1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this really worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Mike McK, Oct 31, 2005.

1. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Sorry guys but I need to help you get the facts straight. Patch the Pirate is Ron Hamilton, or vice versa. His father-in-law is Frank Garlock. Garlock is also a composer and music teacher. He was associated with Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian College for many years.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Probably happenned when the very first song was ever written.
    Where is it written that all church music must be as you define such? We'd have to omit quite a few hymns from the Baptist hymnal then.

To answer the topic question of "is it really worship", that's entirely up to the worshipper.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ok Mike........yikes.

So I included them all! Right? Frank (garlock) with RON Hamilton!

I think it works.

Just kidding......Im sorry. I really thought I had my names straight. Thank you for setting it right.

Ron Hamilton has still written lots of good songs, whatever his name is. [​IMG]

4. Matticus

Matticus New Member

I read those lyrics and glanced at the comments...here's my take: of course it's worship, but those are really poorly written lyrics...there's not really a central theme, it's just a ramble...anywho. I think that may be a lot of the issue with CCM some people have, more than theology or sound, it's just poor lyrics.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think part of the problem is that everyone naturally assumes that their preferences regarding music is worship.

The problem is that worship is much deeper than that and it is about our heart and our spirit before a living God. It goes much deeper than music. Some of the best moments of worship in my life have been in complete silence at the altar in my church.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I agree whole heartedly with your statement Pastorsbc.

They who worship God must do so in spirit and in truth, not with the emotions. Worship can be emotional for sure. We are to worship God with our spirit (Mind) not our soul (emotions).

Too much today is passed off as worship when it is nothing more than an emotional good time. Can you imagine the Apostle John on the isle of Patmos, seeing the heavenly vision of a purely righteous and Holy God, start doing a disco dance and waving his body everywhere? No the Bible says he fell down as a dead man, the way most did when they were in the presence of holiness.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't know that that's true. This seems to be a pretty recent phenomenon in the church.

It doesn't have anything to do with what I'm defining. I just want to know who we're worshipping here.

I know the baptist hymnal. That might not be a bad thing.

I mean, look, I love "God of Earth and Outer Space" as much as the next guy, but is it really something we need in church?

By the way, I was leafing through an old Methodist hymnal and found a song by Count Basie. Who knew?

If they would throw in some Chet Baker or Lionel Hampton or maybe Julie London, I'll convert back to Methodism.

Worship may very well be in the eye of the worshipper, but what happens when worship by the worshipper becomes worship of the worshipper or worship of the act of worship?

Now Playing: Bonnie Raitt – “Home Plate”