1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is theology SUPPOSED to be simple?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 23, 2010.

?
  1. EVERYTHING in the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The deep things of God are unsearchable and we should never try

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some of the deep things of God, he has revealed to us and we should dig for them like treasure

84.2%
  4. Other- I will explain

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Couldnt you have told him privately? Enough said.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He posted it publicly, Bud.

3. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Anything and everything CAN BE MADE complicated.

Driving a car is simple. Ask any teenager with a license to drive and you'll hear about how easy it is. Then ask a traffic court lawyer how simple it is, and you'll hear a lot of buts, or's, and what if's.

Ask a pilot of an airplane how easy it is to takeoff and land, and he'll tell you that, once you get the hang of it, it is simple. Then, he can tell you the "but's" that involve windsheer, runway length, malfunctioning flaps, etc, etc.

Knowing the Bible's information about being born again is simple. After that, though, the Bible Lawyers get involved and "away we go."

Sadly, it is at this point that people quit reading their Bibles. They listen to their preacher and believe everything the preacher says, and they accept what they hear as being "the truth." The Bible just becomes something to hold while walking to and from the car.

As long as they never discuss Biblical issues outside of their congregation, there is no problem. However, if they ever discuss God, Salvation, and Christian behavior outside of church, that's when the trouble starts.

You preachers don't even agree on what the Bible says.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Neither do you.

But most of the trouble is inability or refusal to see truth, proof texting, presuppositions, application versus true Biblical interpretation, and equating application as an interpretation, and plain wrong interpretation.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. Thank you. [emphasis mine]

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In his sermon Our Lord’s Trial before the Sanhedrin, Charles Spurgeon noted that the difference between New Testament and "Reformation" preaching is that

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Simple, elegant and unfortunately true. :)

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why?

Isn't your response somewhat begging the question? People actually "quit" with God because some theologians study the deeper things of God, extract doctrines and theologies from Scripture, etc.? Really?

I'm not trying to get down on you, but this just seems like a really weird thought to me. I'm trying to get my arms around it.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theres a problem with biblical interpretation, unless you're using a Greek Bible. If it's in English then you don't need interpretation. Where men get into misunderstanding is when they try to reinterpret the Bible to say what they want it to, instead of what it actually says. We don't have to interpret a news paper unless it's in a foregin tongue. We read it and take it at it's face value. after all if you want to you can interpret an add to say just about anything you want it to but that will not make it true. We have a tool for understanding. I just don't understand why people will not use it. It's called prayer, and it better than any of mans logical ideas or interpretations. We shouldn't be afraid to ask God what he means by a passage. Those who have not, ask not.
    MB

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Amen to that. The religious leaders were also offended at the blind man when they perceived that he dared to teach them (John 9:34). Love that passage.

:jesus:

11. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

#71 Gershom, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
  12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There are rules of grammar for every language. Those rules dictate the way we read words and interpret them. We use subject/verb agreement, and each sentence has a structure, that properly diagrammed will give us the most accurate picture of the words presented.

I've found that these rules of grammar are not well known, either in English or in the Biblical languages. Instead, people do searches for "key words" then view those key words through their own worldview lens.

A proper study of the Scriptures, whether in English, the original languages, or any other language will necessarily involve the following of the rules of grammar, but if the student is unaware of these rules, or how to apply them, almost anything can (and is!) be said.

This entire issue becomes doubly important when delving into the original languages, because they are not our native tongue, and we often fail to grasp some of the differences in grammatical convention applied in the ancient world compared to our own time. For instance, in both Greek and Hebrew (and Aramaic) verbs often precede nouns. The action comes first, then the subject of that action.

If translated into English in exactly that form, it would be virtually un-readable for most (indeed, the ASV does just about that!). Texts would be in the nature of, "Praying, Paul was to God." which in English could be construed to mean several things. What the original language grammar conventions do show us, however, is which word (typically) the ancient writer thought most important, for that is generally close to the front of the sentence, giving the astute reader clues into the true mind of the writer.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can the child with mental retardation, whether slight or severe, ever truly understand the "deep" things of the Bible? Can the person standing next to you understand to the same level as you? Or you to him?

There is a reason why the passage from 1 Corinthians 12 was given to us as scripture: because we are not all the same. We do not all have the same gifts, we do not all have the same abilities, we do not all have the same capability for knowledge and/or understanding.

This same reason is reiterated in 1 Peter 4:11.

For that reason, Luke, your question is meaningless. Study to the point that you're satisfied...and be satisfied with the study that your neighbor is capable of, based on the ability that God gives to each of us.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Simple, but not simplistic... I said that above, about 3 pages ago.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I make no claims to be so educated on Biblical Greek or it's grammar. It really isn't the subject here.
    You see Even if the Bible were only writen in Greek I still have God to explain it to me. This is the simplicity of understanding God's word, no matter what version you use. God can and will reveal the truth to us.
    MB

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Okay, I'll bite...

How does God explain Scripture to you? (Not saying that He doesn't, just want to know how.)

I often hear this, but so far no one has been able to give me a decent answer.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can understand that it's difficult to explain. I'll do my best for you.

It's like how you know you're saved and when you're not. You recognize it. The answer is already inside of you, you just need to access it by recognition. That recognition can be given to us from God.

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Literaly we are with out excuse for not knowing it, Because the truth of it all is written on our hearts. We are physcially born with it inside of us other wise the unrighteous people Paul is writting about here couldn't have known these things. Romans 1:18. The part I like best is we are all unrighteous to begin with.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Then, you would realize that those words were written about lost sinners, right?

I'm still trying to get a handle on how it is that God tells you stuff. I read the Word, we all do (at least I hope!). I received the Holy Spirit when I was born again, but I find in the Word that we are commanded by God to "study."

Do you not have to?

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Again, I consider this arrogance. "God, I know your word says that you gave us teachers for our understanding, but I think I know better than you."

The scriptures tell us how we know we are saved. And it is not just some "feeling" (that's just lunch not agreeing with you...). We know it, by examining ourselves. Many Jesus confessing individuals will be utterly surprised at his return, believing themselves to be saved, when they are not. You cannot trust your feelings, and you cannot trust your heart.

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Where was this stated?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.