1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is torturing prisoners Biblical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ivon Denosovich, Oct 25, 2007.

1. kubel

kubel New Member

I think there are examples of what we might call in modern society "excessive force" or "cruel and unusual treatment" in the Bible- but torture isn't even defined theologically, much less condoned (or even condemned for that matter). At least I can't think of any specific examples that would be useful in this case.

Not not every deed is mentioned in the Bible. Not everything is given the label "right" or "wrong". I believe God has given each believer the ability to discern between right and wrong through the aid of Biblical examples and the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately two believers still come to different conclusions.

Forgive me for including modern politics and history into this thread (I know it was clearly not the intent of the OP), but some would argue it would be wrong for a nation to break a treaty (Geneva Convention) that it signed, or to make up a legal classification to get around the definition of POW, and the rights such a person has under the treaty. It's basically a lie, perhaps deceit at the very best. I'm sure we can find plenty of Biblical examples where this is clearly condemned.

Some would argue that the enemy is not following this treaty, therefor we shouldn't as well. But this is like eye-for-an-eye, something Jesus condemned.

Also, some people would argue hypocrisy, which is clearly condemned in the Bible. Example: The Germans (or more precisely, the Nazi Gestapo, among other groups) conducted torture under the classification "Verschärfte Vernehmung" (or "enhanced interrogation", the same term the US uses today). After WWII, the methods of enhanced interrogation were classified as "war crimes", and many were judged by the victorious allies (US) for these crimes.

We each are given the ability to discern between right and wrong. I believe torture is wrong, no matter how guilty or evil the person receiving such torture is, no matter their classification as an enemy combatant or a prisoner of war. Of course, this is only my opinion.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Say You About God?

How often did God tell Israel to completely destroy and kill every living thing in the city they conquered? What if we just followed God's old ways, and completely obliterated every living thing in Iraq [men, women, children[ pets, livestock, etc.]?

What say you Donna?

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges

peace to you:praying:

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because we are not the nation of Israel, and the Iraqi are not the Amorites or Caananites, etc., and this isn't 1500 years before the birth of Jesus Christ.

If you want to follow the Old Ways, you better rebuild the Temple and find a red heifer and a whole lot of sheep and goats.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely you can remember a verse or two that speaks of having mercy upon others. Doesn't Romans 1 speak of those who have rejected God being without love or forgiveness or mercy?

Didn't Jesus tell us that the way the world will know we are His disciples will be because of the love we have for one another?

I see torture as inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ and His apostles.

Perhaps you see it differently.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? Because it's the government doing it?

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because loosing your freedom over criminal acts is not the same as physically torturing a person to get information.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your previous citation:

Romans 12:17 "Never pay back evil for evil to anyone..."
    Torture is evil. Christians ought not to participate in evil deeds

Is it evil-- or is it not evil-- to forcefully take a person away and confine where they choose not to be? If it is evil, this would be paying back an evil for another evil.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you use cruel and unusual treatment often enough, doesn't that make it just "cruel", since it's no longer unusual?

10. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What a strange thread. That it would even be something people would be unsure about is truly frightening, for all of us!

love,

Sopranette

11. stevecleary

stevecleary New Member

The laws of war are clearly established in international law and even the USA is supposed to follow them. Furthermore, God's law is to be respected and upheld, even if one adheres to a just war position.

So, you would say that the deed of somebody else done in your name would absolve you of moral responsibility?

Indeed. As is keeping someone on death row for years on end.

Even your own Republican Party have expressed doubts over the course of action followed by the US in, say, Iraq.

Define radical.....

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'm sorry but there are laws in war. The Geneva Convention defined what was an acceptable way to treat prisoners. The Nazi's were put on trial for "war crimes."

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which has little meaning beyond that many nations got together and lynched them.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So you believe that the Nazi leadership shouldn't have been punished at all?

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Punished," "lynched," whatever you call it, it should have happened to them. The fact that it was a globally-organized lynchmob doesn't change that.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is biblical for governments to create laws that maintain order. Therefore, it is not "evil" for governments to administer punishment, including imprisonment, for those who commit crimes; assuming the government is not corrupt and the punishments are "fair".

If Christians sought to take their own revenge and deal out the punishment themselves, including imprisonment, then that would be unbiblical and therefore evil, since it is disobedient to God's Word.

To torture someone moves the debate into a different arena. "Torture" says much more about those who engage in it or support it than it says about those who are the victims of it.

It is contrary to the teachings of Christ, and therefore evil.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I would say that Jesus knows all about torture, would you say?

BBob,

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes or No -- Is it evil to take a person away where he doesn't want to go and confine him there for years, maybe decades?

You say one thing is evil for a Christian and not for a government. If that is the way of things, how can you show it is evil to torture a prisoner if a government can do things Christians can't?

19. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

So, is it the position of those who believe torture is wrong, no matter what, that we should sit back and not do anything and allow another 9/11 to happen? :BangHead: Personally, I have no problem with our military/government torturing terrorists to extract information about future plans. If it prevents another 3000 deaths, the end justifies the means. I don't believe God would have us sit back and do nothing in this situation. Torturing somebody for no reason would be wrong...torturing someone in a war situation to save lives is not wrong!

20. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

The "end justifies the means" is not a Christian ethos, but secular humanist. It is never right to torture people.