1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there salvation outside of Christ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by riverm, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Romans 2:14 provides us basis of condemnation for those who never hear the gospel

14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,

The key phrase is "..are a law to themselves."

I take this to mean that each individual has an instinctive sense of right and wrong--their own moral code, if you will. Their problem is that they can't even keep perfectly their own law, and that will condemn them. Now consider James 2:10

"For whoseover shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all."

That is the basis of condemnation for those who have heard the law and the gospel preached. Every person has broken the Law, whether it is the Law of the Scriptures or the pagan's own law.

We all are also condemned if we reject the light that we have. The pagan has rejected the light of creation, thus is without excuse. Others have rejected the Light (Jesus Christ). Both groups will give account at their judgment and will be forced to acknowledge that God is just in his judgement.

Further, if by some stretch of the imagination the pagans will be saved without hearing the gospel, then for heaven's sake, please let's not send missionaries to them, for they might reject the gospel and be lost.

Still further, whether you are a Calvinist or a non-Calvinist (or Arminian), both views agree that the number who will be saved is fixed. Calvinists hold that God has elected some and will send the gospel to them so they may hear it, repent of sin, and trust in Christ's finished work. Arminians hold that God knows who will hear the gospel and accept it, and elects them on that basis. Either way, no others will be saved, only the elect. All others will be condemned, including the pagan who sinned against his own law, and the others who sinned against the Law of the Scriptures.

Tom Butler

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Showing the "LAW written on the tables of the human heart" is the promise of Heb 8 "New Covnenant" and is the work of the "Holy Spirit on the Human heart" as Paul states in Romans 2 for those who do not have scripture at all.

Paul's argument to the Jews is that THESE are GETTING IN - EVEN though they do not even HAVE access to scripture -- and there is no "partial favoritism" being played "in favor of Jews" because they HAVE scripture and are "Special" while Gentiles are remain outside, without scripture, unninformed and cursed.

The shocking news is that THOSE are being transformed by the Spirit under the New Covenant such that they "SHOW the LAW of GOD on the heart".

Something that only happens via the New Covenant work of the Holy Spirit according to Heb 8.

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The basics of the ONE Gospel message that goes into all the World via nature.

Now the part everyone knows --

The full text quoted in vs 18 above is as follows
    Clearly Paul is appealing (again) to nature's voice in declaring the truth of God - so that "they (the people - Jew and gentile) did hear" - fulfilling the
    condition –

And using that Ps 19 context – Paul then continues…

and this - is in perfect agreement with the opening context of the book of Romans - chapter 1.
    Clearly - they are without excuse because God did manifest himself as described in the text and still they refused the God that "draws all men unto him".
    So although Paul points to the witness of God's creation in Ps 19 as proving that
    Israel is "without excuse" and did have the opportunity to "believe" - he also points to the motive of jealousy as God's witness to non-Hebrew people results in salvation.

Again – Paul emphasis the Gospel message of Isaiah (the Gospel prophet) confirming Paul’s statement that the Gospel message was given and that men rejected it then as they do today.

Indeed - God's chosen race, royal priesthood, holy nation - seemed to be rebelling against the God that called them, that chose them - in spite of the witness we see proclaimed in the OT and in Psalms 19 regarding creation itself.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not lying. Telling the truth because no matter how much the "person knows" Christ "still exists" and still works. He is not dependant on the "person knowing".

It is no lie. "Every man" -- everyone of mankind is reached by Him for "He IS the light that ocming into the world enlightens EVERY man"

In Christ,

Bob

5. Avshalom

Avshalom New Member

Thank you all for the very interesting posts. This a tough question indeed and personally I am not really convinced by either position.

I am still pondering on how the OT Jews could be saved if indeed "he who offends in one point is guilty of all". None of theme were perfect anyway. I think therefore that even before Christ salvation was by grace and not really by works. It is hard for me to accept that God radicaly changed in the way he deals with mankind.

I must admit here that there are many, too many things I do not understand yet. It seems this is not the case with everybody on this forum. Quite a few have the impression they figured out everything already and show a "holy indignation" if you dare contradict them.

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. ... For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Amen
    [​IMG]

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

OT saints were saved by grace through faith, just as we are today. They did not have the full revelation of Christ but did have revelation of God and the promise of a Messiah.

Those who have not heard of Christ have the evidence of God in nature and in their conscience (Rom 1 and 2) but they cannot be saved this way. This evidence is what condemns them, not what saves them, because no one can meet God's standards of righteousness outside of Christ. Rom. 1 and 2 tells us that even with this evidence, men turn away from truth.

No one can be saved outside Christ today. As for those who may believe there is a true God but have not heard the gospel, I have no doubt God can send them the gospel as He did with the Ethiopian.

More and more today, Christians are softening the words of God that those outside Christ are under God's wrath (John 3:35-36). Justice would be for all of us to go to hell; grace is that Christ came and paid the penalty for sins, thus saving many.

No one who worships a false god (as the person who worships Tash does) can be saved; God condemns utterly and absolutely the worship of false gods.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You equate "not heard of Christ" with "outside of Christ". I don't think the "physical hearing of the person" is what makes the difference.

As Romans 10 says "surely they have never HEARD have they?" and then points to the witness of nature - whereas Gal 3 and 1 Peter 1 point to the witness of the OT saints and prophets.

How much you know is not the point - the point is whether you respond to the Holy Spirit that "Convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment".

The piont is not how MUCH light you have - but whether or not you respond TO the light "that coming into the world enlightens EVERYONE of mankind" John 1.

Naman comes to Elisha after his conversion and asks for forgiveness for the fact that when he returns home to the king of Syria he will be with the King as the King is worshipping before a false god - but in his heart will still remain loyal to the true God of the Bible.

To him that "knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin"

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed.

In Gal 1:6-9 Paul claims that in all of time there has only been "ONE Gospel" and those that try to preach "another Gospel" do not really have one - and never did.

In Heb 4:1-3 we find of the OT saints "The Gospel was preached to US JUST as it was to THEM"

One Gospel - one way of salvation - in all ages!

He didn't.

"More heat than light" - eh?

That is the nature of a board of this type. (You should have seen the Calvinist-Arminia section that they closed down a few months ago).

But the good news is that you can also find good information in this format as well.

Some of my fellow Bible students on this board who have joined with me in exposing numerous errors in the traditions of men -- will 'one some subject" eventually differ with my views - on something. That is no problem at all for me.

I do not come here supposing that even the closest of them will see everything "exactly" as I do on all topics. And it does not bother me in the least that this is the case.

In the end we must each read the texts - practice exegesis rather than eisegesis - and then choose the view that fits all the texts "best" leaving you with the least "problem texts" for the other side to hold up in objection to your views.

In Christ,

Bob