1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Tithing For Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Aug 3, 2010.

?
  1. Yes tithing is for today.

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. No tithing is not for today.

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Not sure.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

How much of this law do you keep?
    How much do you teach others to keep?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Opposition to tithing is based almost exclusively on the argument that we are no longer bound by the law. I'm only pointing out that Abraham, who was not under the law, tithed to Melchizidek (a type of Christ).

If one is looking for guidance as to what portion of his increase is suitable to give to the church, we can look to Abraham as well as the law.

If one does not think it's mandatory, but out of one's heart, that's fine.

Jesus himself thought ten percent was just fine.

Regarding Joses, by definition his gift of 100% of the proceeds from the sale of a piece of land was not a tithe, but an offering.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're a tightwad, you're going to find a reason (read EXCUSE) to give as little as possible!

If you're one of those who is truly thankful for how God has blessed you, you're gonna give "from the heart", which usually means 10% PLUS!

Either side can cherry-pick scriptures to bolster their particular opinion.

4. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

The Apostle Paul, a pharisee of the pharisees would have taught the church to tithe if it was obligatory yet he did not. In Acts 15 with the keeping of the law controversy tithing was not one of the outcomes to keep. No where do we see the church collect the "official" tithe (all the 10th belonging to the Levites). I think if christians want to give 10, 20, 30 percent they can if they so choose but its not law to do so. Also the church took up collections for the saints whom were financially struggling and one of the reasons for this administration of the collection was "for the poor".

2 Cor 9:9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;

I think also the church has the authority to ask the members to support it financially and whatever the needs of the church happen to be. That's one reason I think churches ought to be careful not to waste money. The stone cold reality is things today cost money, bottom line.

Darren

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another reality for today (NO GOTS)

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is just plain poor hermeneutics. Before you find an excuse for not tithing and giving you need to consider if you're just into Christianity for the New Testament of if the other 2/3 of the Bible matter to you.

Besides, I didn't realize Paul was the only New Testament writer that mattered.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

We do not tithe, but our offerings to the work of the Lord has always been well over 10% of our income.

8. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

It's not poor hermeneutics its good observation. If the bible is the completed word of God it contains everything we need to know. Therefore the omission of tithing in the NT speaks volumes. Has nothing to do with making excuses for not tithing (false charge), has to do with what is applicable and what is not. I know people that give more than a tenth as their weekly offering, I know people that tithe. The condition placed on tithing to me is that is a PAYMENT of what is specifically owed (like a debt) and an offering is what you wish to give without any charge that you were even expected to give it (such as robbing God).

I know many tithers whom believe that in order to give an offering one must first pay the tithe amount first and than add the offering amount above, yet they can even quote 2 Cor 9 as their proof text, go figure.

Tithing was part of the whole law, its a slight exaggeration to claim that those whom don't follow the tithe ignore 2/3 of the bible.

Darren

#28 Darrenss1, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Certainly the moral law.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How much of the law did Jesus abolish?

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I hear this argument often, but I don't think it holds water. The practice of marrying a brother's wife who doesn't have children was also before the law. Does anyone think this should apply today also?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's part of the law, isn't it? That's Deuteronomy 25.

13. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Then Gentile christians should rightly be compelled to live as Jews?

A woman caught in adultery ought to be stoned to death, did Jesus abolish that law? Also land owners could not reap on the Sabbath, do christian farmers need to follow that law, especially on the 7th year they could not reap at all? How about the firstborn?

Darren

#33 Darrenss1, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  14. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Abraham gave A tithe of the spoils only once. I can't see how that counts as "tith..ing". I've heard it also said that Jacob tithed as well, how so. If you went through the laws regarding tithing you'll notice that current tithing is a far cry from the judicial requirements to keep the tithe according to the law of Moses. Yet what have you left to enforce tithing if not but from the law. Tithing is practically exclusively bound to the law of Moses.

Darren

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

"What part did Jesus abolish?"

Mt. 5:17, "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

16. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

You tell me.

A woman caught in adultery ought to be stoned to death, did Jesus abolish that law? Also land owners could not reap on the Sabbath, do christian farmers need to follow that law, especially on the 7th year they could not reap at all? How about the firstborn?

There are lots of examples.

Darren

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yes it is, but if you look in Genesis 38 you will see that it also was in practice before the Law was given. Judah withheld his son Shelah from Tamar after the death of his other sons, Er and Onan. This practice was later incorporated into the Law by Moses.

18. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I'm understanding your argument properly, you've got an issue with your use of the woman caught in adultery.

Jesus didn't abolish anything with the woman. The Law required stoning for adultery and the Law required that, on a sentence of death, there be at least two witnesses, preferably three. When all the accusers left (because Jesus, in effect, charged them with sin in the matter) there were no longer two witnesses and, therefore, the sentence of death could not be legally carried out.

So, Jesus did not abolish anything; He radically upheld the Law which defers to grace.

Blessings,

The Archangel

19. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

I would agree to that. I'm saying the same thing, however in the new covenant where is the command for christians to stone anyone to death? Isn't it reasonable than that that particular law to be kept is not applicable to the new covenant because of what? The greater law of the heart, the greater law of mercy, the greater law to love your neighbor as yourself.

Just to be specific, when we are talking about the law, we are referring to ALL the law from Exo, Deut and Lev not just the 10 commandments right? There are many of those specific laws that do not apply to christians, they are only to be applied to Israel, specifically those laws relating to the temple and sacrifices, others for family/laws. Someone already mentioned the law of raising up seed, if the husband dies and has 7 brothers...etc I believe all the laws were summed up into more simple commandments, that of love for the church, the family of God, love for God.

What I've seen of the tithing doctrine today is that it is strongly upheld by preaching from the law. Even those that say tithing was before the law also use the law to criminalize other christians for not tithing.

Darren

20. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Could you comment as you listed my statement, are you saying a christian farmer that say, grows corn for a living cannot harvest his corn every 7th year. I'm not being contentious I simply want you to show me how the law still applies to the christian farmer since Jesus did not abolish the law. :saint:

Darren