1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there A Baptism In the holy Spirit For today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

awaken, if tongues do divide, as you say, and the division is of Satan, isn't there a lesson we should take from that?

I know of more than one instance where some folks have sought to introduce tongues into their congregation. In every instance, it produced conflict and division--without exception. Only when those people were separated from the congregations did peace return.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If we agree that we have a complete word...that is half the battle:thumbs:

I believe their the whole church...Jews,samaritans,gentiles, are All baptized into one body...In Acts. Individuals we are told in eph 2...are "quickened " by the Spirit...being made alive from the dead...at regeneration.Spirit baptism is what places us in Union with Christ.
    This is spoken of in Romans 6:
    6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

This is what Spirit baptism does for all believers....Jesus died a covenant death for the elect.When he died, they died in him, we he rose, we rose in Him.
    The church as the Nt temple was Spirit baptized at pentecost. We were not born yet. The Spirit when we are born from above,makes it effectual to us....Not many Spirit baptisms...one Baptism eph4,1 cor 12:13

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Can we explore this a bit???

I am not sure this fits as it should.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have been part of a church split (not because of tongues) but because of a pastor that became a dictator instead of a pastor. Satan is the cause of most church splits, you want to blame people! Ok, well who are the people listening too? SATAN!

I can not judge why the people left in your church? You seem to have a problem with it and still have not reconciled it within yourself. So now you want to take it all out on me because you lost some of God's sheep. I am not playing that game!

I have already said I do not think any church should split! They should all be in unity!

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

ok, So you believe that the baptism and birth is all one? The purpose of the baptism is for bringing is in the body of Christ? What about Act 1:8? What purpose do you see in that scripture?

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

I believe that church splits are of satan! He does not want unity! God wants unity in the truth.

So explain to me how the sword divides?

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To live a christian life as a witness requires the power of the Spirit to worship and serve Jesus, to be able to receive the word from God, the power to mortify sin,and to do good works which were ordained for us to do.

see here ;
    The Spirit is spoken of in all the epistles...helping us learn, worship, and serve Jesus...but it does not speak of revelatory gifts in the lives of the everyday christian.

#47 Iconoclast, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is quite simple and self explanatory. If it does not fit your doctrinal paradigm I suggest you adjust your doctrinal paradigm. :)

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

So 1 Corinthians 12 is not for everyday christians?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
    29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
    30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

A list of the gifts.

Do we still have the apostles today?
    Do we still have the prophets today?

11. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Yes we do still have them.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The apostles are the authors of the NT, and the prophets, the authors of the OT. Only in that sense do we still have them. The 12 died off by the end of the first century as did all of the sign gifts.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No we do not. There are three requirements for tongues. One, that there be a person to receive the message, two, that there be an interpreter, and three, it message be edifying to the church. A thread was started to document in detail how all three of these elements were met. Not one poster could do such.

No one has been raised from the dead since the apostles. As far as healing, no doubt the Lord can and does for His purposes. He does not need a circus clown to complete the act. People who perform side shows such as Ernest Angsley make a mockery to the lost world. That goes for Mr. Hinn and Mr. Tilton also. The motive is always the gathering of money, hardly a gift of the Holy Spirit. "Come out thou evil and deaf spirit," "say baby," and thumping people on the forehead are not manifestations of the Holy Spirit. If there are levels of hell, those who use gifts or former gifts of God to inflate their bank account will have a front row seat.

14. plain_n_simple

There are numerous documented accounts of healing, miracles, and people being raised from the dead over the past year alone all over the world. It is love that drives these people.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would much appreciate seeing some of these documented, verified accounts of people being raised from the dead.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. That doesn't mean that the apostles are still alive, nor does it prove the doctrine of apostolic succession.
    2. There has never been a documented case of people being raised from the dead. They are anecdotal at best.
    3. Love drives many people, like Mother Theresa. But Mother Theresa, by her own writings, was not a saved person.
    4. We all believe that God still heals; we do not believe that the gift of healing is in existence. Read how Peter was able to heal ALL that came to him from ALL the cities round about Jerusalem, no matter how sick they were. (Acts 5:16). Not one did he turn away. The so-called faith healers of today cannot do that.
    5. Read up on the doctrines of today's faith healers:
    Benny Hinn believes in a "nine-person" trinity. Each person being composed of three other persons.
    He also believes that Christ made a deal with devil to complete the atonement.
    He also believes that "all of us are little gods running around on the earth." (a direct quote from TBN).
    Others like Hagin et.al. believe the same doctrines.

I don't believe that Hinn is even saved.

17. plain_n_simple

I do not believe an apostle would carry the title, or tell you he was such if you encountered one. I doubt you would believe a miracle no matter how much documentation presented, even if it happened in front of you. It takes love.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, Ernest Angsley and Robert Tilton are motivated by love, a love of money. I think the post mentioned that God does heal today if He chooses. It is between the Lord, the sick individual, with a local church and family praying for him or her. As mentioned above, the Lord does not need a carnival or side show to accomplish His will.

19. plain_n_simple

I am not speaking of Hinn, or Tilton or any of those, I'm talking real people that are not after fame or money, true love drives them, the love from God toward the sick. It's what Jesus did, and does through people today.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I already mentioned to you, I believe in healings.
    I do believe that God answers prayers.
    What I don't believe is the gifts of healing, or the gifts or miracles or tongues. There is a big difference.

How do you define an apostle?