1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this from the Bible/ true or false story

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Rooster, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I remember seeing on a television show (which I can not remember the name of) a story, and I want to say it was about Moses, but not sure, it went something like this...
    when XXXX was a boy , his dad owned a shop, and sold false idols, one day XXXX's dad left town on a bussness venture, and left XXXX in charge, he smashed all the false idols, and the next day when XXXX's father returned he asked XXXX what had happened to all the gods, XXXX told him that the bigest idol was angry, and smashed all the other idols, XXXX's father got furious and said that was impossible becuase they are only statues, and not real, XXXX said that is why I had to smash them.

I know I am not telling the story correctly, but it is as close as I can remember it, I saw it on a show that was about the Bible, but not sure all the details, and I havent been able to find that story in the Bible. Does any one know where that story originates from?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It isn't from the bible, its a Jewish midrash. It was Abraham I think.

3. Rooster

Rooster New Member

ooohhh :confused: what is a midrash? if I may trouble you with another question. [​IMG]

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well, I just got finished looking it up, so I'll tell you :D
    As far as I understand, it is a traditional Jewish teaching, or compilation of such teachings, passed down through scribes similarly to scripture, but I don't think the jews believe them to be inspired. I think they are used as supplemental teachings to the scriptures.

This particular story of Abraham and the idols, it seems, is subject of some controversy as to whether or not it was in the Quran before the hebrews heard about it.
    http://www.geocities.com/freethoughtmecca/sayfallaah.html

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

At least one midrash made it into the NT. These stories are handled as historical fact. At least that's how they are presented to Orthodox Jewish children. [​IMG]

Some others: The serpent in the garden was of a race of creatures that originally had arms and legs and were intended as personal servants, Noah invented agricultural implements, the Torah (first 5 books of OT) prexisted the world, as black fire on white fire (or was it the other way around), God created the world looking into the Torah, Moses set up the mishkan (tabernacle) single handedly, Pharoah's daughter's arms miraculously stretched out to get baby Moses from the water, people used to die from sneezing, Moses singlehandedly defeated the giant Og in personal combat, Baalam and his donkey had a VERY, VERY close personal relationship, I could go on and on and on.....

6. mioque

mioque New Member

" it seems, is subject of some controversy as to whether or not it was in the Quran before the hebrews heard about it."
    "
    It's the other way around, numerous Midrashim made it into the Koran.

"These stories are handled as historical fact. At least that's how they are presented to Orthodox Jewish children."
    "
    Often yes, but it can be a little more complex than that. The notion that a story can be true without ever having happened is alive and well in Jewish thought.

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's a midrashic variation or development of Gideon's story in Judges; not quite the same, but the similarities are, er, similar

Yours in Christ

Matt

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

similarities are, er, similar

Yours in Christ

Matt

:rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You kill me brother!
    In His service;
    Jim

9. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Well thank you all for the info

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

This board just helps make you smarter by the insights and things you learn.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But some, of course, choose NOT to learn . . [​IMG]

Present company accepted, of course. :rolleyes:

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is often thought that the verse in Jude came from the Assumption of Moses.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Are you saying that Jude 1:9 is not God-breathed Scripture?

14. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

No, Terry, he's just pointing out that the writer is using a common literary device, allusion, to make his point in Jude.

15. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I count the midrash in Jude as history. But I basically don't believe any of the others (like Adam is buried in the cave of Machpelah, but he's so tall he had to be folded over several times first). I guess some of them could be true, who can say?

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I believe this one too:

2 Timothy 3
    8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

17. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Thank you for the explanation. [​IMG]