1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Tongues talked about in Baptist Doctrine

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pearl, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Christopher

Christopher New Member

(I Corinthians 13:1) *Though* I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. (2) And *though* I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (3) And *though* I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and *though* I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

though = even if

(II Corinthians 12:4) How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is *not lawful for a man to utter.*

The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

†By His grace, Christopher†

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overdose, it would have to be more than one. [​IMG]

For example, Romans 12:9 says that we should abhor (hate) that which is evil. Proverbs 23:7 says that as a man thinks in his heart, so is he. So those that openly sin against God are committing evil; as they think in their hearts, so are they, so they must be evil; I'm supposed to hate that which is evil; so the obvious conclusion is that I'm supposed to hate sinners.

Now, that was a conclusion drawn from two verses; but was it a valid conclusion? No.

So if it's that easy to draw an invalid conclusion from two verses, how much easier is it to draw an invalid conclusion from only one?

So Overdose, can you provide more than just this one verse--1 Cor 13:1--that shows a tongue of angels?

3. Pearl

Pearl New Member

My church is a Baptist church, we do believe in speaking in tongues. How do you explain that? :confused:

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Simple, "Oasis of Hope" is not a Baptist church. [​IMG]

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pearl, I'm sure you've seen my posts to Overdose...so I'm going to ask you a different set of questions.

First question: What tongue(s) is your church speaking?

(and if you're not sure, what Dr. cassidy means is that anyone can slap the word "Baptist" on their church, just as easily as they can slap "Mormon," "Catholic," or whatever. If they're not adhering to historical Baptist beliefs, then they're Baptist in name only)

[ March 15, 2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Don ]

6. javalady

javalady New Member

1 Cor. 14:34,35: women were to keep silent in the churches.
    How many women in tongue-speaking churches speak in tongues, when the Bible forbids it?
    In Acts 2, etc. where "tongues" were found, it meant "languages of men." These were understood by those who spoke that language.
    Yet in the Corinthian church they were speaking "glossilalia"--gibberish that they had brought over from their mystery religions, and practicing in the name of God in church.
    Similarly, linguists have studied modern "tongues." Not a one has been verified to be a true language! Sounds that are repetitive, nonsensical "words" etc. are what fills the modern "tongue." Unless a person knew words of another language & applied them as they were having their moment, they were speaking nothing at all!
    How do they then "receive" this "language"? A combination of answers is insightful:
    Usually the person "receiving" a "language" sounds like the others around them who are babbling. No coincidence, this can be traced to copying what they hear, to a type of hypnotism induced by giving way to emotion.
    The person is sometimes coached to "repeat after me": and make the same sounds the "minister" gives. Thus it is plainly copying, in this case.
    Others claim to receive tongues all by themselves, with no one around. Problem with this? Well for one thing, they were influenced after all, as they generally go to churches that entertain such stuff; or watch "700 Club", etc. that promotes this fluff.
    Scientists have shown that "tongues" are spoken by people who go through stroke, a babbling when half-conscious.
    "Tongues" are also spoken by Jehovah's Witnesses, Buddhists, The Way Int. (cult) and many other abberrant theologies--incl. Roman Catholics who hail Mary, not Christ! In other words, just because no one else was around to copy doesn't mean it's authentic.
    If I was in a church calling itself Baptist that promoted such heresy, I'd leave it & find another, Pearl.

7. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Exactly. Oasis of Hope is chartered as an American Baptist Church but openly admits it is not in the mainstream of the ABC but discribes itself as being closely related to the Vinyard in worship style. I will be traveling though that area sometime soon and may stop in for a first hand look. [​IMG]

8. Overdose

Overdose New Member

Just testing to see if pic works, guess not.
    A Mod please delete this post, It was made on error :D sorry

[ March 15, 2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: ovrdose ]

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist