1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this an accurate view of legalism?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Of course we can refuse to follow abusive leaders. There is a way for a church to address those in leadership who abuse their authority -- if not, then that is one the characteristics of a cult. The Bible does not sanction abusive leaders.

You have judged me as taking a rebellious position. I suppose that to someone who believes the way you do, anyone who disagrees is rebellious. Disagreeing with you does not constitute rebellion.

I do not disagree with scripturally supported forms of leadership at all. I am submissive to my pastors. But you have not backed up your position Biblically. You just assert it and then tell me I am rebellious because I disagree and do not see your Biblical support.

I read your posts, and the Biblical references, but they do not back up some of the things you have said.

2. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Marcia, I do not believe you are rebellious because you don't follow where _I_ am led. If you had, in fact, read the aforementioned posts, you would see that I believe you are accountable to your immediate authorities, not to me or any Christian outside of your church. If your church's stance on music, theater, whatever, is different than my church's, then fine! Blessed are you if you are faithful therein. You are not to listen to the rantings of someone on the Internet as Gospel, and rest assured I do not care for you as much as your church leadership does.

You are absolutely right in that "the Bible does not sanction abusive leaders," any more than it would have sanctioned any abuse in any other area of life. But regardless of the leadership, be it good or bad, we are to follow them as they teach and preach IF WHAT THEY SAY DOES NOT CONTRADICT SCRIPTURE. For we are not talking about things that scripture speaks of, but rather those areas of life that we need guidance in.

Do you consider me telling my [future] children that they must go to bed by 9:30PM is abuse of power? Hopefully not! That particular rule is not in scripture, yet we know that I would set thus and such a bedtime for their own good. And it is concordant with scripture that they obey me, for children ought to obey their parents (Eph 6:1). If they disobey, then are the rebels, and in need of correction. Nevermind that the neighbors' kids don't go to bed until 10:30, nevermind that there is something good on TV, nevermind that Dad and Mom aren't going to bed then--the children ought to obey.

Is it any less that a pastor, who like Paul the Apostle, would give instruction for the good of their flock? That the Word of God authorizes such a position to have true leadership is shown clearly in just the three verses I continue to mention. Right or wrong in our eyes, they set such rules for our good, and they ought to be obeyed. That includes standards for dress, music, entertainment, etc.

I will summarize my position in as simple a manner as possible: 1) God placed men in the church as our spiritual leaders and authorities that are to be followed (Phl 3:16&17), 2) They are accountable that they lead in truth, and not as lazy servants (Heb 13:17), 3) That does not put God's stamp of approval on _anything_ the pastor or church leaders do and 4) That does not in ANY way authorize another Christian to usurp authority over you, as some on this Board would do, for they have not, as your church leaders, prayed for your souls and "begotten you through the gospel" (I Cor 4:14-17).

Def'n: Legalism--adding works to Grace and Salvation, as one who would put you under the bondage of the law.

-Pluvivs