1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is torturing prisoners Biblical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ivon Denosovich, Oct 25, 2007.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

yeah, I can see Jesus accepting that teaching :(

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Putting aside for a minute that torture only induces false information, this is plain sick. How anyone can condone torture is beyond me. We become our enemy by resorting to evil methods. If there is not modicum of civilization, then we can fully expect our troops to be tortured when anyone captures them, and we have not one moral high ground on which to stand.

Maybe you could think better if you quit banging your head.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to see your scriptures that say Christians cannot punish people that commit crimes against them, but a government can, including abduction&confinement. And furthermore show your scriptures about what's "fair;" as you are saying imprisonment is fair, per se, but infliction of pain is not. Show them or shut up.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only show you what scripture says. Whether you accept God's Word or not is a matter between you and God.

There are things the government approves of that Christians have no obligation to support. Abortion is one. Divorce is another. Torture is another.

Torture is contrary to the teachings of Christ. It is evil. Just as abortion is evil. Christians should not participate in it, nor should they condone it.

peace to you:praying:

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already given you scripture and you have rejected it. Therefore, to keep you from compiling your error and deepening your offense against God and His Word, I must refrain from giving you more, since it is obvious you prefer the way of the world to the teachings of Christ.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Jesus was a prisoner and He was tortured. So I guess it's Biblical. Not morally right, maybe, but Biblical.

Yes, it's wrong in the original languages, but if you torture someone in pig-latin, it's okay.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well stated :thumbs:

8. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

May I suggest some:

Christians Can't

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
    But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matt 5:38-39)

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Romans 12;19)

How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
    (Revelation 6;10)

Governments Can:

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. (Romans 13:3-4)

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THEN DO IT!!!!!

10. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would hardly call the Nuremberg Trials a lynch-mob. When you think lynch-mob, you don't usually think of people not being lynched. But, of the 24 main defendants:

12 were executed
    7 were incarcerated for terms of varying length
    3 were acquitted
    1 was declared unfit for trial
    1 committed suicide before his trial

See Nuremberg Trials

As for our current situation, I agree with those who have come out against torture. If we are doing it, then we, by our tax dollars, are supporting it. By "we", I am including myself. Our attempts to elevate ourselves above the fray by declaring our Christian faith, scripture passages, or moral platitudes, don't ring true when we are benefitting from the torture.

Tim Reynolds

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is torturing Biblical?

Aren't we to love our neighbors as ourselves? If there were a man that was known to be witholding information that would save you or your spouse or children from violent abuse, wouldn't you want any and all means necessary to be used to extract that information?

I would. Because that's how I love myself.

So, in Cuba we have enemy combatants that we know have intelligence that can save our neighbors' lives. It seems love would compel us to torture it out of them if we must.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is some of the most polluted logic I have ever seen anyone articulate.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There. What he said. Will that satisfy you, or will you simply reject these scriptures as well?

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The Nazi's crimes were against humanity. If they shouldn't have been judged by a "globally-organized lynchmob" who should they have been judged by? The US? Great Britain? How about Russia?

15. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with canadyjd about the logic (or the lack therein) in these remarks, although I wouldn't have used the word "articulate".

What you seem to have forgotten, or are ignoring, is that those enemy combatants are also our neighbors, and their claim on us is just as valid as anyone else's. When Jesus spoke the parable of the Good Samaritan, it was offensive to his hearers because the Samaritans were viewed as being the enemy combatants of that day. Loving your neighbor is really simple if you limit "neighbor" to your friends and family. But the parable shows that loving your neighbor is anything but simple.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I cannot believe that torture is being seriously discussed as a proper interrogation technique on a forum populated by people claiming to be Christian.

Tim Reynolds

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, you have no answer. :thumbs:

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, that means government can hit you on one cheek then hit you on the other? Why sure-- anybody can read that right there!

Well, well-- the government which 'repays' is the Lord! Ain't that interstin'!

Ask the government, since, according to you, it and the Lord are one and the same.[/I]

Man, do you have a divine opinion of government! The government slashes you, slices you, chops you, or bobs your thumbs off, and they are acting as God! Ain't that comforting!

And who said we have "separation of church and state"! The government and God are one and the same! To hell wilth oppositon! To hell with the right to petition the government and therefore to petition God!

But one question: If "Christians can't" and the "government can," as you say, can a Christian accept a goverment position?

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Will You Do When The Terrorists.....

What Will You Do When The Terrorists.....come over here and take us captive; torture us; rape our women; and cut off heads like killing those menacing summer flies?

Tell me, where does it say in the Bible that we need to be the doormat to our enemies. True, war is often wrong; war is hell; but, war is necessary when it comes to defending our right to live and worship the way we want to live and worship: IN A FREE SOCIETY.

I don't like torture, but, I hate killing others even more. But todays terrorists may well be your friend and co-worker today, and suicide bomber tomorrow.

The liberal approach to war and fighting terrorism will only bring the US to its knees, and once we are there, we will wish we would have said nothing against those who tortured and fought in this war.

Talk to your granddad and see if he didn't see torture being used in WWII. Talk to your dad and uncle and see if they didn't use torture in Viet Nam.

Torture is a part of war. True, it seems inhumane, but it is all part of the ugly side of killing and defeating your enemy in order to maintain your freedoms. A lot has been done to maintain our freedom folks, a lot of things that we would be horrified with if we would have known what was being done.

You have the right to believe that torture is bad....that is why men and women are dying, and have died in other wars...to preserve your right. So keep believing what you want, but, please stop trying to bend Scripture to fit your thoughts.

Don't forget, God did a lot of things to mankind throughout the OT that was very bloody and often without regard for the sanctity of life. He did these things in order to protect His chosen people. So give it up folks....the scripture does not, and can not be used to justify or condemn the act of warfare. After all, God invented warfare, and the end times with be filled with blood, guts, and torture by the anti-Christ.

Pastor Paul :type:

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice you didn't offer any scripture to support your beliefs. Nor did you engage any of the scripture that has been quoted to demonstrate why you think someone is "trying to bend" it.

You just stated a bunch of stuff that could have been stated by any non-Christian.
    You are bordering on blaspheming. Before you smear God you should study the OT a little better, Pastor Paul.
    Again, you are incorrect. Mankind invented warfare. Gen 6:11 "Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence." (v.13) "Then God said to Noah, 'The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them;'"

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This is false. They are evil intent on world domination and implementing a one world religion through the use of terror. This pathetic view is sad and twisted.