1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is using the KJV compromise? - 2nd Attempt!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Paul33, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There is no shortage of valid logical reasons to use a newer translation than the KJV, Geneva, et al. There is likewise no shortage of reasons to prefer an older translation. This is not a KJVO debate, so let it not go in that direction.

It is not compromise to use any faithful translation, be it the KJV, NKJV, NIV, Geneva, NASB, ESV, et al. None has a monopoly on divine authority or infallibility, nor does any have scriptural authority, or claim of preservation, exclusive of any other. To claim otherwise is nothing short of translation idolatry. I worship God, not translations of scripture.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I think you are missing the point.

Fundamentalists claim that we practice ecclesiastical separation.
    We would not cooperate with the Church of England today
    Why do we use a translation done by a Church of England committee?

My answer is above.

Excellent, using a sound, valid translation is not "compromise" no matter who does it.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If using it were a compromise brother wouldn't it be more of a compromise to use a bible with the Roman Catholic vaticanus manuscript for it basis along with a manuscipt found in a trash can in a monastary? I'm afraid there's going to be some kind of compromise whatever you do. </font>[/QUOTE]Possibly. But I doubt it since that text probably pre-dates the papacy and most of Rome's abuses.

However, the TR was produced from RCC possessed manuscripts by an RCC scholar. Any mud you sling at Vaticanus can likewise stick to the TR but much more so.

I don't think this question is out of bounds. I won't use some MV's because I don't trust the translators.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If modern versions are made from the original Greek and Hebrew, and the translators did not sway in their "translation" of the texts set before them, is it truly compromise to use MV's? (ie. NASB, NKJV)

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We are headed off topic again.

Is it compromise for fundamentalists who claim eccleciastical separation to use a Church of England translation? That is the only issue in this thread.

I would be very interested to hear a response to the question from some of the more ardent supporters of a strong KJV position.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is C4K. The quality of the translation stands on its own... and the vetting of good non-Anglican scholars since the early 1800's.

My point was that the same courtesy should work in reverse as well.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

C4K,

Thanks for your refreshing honesty.

If it is acceptable to use any translation that is faithful to the original manuscripts because we "don't separate from books," would I be accepted in a fundamental Baptist church if I were to teach SS class using the NIV?

Again, I'm trying to get to the heart of the ecclesiastical separation issue in terms of what Bible I use.

Thanks for keeping the thread on track.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't think there is a connection at all between the version you use and ecclesiastical separation.

I don't think that means that I as pastor of a local church must let all of my Sunday School teachers and workers use any version they want. I have a view on the translation issue. I expect workers in my church to respect that view - it has nothing to do with ecclesiastical separation.

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

11. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

The question was however that some people have problems with and decry the fact that Modern Versions are ecumenical and some say versions like the NAB,NJB shouldn't be used because they are Catholic. While they may use the KJV which is Anglican. Now to be fair I know non-KJVO's who have the same concerns. So I'm not pointing fingers but just agreeing with Paul33.

12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would seem to me that acceptance and use of the Modern Versions are linked more to compromise than is the KJV.

13. Orvie

Orvie New Member

It would seem to me that acceptance and use of the Modern Versions are linked more to compromise than is the KJV. </font>[/QUOTE]That's kinda silly. Some MV's I could see as compromisingly inferior, but not to put them all in that class. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    BTW, In 1611 the KJV was a MV, didn't the Puritans consider to use it as "compromise"?

14. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

The weakness with the separation doctrine is that everything produced by human beings, including Bible translations, is tainted to some degree by sin (whether those of omission or commission). What we choose to separate from is always somewhat arbitrary, then. The KJV stands on its own merits as an excellent translation, regardless of its origins, and the same can be said for the better modern versions. The guilt-by-association game is one that usually leads nowhere, and is often just a convenient tool we use to bash things we already don't like.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Da Da Bing!

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see I have to duck in again and explain some things. In particular, the concept of ecclesiastical separation is not being understood on this thread.

1. "Ecclesiastical" means pertaining to the church. Ecclesiastical separation is when my church does not cooperate with another church or parachurch organization or evangelistic effort. When I buy or use a KJV it does not contribute any money to the C. of E., does not foster cooperation between my church and an Episcopalian one, does not bring C. of E. influence into my church, does not acknowledge C. of E. doctrine. Using the KJV or not using it has nothing to do with ecclesiastical separation.

2. If one must define not using a translation, book, CD or whatever as separation, it is classified as personal separation, not ecclesiastical separation. Personal separation involves the individual being separated unto God from worldly practices. Personally, though, I don't feel it fits here either. I consider the matter of which Bible version a church uses to be a doctrinal matter, not a matter of personal separation.

3. As a pastor, I can enforce ecclesiastical separation through my leadership. My church will never cooperate with a liberal "United Church of Japan" church in an evangelistic meeting while I am pastor. However, personal separation is much harder to enforce. The pastor who tries to do so must often become a dictator, and that is unscriptural. I freely admit that some (that's some, not most, not half, just some) IFB pastors rule their churches as a dictator and enforce obedience with a big stick on matters of personal separation. I do not, and there are only a couple of my supporting pastors I suspect of doing so.

4. If you want to consider ecclesiastical separation in relation to Bible translations, the area in which this occurs is when a church will not associate with another church on the basis of which Bible translation a church uses.

God bless. [​IMG]

17. Mrs.Woogie

Mrs.Woogie New Member

No, I do not beleive it to be compromise. I am a strong believer in the KJV and IMHO the KJV was written FOR freedom. Freedom for people to actually be able to read the Word of God instead of being blinded by the RCC repetitive scaraments. We are called to be seperated from the world. I don't believe that just because the book was translated under English ruler ship causes one to place that translation in the "worldy" catagory.

There was a comment on page 3 that i wanted to quote because he made a good point. There are many other translation that use the RCC manscripts to translate from. I believe the KJV IS seperated because of that very reason, no influence from the RCC.

Nice to meet all of you! This is my second post here on the board!
    [​IMG]

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I apprecaite the thougts put forth. Can we agree then that the church affiliation of the translators is not grounds for determining the worth of a Bible translation and therefore it is not compromise to use any version based on the denomination of the translators?

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Originally posted by Mrs.Woogie:
    Amen Mrs.Woogie!! Welcome to the Baptist Board and many happy postings to you!! [​IMG]

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Can we agree that to be consistant fellow fundamentalists, we cannot base our decsion of Bible versions on the denominational attachments of those who translated them? We must admit that we do use a Church of England translation. The point is that it is not a bad thing to do so.

Just looking for consitancy here.

BTW, as a side note, the KJV was FAR from free of RCC influence Mrs Woogie, but that will have to be discussed in a separate thread. Welcome to the BB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.