1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is there a conservatively charismatic Baptist Denomination?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jason-P, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jason-P

Jason-P New Member

Hello all! I was just wondering if there were any Baptist, or Baptist associated, denominations that were conservatively charismatic? Like, no falling, word of faih, etc.
    Know what I mean?

Thanks,

jason

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what they believe, but the closest thing I can think of to what you are describing would be: "Bapticostal". Do a search on google and you will get a few hits describing them.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Do you mean a Baptist Church that's not scared to death of the Holy Spirit?

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/robison/general.htm

James Robison in the Dallas area is "officially" a Southern Baptist evangelist (but sounds more like a holy-roller Pentecostalist), who claims to have a "ministry of reconciliation" (translated "unconditional acceptance and love based on feelings rather than on truth").

In 1982, he claimed to have been "exorcized" of demons, and as a result, began converting to the charismatic movement. Since then, his annual conferences have featured hyper-charismatics such as John Wimber, and he has preached in Catholic churches with David Yonggi Cho.

Robison's January 1991 conference featured tongues-speaker Jamie Buckingham (now deceased), who had defended the Trinity-rejecting United Pentecostal Church. Robison also spoke at the 1987 Catholic/Charismatic Congress in New Orleans, praising the pope and Roman Catholics.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

There not Baptist but Christian & Missionary Alliance Churches (from what I have heard) believe in gifts but don't practice them at church. So I would define them as being a conservative Charismatic Church.

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm...we're not cessationist but neither dowe publicly practise 'tongues' or believe in Finney-ite 'subsequence'. Don't know whether that makes us charismatic or not.

Yours in Christ

Matt

8. RandR

RandR New Member

Mattt,
    I think it makes you biblical.