1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this heresy?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by benz, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

James 1:19-20 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
    20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
    --Anger is sin.

Pride is sin.
    Self-righteousness is sin.
    Lying is sin.
    Gluttony is sin.

Sin is a trangression of the law (1John 3:4)
    Sin is missing the mark. It is falling short of the glory of God (Rom.3:23)
    Sin is not measuring up to the holiness of God.
    --Without holiness no man shall see God.

With your dichotomy of sin, who is to decided which sins are "big sins" and which sins are "little sins"? The very fact that you do this yourself, Bob, demonstrates that you have set yourself up as god. You have put yourself in the position of God deciding what sin will keep a person out of heaven and what sin a person can still have and enter in heaven. You act like the proverbial Peter at the gate of heaven who supposedly has the keys and opens and shuts the gate to whomever he will. Who gave you this authority?
    How do you know where to draw the line between what is a big sin and what is a little sin? How do you know? Only God knows the heart. That is the key. But you pretend to know the heart of man. Some of thoughts of men may be more wicked in God's sight than the actual actions. Have you ever considered that?

Who made you the sole arbiter of which sins are so-called good sins and which ones are bad sins when all sins are an affront to God, and God hates all sin. He hates pride as much as he hates adultery. And both will keep a person out of heaven.

Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Proverbs 15:26 The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

It is God that decides what is evil, what is sin, what he hates, what is an abomination in his sight. Not you Bob, but God. Sin is sin, and all sin is evil in God's sight. Pride is just as evil as adultery.

#81 DHK, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I only quote scriptures DHK:
    You gave a pretty good list there right from God looks a lot like what I been saying. Sin all you want DHK, just don't teach others to do so.

Now, you say adultery will keep a person out of Heaven. Glad to see you are coming around DHK.

Maybe, you will decide to help me with teaching people to cease from evil and learn to do good.

#82 Brother Bob, Jan 30, 2007
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You misquote from God's Word. You say what you want about sin, not what God says about sin. You can't show from God's word what sins keeps one from heaven and what sin doesn't. You are unable to.
    And slander is a sin, and a grievous one that God hates. Would you like me to quote a number of passages on that one. The slander that you just posted is that I teach others to sin. I have never done that.
    The theology that you teach takes away from the sufficiency of the blood of Christ to cover ALL our sins, and that is a heretical belief.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right, I don't know, and neither do you. You can't say it wasn't or couldn't have been "such and such sins". By your own admission you stated all sin is evil. Paul admitted to practicing evil. All sin would be a possibility, then.
    Not because they commited those certain sins, but because they were UNRIGHTEOUS in the first place. The fact they were living lives consisting of those sins just goes to show they were UNRIGHTEOUS.
    You are still failing to see it was the fact that those people were UNRIGHTEOUS...not that they commited certain sins. I do agree with Paul that unrighteous people do not go to Heaven....but neither do "good" people. Good people don't go to Heaven, (RIGHTEOUS) sinners do.
    It wouldn't have made much difference if he were guility of commiting those specifice sins. He was RIGHTEOUS, and RIGHTEOUS people are sealed by the Holy Spirit. I agree if he used his righteousness as a platform and an excuse to commit those sins he would be a hypocrite, but nobody has argued that.

#84 webdog, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

A person who commits adultery may go to heaven. He may even go to heaven while he is in the act of committing adultery. His sins are covered by the blood.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good, if people who do such things are unrighteous then we are in agreement.

I come not to call the righteous but the sinners to repentance, (turn around) in this life not after they get to Heaven.

Oh, but that is exactly what they are doing. I haven't heard anyone yet say they were the unsaved that were doing those things except now, if that is what you are saying I could rejoice.

#86 Brother Bob, Jan 30, 2007
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A RIGHTEOUS person? Yes.
    An UNRIGHTEOUS person? Never.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but we're not because even RIGHTEOUS peoplecan commit any sin.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the righteous no longer sin, then, as once you repent (turn) from sin you will no longer sin.
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else on here, but in the passage you initially posted, 1 Cor. 6, those specific people were unrighteous. That text was neither a proof text for or against true believers being able to commit certain sin.

#88 webdog, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, the righteous commit such sins that Paul said would not enter Heaven. What a mind thumper.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You can call them righteous, not me.

And then get offended when I say people are being taught accept Christ is a "ticket to sin".

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

*sigh* The point of that passage was not the SINS but the state of those who commit those sins...UNRIGHTEOUS people. Unrighteous people are sinners as well as righteous people!

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

*sigh* The point of that passage was not the SINS but the state of those who commit those sins...UNRIGHTEOUS people. Unrighteous people are sinners as well as righteous people!

You don't believe there is any difference in a righteous and an unrighteous person do you?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

By your own admission you said all sin is evil. Paul admitted to practicing evil, meaning he could have committed ANY and ALL sin. How can you say he was not rightous or unable to commit specific sins?

#93 webdog, Jan 30, 2007
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. Righteous = in Christ, unrighteous = not in Christ. Both are sinners with sin natures, however.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Because in all of Pauls writings he writes in how he is trying to serve the Lord. Never does he talk of such things as he listed of people who will not go to Heaven. He didn't say whether they were righteous or unrighteous. He listed the Unrighteous as one of those sin.

Paul was not an apostle of God and teaching men not to do such things and to cast such a one from among you and with such not to walk and him being guilty of the same things.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I mean you don't believe there is any difference in their lives. You believe the righteous sin the same as they did before they were righteous and were unrighteous.

Do you think Paul was guilty of adultery?

He was guilty of condoning killing and maybe killing himself before he repented but do you think he killed anyone after accepting Christ?

#96 Brother Bob, Jan 30, 2007
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The criteria for entering into heaven is not whether we have certain unconfessed sins or not. In fact it does not depend on sin at all. Here is what Jesus said:

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The crieteria for entering heaven is based solely on belief in Christ. Either that is true or Christ is a liar. Which is it? It is not based on my sins at the end of my life. It is based on whether I have trusted Christ as my Savior or not. And that is it.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He did say they were unrighteous. The labels (murderer, adulterer, etc.) were added for emphasis. Just because there is not documentation of him admitting to any one of those sins in 1 Cor. 6 doesn't mean he didn't commit them. I write about serving God, and growing as a believer and I don't freely admit the sin in my life to everyone.

This text seems to say that true believers were in fact doing the very things you claim true believers cannot do...

1Co 5:1 It is widely reported that there is sexual immorality among you (the church), and the kind of sexual immorality that is not even condoned among the Gentiles--a man is living with his father's wife (adultery).
    1Co 5:2 And you are inflated with pride, instead of filled with grief so that he who has committed this act might be removed from among you (fellowhip).
    1Co 5:3 For though absent in body but present in spirit, I have already decided about him who has done this thing as though I were present.
    1Co 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, along with my spirit and with the power of our Lord Jesus,
    1Co 5:5 turn that one over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the Day of the Lord.

How can an unrighteous adulterer have his spirit saved?

1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived: no sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,
    1Co 6:10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, or swindlers will inherit God's kingdom.
    1Co 6:11 Some of you were like this (unrighteous sinners); but you were washed (became righteous), you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, He did not bear our sins on the Cross?

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, there were many Jews who had not accepted Christ as the Messiah among them and Paul was trying to get them to repent or the church to cast them out.
    As a matter of fadt, something like I am trying to do now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.