1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there A Baptism In the holy Spirit For today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I do not know about "Full Gospel Baptists", but there is a baptism of the Holy Ghost, it is to be desired, but has nothing to do with the ticket to heaven.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The sign gifts were just that....VISIBLE AND PUBLIC ...signs of what took place inside the person.Look at how they were explained.....people said.....when we saw they received the exact same gift....then they believed in the Apostoloic word as it was still being written.

We have the word now...same word..same Spirit to open that word to us....no new words .

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

But tongues do not give a new word??

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Awaken.....Do you believe the tongue comes from the persons own mind, or from the Spirit of God?

If it came from their own mind...it is not tongues....that is why we hear gibberish, because the person is told they are Praying, or singing in a "special prayer tongue" that satan does not know what they are saying.

If it comes from God....it is new revelation no matter how you try to spin it. The Spirit giving a message, some instruction,etc.

When there was tongues ...Paul instructed and gave rules about the need for an interpretation.....

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

Tongues comes from the Holy Spirit giving the utterance. I have already discussed this on another thread with others so I am not going to get into it here.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly...when there was tongues...it came from God..

Nobody speaks in tongues today.....just make rhyming noises...as if that was the real thing. Everyone that posts a link with supposed leaders of this movement gets embarrassed by people barking like dogs, running in circles, laughing like those phoneys, Copeland and Hagin.

Everyone says....oh I do not mean these guys???? well who do you mean? There are none...zero.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes! THere are churches that manifest the Holy Spirit in an orderly fashion and by the Bible. When truth and Spirit come together it is powerful!

The discussion of this thread is .."Is there a baptism of he Holy Spirit today?"

I say yes!

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Awaken,

I do not usually keep up with those who believe in ongoing revelatory gifts, but I see you have offered a list of verses to show what you are considering, I have to go back to work now, but i will offer a response to that list and post later on. In short however...most of the list was speaking of physical healing, because those signs of the apostles were taking place then...I will answer more later.

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

I show scriptures for all that I consider in all the threads!:smilewinkgrin:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is why I have not given up that you are serious about God's word!later on...

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You also refuse to answer my oft repeated question as to whether you believe it is right for Charistmatics to split churches and steal sheep. Therefore I am assuming that you think it is perfectly all right, and furthermore you are hiding here on the BB what you believe about that.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    acts2:41Then they that gladly received his word
    acts4- that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

and they spake the word of God with boldness.

And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
    acts5-12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people;

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

It is all about establishing the word of God for the church which is Pillar and ground of the truth:
    Spirit baptism unites the church to Christ. The word is foundational for the church to function as pillar and ground of the truth.It was established by the sign gifts....we have it now...and God has sealed His word.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am amazed at how many people here don't seem to know the difference between baptism and filling.

Baptism is you in the water.

Filling is the water in you.

Same is true regarding the Spirit.

Baptism is you in the Holy Spirit.

Filling is the Holy Spirit in you. :)

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That's succinct and good. :)

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do not think it is right for anyone to split a church! Be careful with your assuming!!

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will agree that no one is to add to or TAKE AWAY from the Word of God! It is complete and will come to pass as everything has been written.

Not quite sure where you stand on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, do you believe we are baptized today with the Holy Spirit?

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Or could you word it like this...THe baptism is the Spirit(water) on you? So when it talks about the Spirit upon you, it is talking about the Baptism? And does this happen all at once in a believers life?

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no, and no.

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

Really? Can you explain your answer? What is the difference whether the Spirit is upon or you or in? you are covered by the Spirit, right? That is what

The main Greek word for "baptize" means "immerse, submerge for a religious purpose, to overwhelm, saturate"

Just as water baptism is an immersion in water, the baptism of the Holy Spirit is an "immersion" (or "saturation," as in the Greek dictionary definition above) in the living water of the Holy Spirit.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad to read this.

But here is what you said in post 47 of your thread on 1 Cor. 12-14:
    "Tongues divide." By this statement you excused the tongues speakers who have three times tried to divide my church and steal the sheep God has given me to care for. This statement tacitly says it is all right for tongues speakers to split churches, because it is not their fault but Satan's. When I directly asked you several times after that if it is all right for the tongues speakers to split churches, you refused to answer. Therefore I had every right to assume you think it is all right for tongues speakers to split churches.

You have still never come out against them stealing sheep, which I also asked you about more than once, so I'm assuming you think that is all right.

You are known by your words, but also what you do not say.