1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is theology SUPPOSED to be simple?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 23, 2010.

?
  1. EVERYTHING in the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The deep things of God are unsearchable and we should never try

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some of the deep things of God, he has revealed to us and we should dig for them like treasure

84.2%
  4. Other- I will explain

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

All I can say is this, everytime scripture has seemed difficult and complex, when I learned the answer it seemed amazingly simple. In fact, once my eyes were opened, I was absolutely amazed why I couldn't see how simple the answer was before, such as the example I gave. I knew Jesus had offered his blood on the mercy seat in heaven, but when I read Romans 4:25 I didn't put the two together. But when my pastor asked me what Jesus did when he ascended to heaven, I immediately saw the answer. It was simple too.

I agree with MB, you have to pray and ask God to reveal scripture to you. I can honestly say God has answered this prayer for me many times. I have wondered about a particular verse and prayed for God to help me understand it, and then gone to church that day and the pastor preached a sermon on that very verse and explained it to me. That has actually happened to me quite a number of times.

But it is not always that easy. Sometimes you have to pray for many months, or even years before God answers your prayer. But most of the time I get a pretty quick answer.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

God has proved these verses to me many times. It is now easy for me to believe God will answer my prayers when scripture seems difficult.

I have never gotten much from reading men. My pastor from many years ago told me he quit reading commentaries. I asked him why, and he said that whenever he had difficulty with scripture and consulted a commentary, those writers had as much difficulty as he did. I agree with this and get very little from commentaries personally.

But trust God's promise in James and see for yourself how quick the answers will come.

#21 Winman, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The scriptures are clear on this; the things necessary for salvation, are simple.

All theology is not.

It is no accident that the word for "study" in the New Testament, in regards to "dividing the Word of Truth" means to "sweat" or "exert oneself." Studying the scriptures on some things, are absolutely difficult, and anyone who says otherwise, has failed to wrestle with them!

The idea that the entirety of theology is "easy", is insulting and blasphemous. "Theology" is the study of God, and to say that it is easy for humans, is to say that God is less than we. Obviously this diminishing of God is where so many fall into error; trying to reduce God to human logic, rather than trusting what the scriptures say, understanding that God is larger than we.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am sorry, but this is sad. The Holy Spirit does not just "poof" knowledge into people's heads. Yes, He gives wisdom in answer to prayer. Now the question is, HOW does he give that wisdom? He answers that question.

Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
    Eph 4:12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

It is the height of human arrogance that says that God speaks to them, but ignores what God has said to others. Apparently people of this breed, actually hold themselves up as the final authority.

Personally, I read all of the commentaries I can. I am a weak wretch of a man, with a wicked heart and poor motives. But thank the Lord that he has seen fit to give us teachers, that help keep such things in check.

I wonder if some of the people in Corinth said "I don't care what the apostle Paul says. I feel God is leading me to..."

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Great Post, thanks for mentioning the Didache, so many do not even "consider" it associating it only with Catholicism. I have read it, some time back and was astounded by the similarities between it and many statements in our NT cannon.

5. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Simple?

After it is revealed, it's simple. Before I get understanding, it looks like a mountain. It's kinda like when I thought it was impossible to lay hands on someone, pray and heal them. Then when I saw it happen the first time I was blown away. Then I looked back at the scriptures that say we believers will do the same things Jesus did, it was simple. Still blows me away though lol.:love2:

6. quantumfaith

Luke, perhaps we are all either "getting the cart before the horse" or maybe talking around one another. Although I have not read every post.. here is my sentiment.

I dont think anyone wishes to "trivialize" theology by saying it is simple. The process of salvation (and we wont argue that) is simplified, however, all the richness and mercy and grace and love......behind it is anything but simple.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Blasphemous? Boy, some folks throw that word around easily here.

2 Cor 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

The scriptures themselves speak of the "simplicity" that is in Christ and warn us to beware of those who would corrupt our minds through subtilty.

So, you are insulted when average men can understand the scriptures? That is nothing new.

Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

The religious leaders in Jesus's day were offended when a simple carpenter taught the word of God. Nothing has changed today.

#27 Winman, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  8. quantumfaith

Havensdad, what about the authors of our scripture. Were they not led or inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Some would argue that those that penned the scriptures were basically dictated to by God. Others accept the influence and direction of the Holy Spirit while simultaneously acknowledging the human side as well. What say you?

This has often been a question of mine when churches make decisions about pastors, building projects etc. Most churches I have been a part of have special dedicated prayer times seeking the leading of God, inevitably some say God is leading me thusly, while others say no, God is leading me differently.

9. quantumfaith

I agree in the strongest possible sense. We should ban the use of "blasphemous" and "heretic" with the exception that someone violates any "essential" of Christianity.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave,

Here I am in total concurrence with you....add apostate & reprobate to the mix & I'm completely there. One must remember that usage of these words generally comes outa ones mouth in heated debate and/or frustration. The brother or sister using it needs to be reprimanded & should apologize.

11. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Holy Spirit

The important thing is being baptized into the Holy Ghost with signs confirming. Anything else is less than what Jesus wants for us.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me what do you mean by signs confirming....Im unclear.

13. quantumfaith

Thank you brother, you and I can demonstrate that two men on "different" sides of the theological aisle can still be cordial and respectful. Even when we disagree in the strongest possible way. Blessings.

14. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Like in the book of Acts. Like wherever a person preaches the gospel, miracles happen. You can bet that person has been baptized with the Spirit, God confirms it everytime. Anything else is just talk lol.:love2:

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charismatic confusion. :(

16. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

True believer. Mark 16/John14/many more. If ya seen it, ya seen it! Yahoo! :jesus:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would confirm it through Scripture since its written by the HS. Im not interested in quenching the HS, rather just confirming that it is actually Him doing the sign.

18. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

When you watch a man have another man sit down in a chair, hold the man's leg, and command the leg to grow in Jesus' name, then it grows out 3 inches, you will be convinced.:jesus:

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It is my contention that YOU make everything complicated. :laugh:

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Convinced of what exactly?

Matthew 7:22?

It proves nada.

:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.