1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this true?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sunnydays, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Sunnydays

Sunnydays New Member

I was taught that we are three part beings...body, soul, spirit. That we are spiritually dead before we are saved. So until then we are existing as two part beings...body and soul ( mind, emotions and will . It isn't until the Holy spirit enters us are we now three part beings and that the spirit "effects" our body and soul, but isn't the same as our soul (mind,emotions and will.

Now I am being told NO we are two part beings. That even though our spitit is dead it is part of our soul before and even after we get saved. So in a sense we are still only two part beings, before and after.

So which one is it?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

we are triune in nature, body, spirit and soul. I don't know about not having a spirit until you are saved, but you are certainly spiritually dead before you are saved.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a fairly academic debate. I believe that we are a trichotomy and for once agree with every word in James' post.

I think there is enough ambiguity that we probably won't resolve this debate in this life.

4. Sunnydays

Sunnydays New Member

1 Thess. 5:23

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole SPIRIT and SOUL and BODY be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the SOUL and SPIRIT, and the JOINTS and MARROW, and is a decerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This is what I believe. Check out this article in this link.

http://bothworlds.typepad.com/both_worlds/2005/10/body_soul_spiri.html

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sunny, I think you worry too much. There are some things we somply can't comprehend fully until we go to meet our maker.

6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is indeed a fairly academic debate.

Regarding the Hebrews 4:12 passage: Think about it....you can't take out a knife and cut a human skeletal joint in half so that you have the joint in one hand and the marrow in the other. It's impossible. Rather, the marrow makes up the joint. So I take this passage to mean that the word of God can divide things that normally can't be divided, such as joints and marrow, and soul and spirit. So Heb. 4:12 teaches that spirit and soul can't be divided under normal circumstances.

I take the position we are two part beings, and even that is a misnomer....we are one being, made up in a way that the pieces meld together. We are spirit-body beings, and they cannot be separated normally. That is why our bodies will be physically ressurrected.

7. Sunnydays

Sunnydays New Member

yes but does an unbeliever have a spirit or does he just have a soul?

According to the article before salvation our spirit is dead not being able to relate to God (God conscience) our soul is able to relate to others on a human conscience but not to God.

I think all biblical truths are worth discussing. And I think the two verses shown prove we are one being made up of three parts not two.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Due to the somewhat ambiguous use of the terms, it is very difficult to be dogmatic. It is my opinion that man is a triune being in the similitude of the Godhead. Something inherent in man is dead (spirit) and it isn't the soul (mind, will, emotion).

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Teaching that man is a dichotomous being is the teaching of natural evolution. But, biblically, even the animals have a soul. The soul is the life. Only man has a spirit.

But, when things are stated pretty clearly in Scripture, why should we not try to comprehend it now?

A joint that is made of marrow would be a pretty flimsy joint, especially with the inside on the outside. This passage is showing that the joints and marrow can be divided, just as the soul and spirit can.

Take the human body for instance: A joint can be replaced. (They even expect to have artificial joints for complicated joints such as ankles in a few years.) Marrow, however, has to come from donors. One can be replaced without the other.

Now, marrow is inside of bones, even in the joints. But, they are separate things, no matter how closely associated.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Through the
    body - earth awareness,
    soul - self awareness,
    spirit - God awareness.

HankD

11. cojosh

cojosh New Member

_________
    Through the
    body - earth awareness,
    soul - self awareness,
    spirit - God awareness.

I like that. I believe scripture teaches that we are a trinity before and after we are saved. Before salvation, we are spiritually dead. Just because it's dead doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's there, but it is condemned to suffer the wrath of God. It will remain this way unless it is replaced by the Holy Spirit of God that is obtained when someone is saved. The Holy Spirit is what births one into the family of God.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I agree with others that have posted we are body, soul and spirit. God is is a God of patterns. There is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Man has a body, a soul and a spirit (Genesis 2:7). And in I John it talks about three different sins . . . the lust of the flesh (physical), lust of the eyes (soul), and boastful pride of life (spirit).

Your body is just a physical vehicle. Your soul is a passive responder. It can only celebrate the good things coming down the pike and it can only respond in fear or terror to the bad things it sees coming down the pike. But it can't do anything about them. Your spirit is what is the "doer" if you will. That's why we have to have a new one, because the one we have is corrupted with sin and is incapable of doing anything good.

Body, soul and spirit also corresponds to the three covenants given to Abraham. The land (physical), the seed (soul) and the great name (spirit).