1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Sunday School Teacher a "pastor" ?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Salty, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a discussion going on that considers a Sunday School teacher as the pastor of his class. He went on to state that the nucleus of the church is actually the Sunday School. The church this indivudal is from has attendence of several hundred. They have Sunday School classes of 30 and 40 members each. This is opposed to our church which averages about 50 a week.

Would you agree with the thinking a SS teacher is actually a pastor. If so, would it make a difference if the teacher is a woman?
    Does the size of the chruch make a difference?

[​IMG] Put you thinking caps on before you answer this one.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

It was almost like that in a church I was in. The class I taught was over 60 people. The thing is, I never considered myself more than a teacher, but some in the class thought of me as a pastor. This was before I actually ever became a pastor. I think it can appear that way, especially in a larger church where the teacher might be the only church leader the folks regularly come in contact with. This is a false assumption on their part. While it was true that I faithfully prepared lessons, and gave them in a way I felt led to, I was never fully a pastor at that time.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SS Teacher is a TEACHER. He may de facto "pastor" some class members, but he is NOT Pastor.

Nor should he usurp authority from the Pastor.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Funny, that's exactly how my pastor felt at the time. We discussed it many times. He did say though that my class was large enough to have its own offertory.

I don't think I can count the times I emphasized the pastor's role in the church and the member's responsibility to follow.