1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IS THIS FOR REAL....OR A JOKE ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 26, 2005.

1. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I saw it too. It has to be a joke.

2. NateT

NateT Member

landover baptist is a satire site

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Let me save you an apoplexy at viewing the main page and tell you that, yes, it is not for real.

4. Well how can they allow this to be on the web ? Some people might just beleive this. After what we have been through in a few IFBC I was beggining to wonder if this was an extreme one.

[ August 26, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Who's supposed to disallow it? It's not illegal.

6. its a lie isn't it ?

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

RightFromWrong
    Another reason why we must stand firm to the Bible. Could people read this and think "these Baptist have gone off the deep end" if we mix in any error we can start to slowly look just like what is depicted on that website. But if we stay firm even those non christians will know it can not be true.

8. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Sorry, freedom of speech. They believe Christianity to be false and Fundamentalists to be laughable; they write the website in accordance with this. It doesn't count as libel because it is directed against an undefined group of people, not directly at one person. In addition, not all can be called falsehood, because some of the content is hyperbolic. Hyperbole is not considered libel.

9. Can someone tell what that mean little face is by the date of the original post is ?

And what do all the other ones before each post

10. Petrel

Petrel New Member

When you started the thread you picked the mean face from the Message Icon list to show how annoyed you were. It shows up above every new post on the Full Reply Page. The default is the card with the pushpin in it.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Oh my! they have a newsletter! *sigh*

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I did think the Wiccan hunting permit was a bit amusing. :eek:

13. Well I don't remember picking any icon. well now I know. it sure fits though. maybe the mods did it

14. greek geek

greek geek New Member

landover is satire that may go a bit to far sometimes (in my opinion). yet satire is a great and creative tool for making people think. in this case making people rethink what they call "christianity." even Christ used satire and sarcasm...

a place for good christian satire is the wittenburg door: http://www.wittenburgdoor.com

15. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Some years ago, I liked the Landover site. But in recent years it has become so vile, revolting, and slanderous that I just can't stomach it. They put horrible words into God's mouth and use misunderstood scripture passages to ridicule and contemn him.

The occasional good joke just doesn't justify wading through Hell's sewage dump.

16. I agree, for those who are not christians who stumble on this site and they know Christians who are ridged they might just believe it.

After what our family went through with legalism I thought it was true. I mean I've seen some pretty wacky stuff in some churches. I can see were they got the idea from.

Probably someone who grew up in a very unhappy legalistic Baptist home, who decided to get back at the church.

17. kubel

kubel New Member

They are guaranteed freedom of speech under the very same amendment that we excersize freedom of religion. However, they aren't hosting with Uncle Sam. ;)

http://www.nwtools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=landoverbaptist.org

http://www.valueweb.com/policies.htm

If [email protected] gets enough complains from the public, and if valueweb.com cares what a lot of people think, they will stop hosting the site regardless of free speech. On the other hand, many hosts take a free speech stand, and will not take anything down unless it violates state or federal law.