1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a BaptistBoard Record?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by DanielFive, Jun 15, 2003.

1. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

I met fellow BB member SuWei today, she, along with her husband Dan and kids Asher and Abigail came to Church with me this morning. We enjoyed a great day of fellowship together having lunch at a friends home.

The question is - could this be a record for the distance travelled to meet another BB member, SuWei and Dan live in Singapore, I am from Ireland. Don't ask me how many miles apart we are but I know they had a thirteen hour flight to get to England.

Anyone know of any other long distance meetings between Board members?

Enda

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sue and Syd Swann came to my house last month. They're from Delaware and I'm in Georgia. That's just under 1,000 miles. It sounds like YOU have the record tho!

I had two friends from India come and stay but they're not Baptist Board members.

Diane

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

enda that is so great! All my ancestors, I have traced back came from Ireland. I would love to come over there. I am so glad SuWei and Family got to come. I think, weren't they going through Scotland too?

I haven't heard of this happening before internationally. But I am sure Dr. Bob, or Barnabas would know better.

Well wait a minute...Didn't Helen and Barry meet someone in Australia. I bet you could ask them.

But I think Pastor Bob; I Am Blessed 16's Son, went across the midwest to New York and met with Barnabas and the Webmaster.

Well that is all I can remember. But if I win Publishing Clearinghouse contest...I will be coming over too. I want to meet Gwyneth in Wales, Followinhim in England, you in Ireland, and Jon Magee in Scotland! Oh and can't forget my crazy friend Pete in Australia.

Sherrie [​IMG]

4. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Can't wait Sherrie! [​IMG] Thanks for the info.

You are right, SuWei and family are heading off on the ferry to Scotland tomorrow morning.

Nice to know you have traced your roots back to the Emerald Isle, if you ever need any info let me know. [​IMG]

God Bless

Enda

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Enda, that's great. Where are you in Ireland? My patrnal grandfather came from Ireland apparently.

Blessings

Sheila [​IMG]

6. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Hi Shiela,

I live in Co.Antrim, about 45 miles north of Belfast, just on the edge of The Glens of Antrim.

God Bless

Enda

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Know any people last named "Mudge" or "Hearne"?

Sherrie

8. Pete

Pete New Member

I haven't met any BBites "IRL" (In Real Life) yet...Come to think of it most of them probably hope I never do... ;)

I am up to mid-30s of people met IRL from IRC. I went to US back in 2000 and caught up with a bunch there. I think that trip to U.S. would be a hard record to beat, from my front door to my friends front door was about 27hrs by the clock, or 46 in real time...*ouch*

There are people I want to catch just about everywhere on the planet. Brazil, Canada, Holland, truckloads still in U.S. I have not met, and even a few I still haven't caught in Australia either [​IMG]

This planet is just too stinking big sometimes :( [​IMG]

Sherrie, better practice walking on your head to be ready in case you do get Down Under ;)

Pete

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Pete! I've met many people IRL from the internet and have not yet been disappointed. In fact, one of the Home School moms off BB.com lives not far from me and we've talked about meeting at the playground one day.

I'd love to meet so many! Lots of the members live near me. I'd have no qualms about calling Julia, Bro. Ricky or Gib, Charlesga, etc. and meeting them and their families for Sweet Tea and hot dogs and I hope they'd feel the same.

I've had Pastor Marvin and Edna Duncan come and spend their vacation with us. Mary Ann Alexander from India came and spent Thanksgiving through the week before Christmas two years ago. Dr. Rohit (Sunny) Josis from India came right Mary Ann left! Sue and Syd Swann (and their 3 kids) from Delaware came to visit us last month (BB members).

I think all the Georgia folk should chose a meeting place and get together! We could put aside politics, Bible Versions and C/A discussions... but then most of us agree! LOL

Diane

Enda: McWatters? Conway? Weldy?

10. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Sherrie,

I have never come across the name Mudge before but I'll see if I can find out where it aomes from.

Hearne would be the same as O'Hearne so maybe you are related to the Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahearne (O'Hearne), [​IMG] that would be something worth checking out, wouldn't it? [​IMG]

God Bless

Enda

[ June 16, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: enda ]

11. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes hearne does. lets see middle 1800's it was George O'Hearne, and then Fredrick Hearne.

Sherrie

12. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Sherrie,

Here's a link you might like to check out some time. Origin of O'Hearn's

Diane, I'll get back to you soon, I think I need to get down to the library. [​IMG]

God Bless

Enda

13. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Thanks I have copied all 35 pages to read! ;)

Sherrie

[ June 16, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Sherrie ]

14. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

I came from MI down to Ohio to meet Gina [​IMG] :D :cool:

15. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

Don't forget the B.B. get together in Missouri that I'm sure a lot of people will attend. (or did it already happen?) I'm sorry to say that it's farther than my budget will allow I'm afriad....just like Sherrie, I need to win the Publishers Clearing House before I would be able to meet any of my out of state or country friends from the B.B.

So happy that that Su Wei, made that kind of effort to come all that way just to meet you? I am in awe of anyone being able and willing to do that. How nice for you all.

Oh the limits that a lack of money creates. If I were rich, I wouldn't think anything of globe trotting either. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for meeting you all in Heaven. My pocketbook can afford that trip. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Charlotte,

[​IMG] somehow, I don't think I was the only reason they made the trip. It was great to meet Su and her family, they are visiting a few different people on this trip including a relative in Belgium.

Su worked very hard to make the trip as affordable as possible. I think flights out of Singapore are quite cheap at the moment, probably due to the SARS virus. They were also able to arrange free accomodation for most of the stay, this also helped to keep the cost down enormously.

Su and Dan are just your average family, I don't think they would want to give the impression that they have money to throw around.

They have two lovely children, I hope Su is able to post picture's of Asher(3) and Abigail(1) sometime.

I'll see you all in Heaven too, unless I can learn to stop spending and start saving. [​IMG]

Enda

17. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

That is a record, no doubt about it!