1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there a Movement Afoot to become Charismatic

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't .....Westboro is an oddity & everyone knows it....in fact they are freakish & stuff happens in this world.

Rather than changing my name I would work to have people know that there are True Baptists that honor God & do good in the community & teach the gospel correctly. Changing your name expressly because a bunch of anti social morons use some iteration of it in their names is just silly (in my view)

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our focus should be contending for the faith, not spending time on trying to get people to understand what it means to be part of a specific denomination. Our church split from a church that had baptist in the name that had some real problems. Instead of trying to educate people on what the name does or doesn't mean, we changed it to reflect our location. All true baptist churches are part of the church first and foremost. Leaving baptist off or including it is semantics. I prefer shorter names myself. My last church had 5 words. Most people in and outside the church now call it FBCSC...essentially removing the word baptist anyway.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "Contend for the Faith?"

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because you need to change your name and someone already has the one you want?

We started another campus and couldn't use the (town) Baptist Church since we were in another town. So we were going to use Island Baptist Church because we were hoping to have multiple campuses on Long Island. But there is already a "Long Island Baptist Church" so we couldn't use that. Instead, we chose "Island Chrisitan Church" because that's what we are. A Christian church. So that might be one reason to change a name.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK what kinda Christian......RC, Mormon, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran.... Id ask for specifics if you approached me using that name. The Great Commission says:

Matthew 28:19-20

King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I often point to that when discussing my faith with someone..... notice the action word BAPTIZE!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dealing what is taught on the inside, not the name on the outside.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

I don't think Jude was talking about denominational doctrine when he said, "Contend earnestly for the faith."

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You could easily look at our "About Us" page on our website to see what we believe. If you entered our doors, we'd explain that we are a church that follows the Bible in the Baptist tradition.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No... he was talking about defending the faith.....but hou can you defend the faith when you havent even named it?

Baptism.....what is it & why are we so fearful of proclaiming it? Does it save, no it doesnt....but what does it entail & what are the steps leading to it? That has to be addressed to the person & indeed that is difficult to explain....so why explain it--at least up front? Why introduce complication to some ex-Roman Catholic who will get confused by the whole "Regeneration Thing"......therefore lets eliminate that as an obstacle to conversion. We will just slide this one in at another time.....LOL

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many church denominations believe in believer's baptism - but don't have baptist in the name. I don't look to a name to know a church's beliefs because I've been in Baptist churches that I definitely don't agree with (KJVO, women pastors, weak theology) and in other churches that I do. Heck, we were members of a PCUSA church where my husband was an elder and other than the fact that they baptized infants (although not for salvation - you had a choice of baptizing or dedicating - same thing), they were theologically very sound. But I'd not set foot into most PCUSA churches. I know of many churches that don't have any denom in the name and yet they are fantastic churches that I'd be thrilled to be a part of. :) So I don't see that the name is the way to choose a church as much as seeing their statement of beliefs and practices.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will give you an example Ann. A year ago or more I go visit church in a neighboring town because they said they were Baptist. I found (and this is only my perception) a very lax group of people & not very solid in theology. Salty, in his description of Charismatics in an earlier post described them to a tee. I walked outa there & my mind said, "Im not coming back here" cross this off the list.

Well 2 weeks ago, in one of the local papers, I see this add for a Bible Church & I thought, funny I know all the churches in my area, how did I miss this group.....so I go on line & the description really tries hard NOT to give up much information. What I walk away from is that they believe in God, Jesus is their savior & we meet on Sundays at 11 AM. Fine, so I get the hint....either I go there or I call the pastor. So I do the later.....come to find out that they were a Baptist Church (I believe affiliated with SBC) & they (actually the Pastor said he made the decision) to change the name to a generic "Bible Church" & move to a Charismatic format. His big selling device was his praise band, kickin & awesome....I heard a 15 minute sales pitch about that. I then recognized him from my past & politely terminated the conversation. He didnt make the sale....but had he disclosed this stuff upfront I would have made the decision meself (which is what he didnt want me to do). What he wanted was the opportunity for a sales pitch. Frankly he wasted my time & his.

#72 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Or if they even have one (statement) .....just we have a kickin praise band! LOL

Look I start off with Im a Christian which generally leads to the question, "What Kind" so I tell them Baptist.....which in NJ generally leads to the comment, "Ohhh, hmmmm Baptist.....wait, not one of kind you see in the south.....jeeze, their peculiar. LOL!

Then I generally respond with something like..... LAUGH...then, naaa Im not a nut....but you are aware that the State of RI was settled by "NORTHERN" Baptists from England....ya know, Roger Williams, right....& I (we)dont bite. That gets them ta laughing

Like anything else, ya gotta make friends first & break the ice.....now they can go home & tell the family they met a genuine "Baptist" & he aint southern & he aint a nut....actually quite friendly.

I mean, I dont know how you slip it in later but Id prefer to tell ya the price & then cost justify it (with value) than hide it till the end & risk po'ing the guy so he blows me off.....but thats your call. Mine is upfront.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not either.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet regardless what is inside is Baptist. Removing Baptist from the name in order to hide who you are from possible visitors is dishonest.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, the Baptist - or Bible or whatever label doesn't mean much today anymore. You need to call and ask or look at their website. Had you called us, my husband would have explained our church to you and also given you the other churches in the area he recommends as Bible teaching churches. You see, he knows the others because the pastors get together monthly for encouragement, teaching and prayer so he knows that Jim over at that church is Biblically solid and his church is a little more traditional or Scott is Biblically solid as well but he's a bit more contemporary. You'd have gotten off the phone not only knowing about us but probably 5 other churches for you to check out. :)

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well.....Ive been in sales since I was 16 yrs old & I know that perception is important....so in Roman Catholic New Jersey, if you said Southern Baptist, youd be like a snow ball trying to survive in Miami. But it could work the other way......frankly I dont want to talk to a Pastor, Id rather find out information thru the Internet, through friends & MY connections. Kinda like going to look for a car.....yea I must speak to that pest of a salesguy hovering over me....but not till Ive got my ducks in a row.

If Im serious about my salvation, Ive already decerned that Baptists are not spawns of the devil....in fact the Bible only shows believers baptism to be the real deal. So now, guess what.....Im ripping through the Google search hunting out Baptist Churches (1st & foremost)..... not those kooky Presbyterians & forget those Episcopals fruits. LOL

Look I know your convinced but this is exactly what I did....I wasnt even considering anything else. Now If I was really interested, yea Id call....or if I was curious, then I might call......but if I went on line & typed in Baptist & got a clear statement of faith, a sampling of a sermon, some other directives that were open & forthcoming, then I would be much more inclined to proceed further.

Here is a hint though, in calendars, if you display them, have some activities other than church at 11AM & Bible Study on Wed @ 730 PM. Your broadcasting that you dont have much going on besides those two activities.....big turnoff!

18. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True Baptists Not A Denomination

There are dozens of different churches called Baptist, most of them tooting different lofars.

The ones who drop Baptist from their name--are they not being honest? Perhaps they realize they are not truly baptistic in practice.

How about: Bible Baptist: Sovereign Grace, Unreformed, Landmark, Missionary?

These words speak volumes to those who know what they mean.

Many have not a clue.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give this man the big pink polka dot stuffed elephant .....for he knocked down all 3 lead bottles with one shot.

The prize is yours!

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then study up....that is what Google is for:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.