1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a connection between the qumran scrolls and Jesus?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 13, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Somebody wrote this here as a review to a book similar to Dan Brown's Da Vinci code. Are there really parallels?

2. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Jesus and John the Baptist are not mentioned in the scrolls. There is no mention of the scrolls in the NT. Since the group responsible for writing them lasted until destroyed by the Romans in 68 a.d., Jesus and John the Baptist would have known about them and perhaps knew some of the members. There is no evidence that either was a member.

The fragments are written mostly in Hebrew. Some are in Aramaic, some in Greek, languages quite familiar to those living in the Middle East during that time period. :type:

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can not seek out every stray bullet on the planet as the "path to truth". At some point -- pure truth has to be of interest.

The Da Vince Code market's ITSELF as pure fiction. The reader who pays no attention to that fact and tries to treat it as a reliable history is like the one that ignore the "pure fiction" disclaimer that Michael Moore gives to his work and tries to treat it as a "historic documentary".

Why GO to the sources that SAY they are "making stuff up" as your source of truth, fact, etc?

Why go to those who CLAIM they are distorting truth as the path to truth? Doesn't that show a flawed interest "At the start"?

In Christ,

Bob

4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think people tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I am not familiar enough with the non-canon related dead sea scrolls to make any specific comments, but I will say that I would not be surprised if their was overlap between the sayings in the Sermon on the mount and the qumran writings. There is overlap between Egyptian wisdom writings and the book of Proverbs. Does it make Proverbs any less the word of God? Hardly, it only proves that the Egyptians weren't complete dunces. The same could apply to the writings at Qumran.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ Bob
    I'm not searching for this stuff, I only came across it.

I thought that the dead sea scrolls only contained stuff from the old testament. Did they also contain additional non-biblical writings?

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Yes they contained more than OT writings. They contained commentaries and apocryphal writings. The biggest part of the find is the great Isaiah scroll which has served to illustrate the accuracy of the transmission of the prophecies of Isaiah.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Did these apocryphal writings talk about Jesus and say something contrary about him than the new testament?