1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is working for Budweiser wrong???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by cojosh, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 4:28
    Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give F13 to him that needeth.

Explicitly "steal no more".

Show me the text that says "drink alcohol no more".

Some things require the application of principles and interpretation... some things are explicitly commanded or forbidden. All drinking of wine is not explicitly forbidden.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

...don't jump around too much Scott, someone might think you are dancing.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what respect?

I am simply trying to let scripture speak for itself. It doesn't prohibit alcohol as Shiloh claims. However, it may be an abuse of Christian liberty in contradiction to the demands of others here.

4. JWI

JWI New Member

I will probably be sorry I got in on this, but it seems clear to me that early Christians not only drank wine, but it was alcoholic wine.

1Cr 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, [this] is not to eat the Lord's supper.

1Cr 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before [other] his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

1Cr 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise [you] not.

Comment- Now how could one be "drunken" on non-alcoholic wine?

And it is notable that Paul did not condemn this drinking of wine... "What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in?".

This surely would have been the place for Paul to say that all drinking of alcohol was prohibited. But he did not. He criticized the Corinthians for their selfishness, some eating all the food and drinking before others had a chance to eat and drink, but not for drinking alcohol.

At the very least, it seems to indicate that alcoholic wine was served.

There is also another verse which seems to indicate that early Christians did drink alcoholic beverages.

Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all [ye] that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is [but] the third hour of the day.

Comment- Here Peter could have clearly said that Christians do not drink alcoholic wine, but he did not. He said that the reason no one was drunken was because it was too early in the day.

This actually seems to imply that drinking alcoholic beverages was a normal practice.

So, I am not going to get in on the debate about whether someone should work at Budweiser or not. However, I have felt for a long time that those who teach that Christians only drank non-alcoholic wine in the New Testament are mistaken.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why be sorry? It's 100% the truth.

In fact, a core part of Judaism is observation of the Sabbath every week. Wine was a staple of the Sabbath meal, so much so, that if Jesus, or any of the early desciples, had refrained from consuming wine, it would have been noteworthy enough to mention in at least scriptural account.

No, the scriptural implication is clear: Drunkenness is a sin, but simply consuming alcohol is not. Scripture doesn't even imply that consuming alcohol is a bad witness or is a stumbling block for someone else.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't saying that working for Budweiser is wrong much like saying working for a gasoline company is wrong because the profit which is made returns to Muslim countries?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The rationalization, gb, is that buying gasoline is a necessity. But that simply ain't so. Propane and electric vehicles are adequately available.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If anyone knew about how the Muslims expanded their territory they would have chills running up their spine.

9. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Question to you beer drinking Baptists. Some time ago on this board someone started a thread about Dr. Rod Bell, Tabernacle Baptist Church in VA. It seems Dr. Bell had stood in his pulpit and confessed to his sin of drinking. I guess someone had seen him going to and fro from the liquor store. There was a big discussion and all of you beer drinking Baptists were highly critical of him. Now it seems to me that if your jesus is a beer drinker then why be so critical of a man of God who drinks? Answer: Dr. Bell claimed to be, and the Rod Bell I know is a fundamental Baptist! In you book a fundamental KJV Baptist that drinks and or condones the use of the rotten stuff is a hypocrite. Bottom line: Your jesus might be a beer drinker but the Lord Jesus I serve tell us in His Word to stay as far away from sin as possible.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

"If the consumption, production, or distribution of alcohol might dishonor God, we should avoid it. "
    "
    On that note, if the consumption, production, or distribution of alcohol might honour God, we should do it?
    Drinking wine during the Lord's Supper, or brewing the finest beer on earth to support a Christian enterprise.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

12. mioque

mioque New Member

Shiloh
    "Now it seems to me that if your jesus is a beer drinker then why be so critical of a man of God who drinks?"
    "
    Make that wine instead of beer and I certainly wasn't among the people critical of Bell whom I had never heard of before your post.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No selfrespecting Baptist drinks beer. He drinks ale.

I think that had to do more with the fact that he was a drunk, wasn't he? I could be wrong about the details. But again, if he were simply drinking, then he was not guilty of any sin. If he was drunk, then he was guilty of a sin.
    Your Jesus and my Jesus are one and the same. Jesus drank wine at every Sabbath, and even made wine for a wedding feast. Jesus did not get drunk however.

The mandate to stay as far away from sin as possible is not a mandate to refrain from consumption of alcohol for all Christians.

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Shiloh said:

Some spiritual giant made the comment that the verse had nothing to do with working for buddumber. People, it makes no difference what I think or you think when we stand before Christ but what sayeth the Scriptures.

Yeah, well, the Scriptures don't sayeth what you sayeth they sayeth.

The only conclusion I can draw from these posts is that the majority of you people either are not saved or sure don't know much Bible!

:rolleyes:

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Shiloh said:

It seems Dr. Bell had stood in his pulpit and confessed to his sin of drinking.

Dr. Bell's sin is not necessarily my sin. As I recall, he was an alcohol abuser. His example does not apply to those who do not abuse alcohol.

Jimmy Swaggart once stood in his pulpit and confessed to his sin of womanizing. Shall we mandate that husbands and wives sleep in separate rooms?

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But do you give strong drink to one who is dying, and wine to one whose life it bitter? You seem to be a liberal who thinks the Bible must be interpreted, or reinterpreted, 'in light of modern knowledge and progress.'