1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there no trace?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael D. Edwards, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

Hello friends:

As I've delved into the study of church/baptist history, I am FLOORED at the variety all based on one book!!! (the Bible).

It seems everyone is hung up on the reformation times or "reformation theology," etc..

It would logically come to my mind, that from the time of the apostles, that there would be a trace of people who, in deed, continued steadfastly in their doctrine!? It would seem then, that the theology of the aposltes may not so easily be found in reformation doctrine, since they came OUT of the Catholic church? Is there no group who never even became a part of the Catholic church with documentation and confessinos and or creeds??

Diligently seeking God's wisdom
    Michael

2. Bro. John Willis

Bro. John Willis New Member

Yes Micheal;
    They are the Baptists!
    Your brother
    John

3. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bro. John Willis:
    Yes Micheal;
    They are the Baptists!
    Your brother
    John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, show me?! I'd love to see how that works out, since everthing I've found online so far points to the Baptists having come out of reformation groups. Although, logically, it would seem that if John the Baptist was called a "Baptist," that others followed in that tradition?

Michael

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Brother, if everything you've found online points to Baptists coming from the reformation, you have missed a lot of possibilities. Check out some of the links in the 11th post on Views of Baptist Origins. Some will give a different viewpoint than perhaps you've seen in other places.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

5. Mikewebb81

Mikewebb81 Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bro. John Willis:
    Yes Micheal;
    They are the Baptists!
    Your brother
    John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greetings. I cam across this question. The churches of Christ and the Restoration Movement also reject creeds, confessions and Catholicism. Some of our leaders, namely Alexander Campbell, were oncle alligned with the Baptists but split over issues of baptism and musical instruments. We do have a partial shared heritage with the Baptists

Mike

6. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Mikewebb81!

I can see that you have an interest in the forum but I am sorry to say I have the duty of informing you that this forum is a Baptist only area of this board so you will need to refrain from posting here. This is a gentlemanly forum and we are glad to find another person who shares our enthusiasm over Baptist history. If you wish to contribute, I would be very happy to receive e-mails from you and post your questions or comments here but for the time, our policy stands on Baptist only in this forum. Thanks.

Clint Kritzer

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Robert and Clint and I already covered this topic and agree that the only way to trace the true church is by sound doctrine. The determination is what is the sound doctrinal teaching according to scriptures. The tracing of that sound doctrine belonged to many factions of Gods people that went by many different names not always Baptist for 2,000 years.

Baptism by immersion was one of the modes that identified the true church. John The Baptist the forerunner that baptised our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was its first mortal preacher... I believe Christ was also a preacher of righteousness!

The lineage is not one that can be traced by a certain people but by a certain doctrine. It cannot be the baptism of infants either as there is no record of infants ever being baptised. What infant has ever given a reason of the hope in Christ and desire to follow him in baptism? This is not sound doctrine and false doctrine cannot coexist with sound doctrine... God is not the author of confusion.

Find what the sound doctrine of the early church was and trace that sound doctrine 2,000 years until now and you will find the church that embraces that sound doctrine. You will also find that faith that once was delivered to the saints... IMHO... That's the only way it can be done... Brother Glen [​IMG]