1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a........

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.......so-called "disunity" between God the Father and God the Son?????

in the thread about "Friendliness," the question(s) about a supposed "disunity" between God the Father and God the Son has come up.

Since I didn't want to disrail that thread ("Friendliness"), I'm starting this one.

As I mentioned in the thread on "Friendliness," IMHO, it seems as though that there are some people (and I'm NOT questioning their salvation in the least!!) use such semantically-laden espressions such as, "the FULL Commandments of God" etc., to, at least IMHO, cast doubt upon those here in BB land who do not firmly believe in, for lack of a better expression, do not believe that "Sabbath-keeping," etc. is a vital element of NT "faith and/or practice.

Well, IS IT???

As I mentioned in the "Friendliness" thread, I (who by any stretch of anyone's imagination) am NOT a "Bible expert"!!!

I haven't spent even a micro-second in any seminary here on "God's green earth"!!!

However, thanks to what by now total 7 completely pastors/elders/whatever different in each of their so-called "style(s)" and/or "emphasis(-es)," I have (by God's grace) over my 46+ years of having received Jesus Christ as my own personal Savior, picked up a couple of things things re: hermaneutics and/or semantics.

I don't know about you, but when I read of such heavily-laden expressions such as "the FULL 10 COMMANDMENTS," etc., some how there sounds off some "alarm bells."

So, my dear BB friends, what are y'all's opinion(s) and/or how do y'all "feel" about about such expressions as this/theese??

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Here's my take:

1. I don't know what NCT churches are, so I can't comment on that.

2. IF you take all of the OT Sabbath requirements and apply them to NT believers, You would be hard pressed to find anyone who keeps it! If you hold that it is still in force, but altered somehow, then you are left with a very difficult task of determining when someone is keeping it or not.

3. In actuality, NO ONE KEEPS ANY OF THE COMMANDMENTS! Especially 1, 9, & 10, and also 5 & 6 if you take Jesus' comments on lust and hatred. So in reality churches don't keep 9 commandments...they keep zero. Now if you are looking for a church that ATTEMPTS to keep all 10 commandments, that is something different.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

As to the root issue, I believe that a biblical NT Definition of Sabbath is difficult to find...but that those who do not take a day of rest to re-center on christ will find themselves missing out on some of the blessings God intended for his children by giving them a day of rest.

However, the application of this seems to be fairly open to interpretation...
    -Is doing dishes for your wife equal to pulling a cow out of a ditch? What about mowing your yard? What about a doctor performing surgury to save a life?

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Let's examine some of the things that my friend 12strings (and I DO consider you, 12strings to be one of my BB friends! [W/BTW "no strings attached!!" :thumbs:]) posted.

1) IS "a biblical NT definition of Sabbath difficult to find"? (Just asking.)

2) IS "doing dishes for your wife equal to pulling a cow out of a ditch"?
    Personally, I can not answer that question for at least 2 reasons: a) I don't have a wife, and FWIW, I've NEVER had a wife; b) I have never had a cow (i.e., a bovine animal --- Sorry, Homer Simpson :laugh: )

3) "What about a doctor performing 'surguery (sic., sp[??])' to save a life?"

Here again, I am not, nor probably never will become a doctor and/or a surgeon(!), thus I cannot speak from experience regarding either 2) and/or 3) above.

So, again, as I asked my BB friends on my OP, IS THERE A SO-CALLED "disunity" BETWEEN GOD the Father AND GOD the Son????

It is requested that one supply us with VERY SPECIFIC BIBLE REFERENCES (i.e.,Book, Chapter and Verse) to defend whatever your position(s) may be regarding the question I've asked in my OP. :thumbs:

#4 ktn4eg, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

OP answer: NO

Specific Verse: "I and the Father are one."

How EWF's comment about Disunity between the Father and son is related to the Sabbath: I have no Idea. It would have made more sense if he was saying that some who do not keep the sabbath see more discontinuity between the Old and new testaments.