1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is this stimulus?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by donnA, Mar 26, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My wifes is about right I guess... According to the website,we get $800 so if you divide $800 by 26 checks it comes to about $30. Not sure how they came up with $3 unless your hubby works for tips so gets a very small salary...

Now if 100 Million people get $30 bi-weekly then that is $3 Billion of bi-weekly stimulus which I call stimulus...

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

ah, makes it more difficult. how can she have gotten $20.96, when only $13. was promised? Of course his promise means nothing, since we got less then half the promised amount.

$3. is not stimulus.
    And no he does not work for tips.
    And obama said every tax payer, not some, and then he gives some more money then promised, and other almost nothing.
    I don't see how $3. is restoring fairness to the tax code. Especially when $13. was promised.

whih families should that be, the rich ones only, friends of obama, illegals, who? Because it isn't people here thats for sure. I haven't heard one person who got $13. here.

#22 donnA, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You say this time and time again. It sounds like a broken record. Where is this promise? The only thing I can find are statements that say that a typical family will see 13 dollars more a week. Maybe your situation isn't typical? Maybe you don't have as many exemptions listed on your w-2 as a typical family?

Please provide a reference to the promise you keep refering to.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ask LeBuick, he posted it in the news forum a month or so back.
    If you don't mind being taken in by a liar like obama, go right ahead. But I'm not volunteering to worship obama and be fooled in by his lies.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GWYA_enUS313US313&q=$13.+week+obama

5. matt wade

I'm asking you because you are the one that is saying, over and over again, that he promised 13 dollars in every paycheck. Where's the source for that?

I'm not volunteering to worship Obama or be fooled by lies either. I don't worship him at all and, in fact, I wish he wasn't our President. In regards to lies, however, I do like to know what is a lie and what isn't. That's why I'm asking for a reference to this promise.

6. targus

targus New Member

Uhhh... yeah, you keep saying that.

If Bush's $600 single - $1,200 joint lump sum checks didn't stimulate the economy... why do you think that an even smaller amount of weekly chump change will?

By the way, it's OUR MONEY to begin with.

Why don't you support the government not taking it from us in the first place?

That actually would stimulate the economy.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29314485/

What a waste of tax-payer's money.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You are speaking from emotion and not paying attention. First of all, I am not the one who came here with the $13 dollar number. If you look at the math I presented I said, "$800 by 26 checks it comes to about $30".

That is $30 biweekly which is $15 per week. So the actual number is $15 per week and not $13 per week.

And I don't know how you figure you get less than half that is promised since it is a tax not being subtracted from your take home pay.

It is not every tax payer as the GOP keeps saying, it is every working tax payer since non working people don't pay payroll taxes so there is no place to give this credit.

2. You said he would get $3 but have given no proof except to say that is what his boss said. Is his boss Republican? Enough said...

3. My wife got $20 so I believe she got her money when you consider his pay increase at the same time. Either way, it wasn't $3 by a long stretch.

I hope you can find a non-partisan person who will be truthful with you. I know the right has been twisting this tax cut since day one but from what I can see Obama came through on his promise and it is stimulus.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We learned from Bush's mistake... He made an honest mistake and I don't hold it against him.

Bush gave the tax cut as a one time credit. We saw a blip on the screen that was just that. A blip. Besides, many people paid debt and did other non stimulating things with that money.

What we learned and what Obama is doing is releasing the money slowly into the economy and over a period of time. So instead of the single blip like we got with the Bush attempt, the theory is we should see a sustaining increase in consuming over a period of time.

How much... Again, if 100 Million working people get $30 bi-weekly then that is $3 Billion of bi-weekly stimulus spending... That would be $3 billion over the length of the tax cuts but like ReformedBaptist posted, it tapers off at the end which we hope to see the increase consumption maintain itself because the unemployed will be back to work.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Show me where I am wrong... :thumbsup:

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I once educated a lady on how to stimulate her own little world

She was telling me how it was tough to "make ends meet" "Just not enough money, Preacher!!" type talk

I asked her how much she spent each year on cigarettes and she couldn't tell me so I put it out in front of her

Lets just say you smoke a pack a day at $3/pack

Then lets just say there are 365 days in the year----because you're gonna smoke on Christmas Day and at Thanksgiving and on the Fourth of July------so factor in the holidays, too-------365 days at $3/day-----what does that come out to????

$1095.00/year

Imagine ---------- if you would quit smoking------what you could do with the "stimulus" money??????

Whats wrong with the Obama $3.00 "stimulus" is-------folks can't see the "far" side----like that lady with her cigarettes------$3 is "chump change" but if at the end of the day----when you get ready for bed at night---take out your wallet and put $3.00 in some sort of little "Squirrel Hole"-----and do that every night before you go to bed----at the end of the year you would have $1095.00 to "stimulate" the economy any ole way you wish-------a new TV set------a new PC------a new washer and dryer-------a new 'frigerator/freezer

See how easy it is to stimulate yourself-------we don't need Obama's mind to tell us how it works-------we know how it works

See-------thats what happened in the Great Depression---------the government stuck its big ole "rear end" into the face of American businesses and sent "fright waves" throughout the population-----the money was out there-----its just that noone was spending it---noone was "stimulating"

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

[quote ]And I don't know how you figure you get less than half that is promised since it is a tax not being subtracted from your take home pay.[/quote]Lets see, we were told $13. half 13 is 6, we got 3, we actually got 1/4 what we were told by obama.
    make sense now?

my husband is a working tax payer.
    And while your at it, obama said 95% od americans, 95% don't pay taxes.

No sorry, pay attention,
    IT'S WHATS ON HIS ACTUAL PAY CHECK, so theres no such things as, just whats he's been told, no, IT'S HE ACTUAL PAY CHECK.
    Understand now?
    And I will not prove our income to anyone on this board, asking for such proof is going beyond the normal functioning of this board, invading my privacy asking for specific numbers. All I can tell you is, his ACTUAL pay check was only $3 more then usual.

well good for you, but ours was $3. nothing you say changes that.

14. matt wade

Where's the promise Donna? You still haven't shown us this promise that Obama made.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Another statement the right keeps twisting, he said 95% of WORKING American's...

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Loved our story... It was very profound... However, during the great depression like with today, unemployment was so high that the money was not "out there" for a large portion of our population.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Par for the course, you've ignored basic economics.

1. It's our money. Try and remember that.
    2. If you pay off debt...that is stimulating the economy. What do you think the debtholders do with that money...wipe their fannies with it?

Now...I didn't like the idea of Bush's stimulus check. In my view, the bloated government we have should quit trying to manage everyone's lives, money, and affairs...and that way, we could keep what we have rightfully earned.

But...since we have a sizable number of folks in this country addicted to "help," and since we have a steadily declining number of folks who are willing to fend for themselves...this trend will likely continue.

But please, try and make economically sound posts.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he did.

And he was still lying.

19. targus

targus New Member

Obama said, "Here is what I can tell the American people: 95 percent of you will get a tax cut."

Want my source? Google that quote. You should get about 1,000 hits.

20. matt wade

Now we are talking! Someone provides a verifiable quote to show that Obama said something that wasn't true. Now we have something to criticize him over. Was that hard?

He has made both statements (95 percent of working people and just 95 percent of people). The second is false and he should be called to the table on it.