1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there a Movement Afoot to become Charismatic

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Sorry, I disagree. When you are doing something important you ought to dress for it. Would you meet with the POTUS in the oval office wearing blue jeans, tee shirt and flip flops? Probably not, so why would you want to go before the King of Kings in such a casual manner?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When I am building a barn, I dress appropriately. I would not do that in flip-flops but instead would be wearing work boots. Is it important? Absolutely - and I will be dressed appropriately.

Who says that the way we are dressed means that our attitude is casual?

Oh and I absolutely would wear jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops to meet the President and not feel badly for it. I would wear my nice jeans, a nice t-shirt and my cute, dressy flip flops. I would wear the same to church.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nice thing about this is that this is your preference. It's not about Scripture. I'll keep worshipping God whether I'm wearing nice clothes or mowing my lawn or in a swim suit while i am scuba diving.

#23 Tom Bryant, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

When I was in school we were taught to watch our music minister's music, best to give him the music you want.
    One of the larger Reformed Baptist churches down the road has only Charismatic music or that is all I have heard their the 3 or 4 times that I've been there. I heard yes Jesus is the Son of Mary about 5 minutes in a row.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im sorry, I forgot about PA.....actually Im in NW New Jersey & I believe Salty, our brother in Syracuse NY handles that area. But Im not SBC! Anyway I think his suggested method (I think I dont know for certain) is for a church that has growth to split & start (plant) another church.....but since there are only a few SBC churches in the whole of NJ & since they are shrinking (not growing) I got the distinct feeling that SBC is ineffective in this area. Lastly, the church / Pastor I just spoke to blew them off & converted to this mess. What are ya going ta do?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK OK a president worthy of respect.....Not BO.... cause I probably wouldn't wear pants to see that guy. Boxer shorts & carpet slippers are sufficient.....& I wouldn't brush my teeth. :D:D:cool:

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine commented (actually, about an hour ago) that he is considering changing churches. It’s a Baptist church, but he sees it changing more than he is comfortable with. Has something to do with the pastor saying God told him to put oil on is fingers and put them in one of the member’s ears to open her hearing to the word of God.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say Long Island?!?

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

Meeting the POTUS would be pomp and circumstance. That would be a man made meeting and couldn't be held in comparison to meeting with the King of Kings.

I go before the Lord at different times of the day. My time with Him is always important. I'm not always dressed in my Sunday best. Wearing a suit and tie at the gym would not be very smart. I'd probably have a heat stroke. If I use your logic, I can't meet with Him anywhere but church.

When the POTUS goes out and meets the people, he often dresses down. IMO he probably wants to meet people where they are.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF, here is a SBC church being started in Clifton by a few locals and several families imported from North Carolina:

Christ Our Hope Church

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I now go to a East European Baptist Church (Russian, Ukrainian, Latvians, Lithuanians etc). These people dress in their best clothing & all I can say is WOW! :thumbs:

Sorta, kinda like this..... but I go for the food..... love the cabbage roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXW4sjcPMc

Ive even told my son (22 YO & Single) that he needs to go & check it out :smilewinkgrin: If it gets him into the church again!

#31 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 9, 2013
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think charasmatic is one of the tools used bySatan to try to get really bad theology into the church, as the word of faith, properity/healings/think and be positive etc...

This waters down into seeker churches, as we have to be positive and present "good things" to attract the lost...

maybe EWF thinking along lines of this kind of 'baptist" church...

The Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church
    "The doctrine is a mixture of Baptist (specifically, Free Will Baptist) and Pentecostal beliefs. Sanctification as a second work of grace, Baptism of the Holy Ghost as evidenced by speaking in tongues, and the supernatural move of the Holy Spirit are important aspects of the Pentecostal Free Will Baptist denomination. A General Meeting is held biannually. Headquarters are in Dunn, North Carolina, where Heritage Bible College was started in 1971"

Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id tell that pastor to eh, "Stick It":smilewinkgrin:

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you notice their hands in the air.......besides thats over 1 hour away (without traffic), close to NYC & Im not SBC. Im looking for a local community church & I like this Russian Baptist Church....its w/i walking distance, these people are pure & the foods outa this world. Thanks though!

#34 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 9, 2013
  15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean like his disciples wearing robes and sandals? Don't you come before the King daily?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sandals!?! Wouldnt be an IFB church I'm thinking.:tongue3:

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

Oh, heavens, NO!! Sandals??? They'd run him/her outta town on a rail. Or at least out the back door of the church. :thumbsup:

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a Movement Afoot to become Charismatic?

Not a my foot. But I'm not very ticklish there anyway, so I may not know for sure.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting back to a serious question - IMHO - alot lot of what we see now is simply emotions - that we only see in the church service - once outside the doors you would have no ideal that they are even a Christian. - sad - so sad.

ON Sep 29 I will be preaching a message on this important topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.