1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is this Prevenient Grace?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Nov 15, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, when the phrase “prevenient grace” is used in theological discussions, it is used in a specific way. In the context of the on-going Calvinism vs. Arminianism debate, prevenient grace is referred to in order to object to the Calvinist doctrine of irresistible grace.

Personally in my over 50 years in the church I have never heard of prevenient grace. Good reason too prevenient grace is referred to in order to object to the Calvinist doctrine of irresistible grace. That is probably the reason I never heard of it... Anything other than Irresistible Grace is none other than the devices of men... Yeah hath God said?... Brother Glen

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are aspects of Calvinism I disagree with. I think in the case of prevenient grace vs. regeneration the argument is mostly about semantics but also about the sequence of salvation.

In my view a person is convicted and convinced by the Holy Spirit of several things: 1. they are a sinner. 2. They are condemned by God because of their sin 3.They need a savior. 4. That savior is Jesus. 5. Salvation is by repentance and faith in Jesus' finished work on the cross.

At some point, God willing, there is an "aha moment" where these things become crystallized and revealed as TRUTH and saving faith results in the sinner. This is when a person becomes born again. Calvinists call the "aha moment" regeneration followed by salvation. Some have even said there could be a time delay between regeneration and salvation. I believe that moment is the same thing and happens instantaneously. (This may or may not be accompanied by a 'sinners prayer', and let's be clear, the prayer doesn't save anybody, but serves as a heart felt confession of newfound belief.)

To me regeneration is salvation. Up until that moment the Holy Spirit has been drawing the sinner to the truth. Man does not flip the switch from head knowledge to saving faith, that is all done by God.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the doctrine of total spiritual inability, the Fall resulted in all mankind being unable to seek God and trust in Christ. Two solutions have been concocted for this fiction. On one hand, God chose some individuals before creation to be saved, and uses Irresistible Grace to enable them to trust in Christ overcoming the effects of total spiritual inability. On the other hand, the concept of Prevenient Grace was concocted whereby all mankind is enabled to overcome total spiritual inability, thereby allowing the lost to seek God and trust in Christ by their own will, but in this concept they are not compelled to believe.

Both constructs are fiction.

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Van your conclusion is the both of these belief system I will call then that are fiction... If someone like yourself has come to that conclusion weighing all the evidence then what to you is the truth?... Brethren on here will make a statement of belief and back up why they have come to that conclusion by using scripture... So what is your answer and do you have one or are you just against both of these beliefs with no belief of your own... I sure brethren on here would like to know how you see it... Brother Glen

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read an article last night about John MacArthur espousing, I'll put it more mildly as, "a form of Prevenient Grace" to save argument on semantics BUT will say I'm not surprised at the back pedaling to supporting this "form" of grace in order to avoid obvious theological difficulties regarding the need to uphold biblical conditions of salvation.

http://evangelicalarminians.org/a-c...surprising-source-spoiler-its-john-macarthur/

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Brother Glen, I have laid out, using specific scripture why I believe "total spiritual inability" as the result of the Fall affects all people all the time is fiction. And I have backed up this view numerous times, and for you to suggest otherwise is without merit. But it is fine for you to ask why I believe "total spiritual inability" is mistaken doctrine.

First, the concept has no support in scripture. Advocates point to Romans 3:11 which they say means no one seeks after God "at any time." But the "at any time" is added. Another way to read the passage is no one seeks after God all the time. Thus we are all under sin. Or no one seeks after God when they are sinning, and so we are all under sin. The point being the doctrine is not found in scripture, it has been read into it, which is without merit.

If you look at other verses cited to support the mistaken doctrine, you will find the same thing, i.e. an added thought to create the support. For example, because of the Fall, everyone is conceived in iniquity, which means separated from God because God is holy. This separation is referred to as being dead in our sins (being separated because of being in a sinful state.) But being "dead" spiritually is never said in scripture to result in total spiritual inability, that definitional assertion is added by advocates of the doctrine.

Now lets turn to Matthew 13:1-23. If the Fall resulted in everyone being unable to seek God and trust in Christ, why did Jesus speak in parables? Because some could understand, but God's timing did not want that to happen at that time in Christ's ministry. Later, yes. You will find no answer for the need to speak in parables, and thus total spiritual inability is demonstrated unbiblical. But no one will admit it because in their minds, 400 years of great theologians could not be wrong.

Now lets turn to Romans 11 where God hardens the hearts of unbelieving Jews to facilitate the spread of the gospels to the Gentiles. Again, God would not need to harden hearts if the Fall had made them already unable to seek God and trust in Christ. Again, you will find no answer, but you will be unable to agree because "400 years of great theologians could not be wrong.

God bless,

Van

#26 Van, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your response... Do I agree no!... I will not debate the matter either... Since you have an opposing view to both points of doctrine just wanted your take on it... Now I know!... Brother Glen

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen, thank you for not posting up 400 years of mistaken views.

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a little dig but my hide is stronger than that and I won't go there... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 3
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And again I thank you for not going there. Total Spiritual Inability has been demonstrated unbiblical time and time again, yet not one advocate has agreed. Oh I know, 400 years of great theologians could not be wrong.

11. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. And when Calvinists say regeneration precedes salvation we're talking about logically preceding...not necessarily temporally preceding.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van keeps talking about 400 years ago. Van,what happened in 1615 that has you hot under the collar?