1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there such a thing as moderate drug addiction?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 3, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

One, I didn't say a caffeine addiction is impossible. I said that a caffeine addiction is not as harmful as addiction to other drugs.

Two, I reject any link to Wikipedia. Information on that site has been proven to be at least 60% inaccurate, so even though the information on that link appears to be more or less accurate, I don't accept anything they claim.
    With that, I agree with you. Makes me cringe when I hear someone say "I've got a Pringle's addiction," for example, not because I don't find it humorous but because, as I deal with real people with real addictions, I know the joke isn't really all that funny.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You did say that caffiene addiction is possible. I apologize if I misrepresented you. So, do you agree or disagree that 12 ounces per day of typical coffee is enough to develop a dependency?

Wikipedia is certainly not authoritative but I don't believe it is anywhere near 60% inaccurate. One study I saw showed that the rate of errors on wiki were only slightly worse than Encyclopedia Britannica. At anyrate, one of the best features of wiki is the source links, so if you don't trust wiki, simply follow the links to the sources of the information. Wikipedia is simple a great starting point.

That's my whole point. Addictions are more than simply a lack of self control. I love dark dark Reese's cups but I don't have any sort of addiction. There are times they sound really great but there are no withdrawal symptoms if I don't eat them .

Anyway, back to the main topic, it is very possible to truly be addicted to something such as coffee, or caffeine more specifically while only consuming an amount considered moderate by societal norms.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press_releases/2004/09_29_04.html

If you don't trust wiki, check out Johns Hopkins.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

No. I don't agree that a dependency on caffeine develops until you simply can't go for more than a little while -- perhaps and hour -- without a "coffee fix." I know people who drink coffee all day, but they don't have to do so to get through a day, and often don't.
    The last part of your comment here is good analysis. However, as to the 60% claim I made, I would direct your attention here.
    And like I said, you can sin/have an addiction with anything. And Johns Hopkins is more than acceptable. :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Lots of local churches have addicts. The first type is the gossip. It is impossible for them to keep their mouth shut and stay out of other people's business. The second type is the 300 pound pigs that slither out each pot luck Sunday and go back for a plate full of three helpings.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Saturn, those are not real addictions. We use the word figuratively but things like gossip, though wrong, are not addictions.