1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is the "Whosover Wills" Promise To the Elect of God, or to ALL?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. Rev. 22:17

Relative to all of mankind all over the world are the rules of engagement between man and God different in the time frame of chapter 22 of the book of Revelation and today

Jesus the prophet like unto Moses said, John 7:37 last part 38 If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

But when did he say this 37 first part In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Prophetically is this not the same time frame as Rev. 22? The last sabbath day of the last feast.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

None of those verses say God has chosen only certain men while others are passed over or excluded. Show me where the scriptures ever say that.

Gal 5:4 Christ is *become* of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are *fallen* from grace.

How can God's grace "become" of no effect to someone unless it was first effectual?

How can a person "fall" from grace unless it was offered them?

So, those verses you cited in no way say God chooses to pass over or exclude anyone. It is man who excludes himself, who falls away from the grace offered him by attempting to justify himself through the works of the law. God's grace has "become" of no effect for them, but originally it was.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Why don't you respond to my other post that I had replied to you. I just simply answered the question.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snip]

Heheh, imo, by far and away it's the anti-Cals that proclaim John Calvin through their incessant quest to stamp out the doctrines of God's sovereign grace.

I wonder how often his name would even be mentioned if it weren't for the anti-Cals.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never said a truer word dear brother.:thumbsup:

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I do not think you could be any more [snip - personal attacks are not permitted]

#46 quantumfaith, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

[snip - personal attacks are not permitted]

I was over this whole thing even before I finished typing a response to your unfounded attack on folks here that you alleged claim Calvin is the Gospel, and that they've done so many times. Still no proof.

[snip - personal attacks are not permitted]

#47 preacher4truth, Jun 16, 2011
  8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:laugh::laugh:

Q.E.D.

9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Is not the DoG trusting in the finished work of Christ not trusting in our trust? Isn't what Spurgeon believed that grace is trusting in the finished work of Christ?

#49 psalms109:31, Jun 16, 2011
  10. Winman

Winman Active Member

This reply?

The part of Tom's post (and yours) I consider error and contradiction is this statement I have bolded:

According to Calvinism, all MAY NOT COME. Only those who receive the effectual calling can come, those who receive a general calling cannot come.

A Calvinist cannot honestly say all who hear the gospel can come, because they don't believe that. They believe only those who receive the effectual calling can come, those who receive the general calling cannot come.

Now that I have answered your question, how about you answering mine?

Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

How can God's grace "become" of no effect to a person unless it were first effectual?

How can a person "fall" from grace if God's grace is not offered them?

I answered your question, now you answer mine.

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Can you explain how those already rejected since the foundation of the world (not elect) may come?

Joe Heathen was born non-elect and totally depraved, thus unable to willingly come to Christ. Explain to us how Joe may come to Christ?

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Will he even be willing though to come to Christ?

Does God "owe" him the chance to actually get saved or not?

Please explain how God could by Grace enable him to have a real ability to come to Christ, yet he ends up rejecting it?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can it even be deemed an offer? Words have meanings. Can I genuinely offer you a million bucks if I don't have it, or if I do but have no intention of ever giving it to you? Is it a real offer or fake as defined?

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

The word "enable" does not mean "causes". If I wrote you a PM and said I will send you a free Super Bowl ticket if you PM me back with your name and address, I have enabled you to receive a free Super Bowl ticket, but I have not caused you to have a free ticket. You must first believe me. If you do not believe me but think I am lying, you will not respond and send me your information. If you do believe me, you must respond. I enabled you, but you must do the responding. If you refuse to respond, no free ticket.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about through a resurrection to physical life and righteous judgement?

And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make [it].

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Because anyone may come. God will not reject anyone that comes to him. And nobody is "rejected since the foundation of the world. I thought you used to be a Calvinist? Rejected gives the idea that one comes and is not allowed to come...rejected, but Calvinism doesn't teach that people come and are rejected.

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Actually that's not true. You have just had Tom and I to tell you that's not true. So why would you continue to say that. Calvinism doesn't teach that "all may not come" but that "all may come."
    true
    those that only receive the general call because everyone receives the general call to salvation.
    True because they would rather stay in their sin.
    You didn't answer any question at all. Still no contradiction.
    Unless you are advocating that one can lose his salvation, it's obviously not speaking about a saved person falling from Grace. If the person is not saved, then it was never effective. The word "become of no effect" means to be severed from/separated. unsaved people are separated from God. The passage is about people that were trying to be justified by the law and not of the Grace offered to them.

oh, and God's grace is offered to everyone.

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

If you are not going to give it even if they do come, then it would not be a genuine offer. If you would give it to them if they did, then it is a genuine offer.

the grace of God is offered to all, but not all will come. the Atonement of Christ is of infinite value and sufficient to save all(as worded in the Canons of Dort)

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The gospel and atonement aren't for the non elect, hence it cannot be a true offer.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

But you believe they were passed over (rejected) by God before the foundation of the world and CANNOT come. This is a direct contradiction of what you and Tom said, you both said "All may come".

Do you think we cannot discern the difference between saying "none who come shall be rejected" and "All may come."?

You really believe people are gullible don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.