lordship salvation, though he might not like the term. And saying a call to sonship is a call to discipleship is not substantively different.

Bob, While "Jesus" may be the most used and "Lord" the least used, the commands regarding salvation in Scripture do say to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and to confess Jesus as Lord (Romans 10:9). IMO, it seems hard to say that you can be saved apart from confessing him as Lord.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good discussion. But I did not have a clue about confessing Jesus as Lord when I accepted Him as Savior.

Maybe 10 years later I figured this out. Lordship salvation (REQUIRING it for salvation) is not in my life.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I went to Pastor's School at Hammond with Dave and Jack, but that does NOT make me a whoremonger!

I've been in the Crystal Cathedral but still do not have great self esteem!

Red herring. Guilt by association. Warren is linked with Schuller (he has been blessed by Schuller; hey I've been blessed by a lot of odd ducks myself) and with Hybels (people confuse Purpose Driven with User Friendly). Both links are confusion in the mind, not in reality.

6. LarryN

LarryN New Member

W.E. Criswell, in his introduction to The Purpose Driven Church, referred to Rick Warren as his "son in the ministry". In the book, Warren talks about how Criswell had been a mentor & friend to him, especially during the early years of Saddleback.

Daniel David (or others), what do you think do that relationship?

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is W.E. Criswell? Couldn't find much about him with google search.

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

9. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

I didn't say Warren and Satan have a good thing going. Satan has a good thing going if he can get peoples eyes off God's word.
    If your going to quote me at least have the courage to do it correctley. You sound like John Kerry in the debate last night. Twisting things to fit your left leaning [​IMG]

Bob C

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There is a young woman attending my church right now because of reading PDL. She met with my wife yesterday for about 3 1/2 hours to talk about her life and her situation. While I haven't read the PDL entirely (I have read part of it), and I am greatly concerned about some of the things in it, the book is being used by God to draw people to himself. This young woman claims to have committed her life to Christ for salvation and on Sunday I will be giving her a follow up Bible study to work through that my wife will disciple her through. I am excited about that, and as much as I disagree with Warren's methodology, the PDC is the NT paradigm. The PDL seems to have grown out of that NT paradigm though Warren has many problems in the book.

But with Paul, I will rejoice when the gospel is preached whether out of envy or not.

Bob, perhaps in another thread if you care to answer, I would be very curious to know what you think "Confess Jesus as Lord" in Rom 10 means with respect to salvation. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you seem to be minimizing that some. Would you mind commenting on your view of it?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Acrually, that's not the case at all. Warren attended a pastor's conference there some 15 or so years ago. That's pretty much it. Both churches are in the same county, and I'm sure they probably run into each other from time to time, but that's a far cry from "good friends". I've heard both men speak on a number of occaisions, and can't recall any time where one referenced the other in a personal manner.

BTW, I run into Rev & Mrs Schuller in the grocery store about once a month, because I live in the same neighborhood as they do. Seen them there for some 10 or so years now. Does that mean we're good friends?

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see Schuller's philosophy in Rick Warren's PDL book.