1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is working for Budweiser wrong???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by cojosh, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I understand your position much better now. Thanks.

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Scott J said:

It depends on what is "best" rather than what is permissable.

Then he definitely shouldn't be working for Budweiser. Do the Sam Adams people have an opening?

3. Dunamis XX

Dunamis XX New Member

Personally, it wouldn't offend me at all! But what I find is that we as Christians live a self-centered "ME" life. We are more concerned with what we want and less concerned with the eternal implications it might have towards the unsaved that do not understand a Christian's "drinking liberty".

If I lived in a world without the unsaved, I wouldn't have a problem with having a beer or a glass of wine, however, the lost surround me whereever I go. I know for a fact, that the lost I work with would view me as a hypocrit and it would drive more of a wedge between them and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I think [KNOW] some Christians are indifferent and apathetic towards winning the lost if it cramps their worldly life style. They want their liberty even if it means that their neighbor (who doesn't understand this liberty) rejects Christ and spends eternity in Hell, because they see no difference in the life of a Christian, than their own.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"I think", "you think", "Christian liberty" I even read about "drinking liberty" What in the world are you talking about?
    What does the Bible say? Prov.20:1, 23:31-35, Isa.5:11, 28:7, 56:12, Hosea 4:11, Hab.2:5, Eph.5:18
    I used these verses before and the only comment I got was from ICor. 14:33 "For God is not the author of confusion..." Some spiritual giant made the comment that the verse had nothing to do with working for buddumber. People, it makes no difference what I think or you think when we stand before Christ but what sayeth the Scriptures. The only conclusion I can draw from these posts is that the majority of you people either are not saved or sure don't know much Bible!
    If the verses on the prohibition of alcoholic beverages from the Word of God isn't enough try these. Ex.23:2, Isa.52:11, Eph.5:11, IITim.2:4, Heb.11:24,25, Rom.12:2, IJn.2:15-17, How in the world can the fellow work for an ungodly company if he follows Jn.15:19? In all my years in the ministry I have NEVER ever seen one person that worked for or that had alochol in the home that was an effective witness for Christ. I have experienced some who thought they were but the only people they fooled were themselves.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 31:6-7 -- Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to him whose life is bitter. Let him drink and forget his poverty.

Do you obey the Word of God in this, or do you disobey it?

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Alcott,

we DO give pain-dulling medications to those who are terminally ill. Its called morphine.

We also DO take alcohol to treat various illnesses.......alcohol is in much of our medication.

7. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Alcott, we are not talking about taking medicine. The question was, is it ok for a "Christian" to work for Budweiser.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

"I was walking down a street in my city, and saw a young lad of all of about 16 years of age with an aerosol can and a plastic bag. He was spraying the aerosol can into the bag and breathing in the contents. "

"Was he using the product as intended by the manufacturer? No."

Glue sniffing is so common in some parts of Latin-America that a while ago a large percentage of certain of the locally sold glue brands went up people's noses instead of being used as glue. When for years half the glue your factory produces get's snorted and you keep expanding it's production, I'd say putting it up your nose is just what the manufactorer ordered.
    :(

Who knows how that goes in the aerosol industry...

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is the case then a Christian working for the company that did this should quit.

Not really very difficult.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone added earlier, too many folks share the Corinthian concern over encroachments on their Christian liberty. This chapter makes it clear that our liberty is to be used for God's glory and not just so that we could enjoy material things.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a friend who was running a cotton gin in Arizona near the mexican border until at the advisement of the insurance company he decided to enforce a policy of drug testing. Needless to say he was fired because the gin board knew that many who worked there were taking drugs. If they started drug testing many would be exposed.

12. mioque

mioque New Member

Scott
    "Would you deny that sinners have used the drinking of church members as their excuse for not needing Christ?"
    "
    In this country, absolutely!
    In the US no, but that's a relatively recent selfcaused local problem.

"Would you deny that Christians saved as drunkards have stumbled after seeing a brother drink alcohol?"
    "
    What was that expression? OSAS?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

mioque:

For years I have struggled about living in America in a nice home living like a fat cat compared to so many others in the world. But living like that does allow me to transfer the money I make to the poor.

Is that the blessing of God or curse of man? Sometimes I wonder.

14. mioque

mioque New Member

gb93433
    Blessing of God, no doubt in my mind.

15. mioque

mioque New Member

Shiloh&Scott
    You 2 misinterprete the Bible.
    In Corinthe neither Jew nor Greek opposed the making and drinking of wine.
    Shiloh, you mess up the meaning of no less than 15 Bible texts and you think the rest of us doesn't study enough?

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian liberty which determinations such as "should I work for Budweiser?" fall under since we don't have scripture that says "thou shalt not work for Budweiser".

These things require the application of scriptural principles rather than strict obedience to specific commands.
    In context, these verses relate to abuse of alcohol and drunkeness. They are not strict prohibitions against all drinking of alcohol as a beverage.

OTOH, the fact that customers of Budweiser will commit these sins... by principle, a Christian should not work for that company or any other alcoholic beverage maker/provider.

That is true. And we have no right to stop short of what they say nor to exceed what they say. The Bible teaches against drunkeness. It doesn't say "thou shalt not drink alcohol".

I am saved and know that the Bible is neither to be subtracted from nor added to.

Those verses don't prohibit alcohol and there are many verses that refer to drinking wine without qualifying it as non-alcoholic wine.

Jesus came drinking wine... and the wine he drank caused people to accuse him of being a "winebibber" aka wino.

I believe that they drank wine at the time because of limited options. The water wasn't pure. We now have other options. I believe that it is "best" to choose those options.... but there is still no text that says "thou shalt not drink alcoholic beverages". Therefore, if a Christian does it, they will have to stand before God and make their own accounting.

17. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

OBVIOUSLY!

18. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Dear Scott J, With your line of Bible translation, where does the Bible tell us that we can't rob Wells Fargo?

19. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"interpretation" not translation excuse me.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor did I say they did. 1 Corinthians 10 establishes a principle for how Christians should use their liberty. The apparent question was about whether or not believers should eat meat sacrificed to idols. It was a question of liberty.

Some believed that since idols weren't real that there should be no harm in eating. Others were offended because the meat was associated with paganism. Still others might be drawn back into old habits by using those who could handle it as examples. Others may have been concerned with how it looked to the non-Christians.

The key message is that we are given liberty not just so we can go out and do whatever please us but rather so that we can live to the glory of God. If the consumption, production, or distribution of alcohol might dishonor God, we should avoid it.