1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there A Baptism In the holy Spirit For today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. awaken

awaken Active Member

NO, I don't think so!
    John's baptism was before the cross.
    Phillips preaching and baptizing was after the cross...big difference.

Philip preached Christ
    John preached repentance...again different.

The ones in chapter 19 were not baptized in the name of Jesus until Paul baptized them.
    Philip baptized them in the name of Jesus.

Yet....NONE had received the Holy Spirit!

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They only knew Johns baptism....repent the kingdom of heaven is at hand....they were ot believers in the nt time.....read it again, although you will not see it if you are still angling for the error.There are several times in Acts where it is seen....if anyone wants to see it.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 8:19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

Simeon was not saved.
    He wanted what Philip and the Apostles had.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

THat is another thread about Simeons salvation! The point that you keep avoiding is that they did not receive the Holy Spirit when they believed and were baptized. WHY?
    The way you believe contradicts too many scriptures about the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Too many unanswered questions!

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

Oh, I saw it and addressed it!
    What you do not want to see or address is that these two accounts are different. Acts 19 they were baptized under John's baptism BEFORE THE CROSS (This brings to mind another question that most can not answer). Acts 8 they were baptized after the cross by Philip in the name of Jesus not John... BUT STILL DID NOT RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.

If we use the Acts 19 to prove that everyone that was baptized by John for repentance did not receive the Holy Spirit...then what about the apostles? Weren't they baptized by John? Did they get re-baptized? If so I can not find it in scriptures. THey did get baptized in the Holy Spirit the day of Pentecost..but this is not water, right?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Now you claim that these believers were not saved??

The entire point of the passage is to demonstrate that they did receive the Holy Spirit. It is a difficult passage for Charismatics to swallow.

Acts 8:8 There was great joy in that city.
    --Why was there great joy?

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching good news concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
    --What exactly do you think happened here? How did this differ from Pentecost? (Acts 2:41). You avoided this question.

What Iconoclast has been telling you is correct. You should listen.
    The church was going through a time of transition. This is a historical book.
    At Pentecost, what happened:
    The Jews repented,
    were baptized,
    received the Holy Spirit.

Here in Samaria:
    The Samaritans believed,
    were baptized,
    had the apostles lay hands upon them and pray for them,
    received the Holy Spirit.

But yet they were both saved in the exact same way.
    The apostles laid hands on them symbolically, to authenticate that salvation had actually come to the Samaritans; that no one could speak against it. It strengthened the unity of the church.

What did Simeon see?
    The Scriptures do not say that he saw anything supernatural (though it is possible). The Scriptures are silent here. Simeon could simply be referring back to the miracles and power-filled preaching of Philip. He could be referring to the praying of the Apostles which I am sure were "full of grace and power." There were no cloven tongues of fire, no mighty rushing wind, etc. They received the Holy Spirit as the Scripture says. Beyond that we can say nothing.

From the desire of Simeon to gain power through monetary means comes the word "simony," the definition of which is just that--gaining some religious office, or any sacred gain, through monetary means. It includes the sale of indulgences and all forms of supposed spiritual benefits that come as a result of money.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

Back to the same old tricks....Read my post earlier I said THEY WERE SAVED AND BAPTIZED.

Nice try...but it said they did not receive the Holy Spirit until after they believed the word and was baptized. Read vs. 16!

No, you just did not read my post with understanding! Go back and read them!
    Do you not see the difference here and Pentecost?
    Pentecost was the Day the Holy Spirit was poured out on the earth to the church (believers).
    Acts 8 happened after the HS was poured out..so everyone should have received the HS at salvation, right? But Acts 8 they did not receive the HS when they believed and were baptized.

Symbolic or not...they did not receive until the hands were laid on them...read vs 16-17.

Acts is not just transitional! It was the church walking in the Power of the Holy Spirit. We are the church and we are still here....and we still have the same Holy Spirit!

We can say what the Bible says! It is clear that Simeon saw something when he saw Peter and John lay hands on them.

14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
    15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
    16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
    17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
    18. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    19. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.[/quote]

Simon wanting to buy the power of the Holy Spirit was wrong, this I will agree with!

But He still saw something when Peter and John laid hands on them!

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And the only proper and honest thing to do is:
    Where the Bible is silent, I am silent also.
    Do not read any more into the Bible then what is already there.

Maybe he saw a two-headed elephant with five horns protruding.
    You can read anything you want into the Scriptures. So don't.
    Don't read anything into the Bible. Where the Bible is silent, then be silent.

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

But the question goes unanswered....
    IF they were saved and baptized...why didn't they receive the Holy Spirit?

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

In answer to the OP: Yes -- and it happens at conversion.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do believe we can get it all at conversion (The Gentiles are a good example of this). But the answer to the question still goes unanswered about Acts 8.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Not to me it doesn't. This was settled for me many years ago, and I'd rather not revisit it. Suffice it to say that the way it was settled made me decisively not Pentecostal or Charismatic.

And yet I don't believe any of the gifts of the Spirit have ceased.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well then you don't mind sharing to help some of us understand it without contradicting other scriptures..

I have no problem with someone receiving it all at once! I have no problem with some being saved and receiving it later! If the Bible says it can happen both ways I can accept it! But most will ignore this scripture or explain it away.

It can be reconciled by saying you get it all at salvation and the baptism releases what is on the inside...but can that be proven in scriptures?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question was asked and answered. I went verse by verse through the entire passage with you. If you refuse or reject the answers given I can't help you. Your unbelief is astounding.

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

YOu never answered the question...go back and read it for yourself. You side stepped it!

16. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Like most Baptist I have been asked many times "Have you been filled with the Spirit"? To which I reply, "Yes many times"? followed by "Did you speak in tongues"? When I answer no they usually look at me as if to say what a pity.

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

This is what I see in scriptures too! The filling comes more than once!