1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there really a difference?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 28, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Is there a difference between honoring and obeying your parents?

What is the difference?

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Yes. To honor (Gk timaoµ) literally means "to fix the value, to price", i.e., to value as of great worth. To obey (Gk peitharcheoµ) means "to obey authority" as is due God (Acts 5:29).

So while obeying one's parents is one way of honoring them, to obey when they cause us to disobey God, is not required, and is in fact dishonoring God. Honor is due parents in all things (like taking care of them when they are feeble) but obedience must be foremost to God.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    Is there a difference between honoring and obeying your parents?

What is the difference?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Saggywoman, the difference is as real as breathing. I'm sure you understand that the bible says it better to obey than sacrifice. That much is a given, but I honestly feel, obedience alone is not honoring, at least completely.

{i.e.}

When I was called to preach, my first instinct was to run. I have always been down the totem pole in my family, being the 4th of 5 sons. My thinking was a lot like folks I now pastor, "...let someone else do it, aren't they more equipped..." Well, time went by, 9 years to be exact, and the Lord finally got through my thick head about this and with tears I've never known before, I surrendered to the ministry. At that moment, I was just being obedient. Each time I preach, I feel like I am honoring His call on my life.

That same scene is true for our earthly parents. When I did what they said, I was merely being obedient. Only when I carried out their wishes, was I truly honoring.

Just my opinion. And yep, I aint much on opinions, but sometimes that practical experience comes to teach us the difference. :cool:

4. CTTYaz

CTTYaz New Member

The bible was translated from hebrew and even the meanings of some words mean different when translated. To fully understand the bible I would learn hebrew. :rolleyes: That is if you want to be super positive on every meaning of every word in the bible.

5. The NT was translated from Greek and a small amount of the OT from Aramaic so add those languages to your list to "fully understand the Bible".
    I really think you don't have to learn the original languages to understand the Bible. If you have trouble understanding your Bible you probably should just pray about it not learn a new language.